mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Vert Ramp bike suggestions

I just bought a home that has a 10 ft vert ramp/halfpipe in the barn. Although I don't plan on getting too crazy on the thing, it would be fun to get a bike and at least learn to drop in and maybe even get above the lip. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1989 and every time I get on a BMX bike, I feel like a fish out of water. I work at a bike shop, and one of my co-workers asked me why I was going to get a Mirraco bike if I hated the feel of a BMX bike. He thinks I should get a Spesh P bike since I'd feel more comfortable on it. I kind of agree with him. I would also use the bike at a local pump track. So, I'm looking for advice on BMX vs DJ MTB and rigid vs DJ susp fork (P1 vs P2). All suggestions/opinions are greatly appreciated.

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Get a modern 24 inch bmx bike. Something with a longer front end, shorter back end and higher BB than the old race bikes.

You might be a candidate for the new 22 inch wheel bmx bikes that are starting to come out.

mtbr member
    check out this thread:

BMXmuseum.com Forums / "Vert: the final frontier for cruisers?"

In particular watch the Mike Montgomery video

when you say you feel like a fish out of water is that because you're used to an xc bike where you sit down all the time? have you ever ridden a DJ mtb where you stand all the time?

Vert ain't no joke so you def wanna develop some bmx-style handling skills on street and small jumps before you hit vert, whether on 20, 22, 24, or 26DJ.