Thread: Urban Tire

SS FR HT

Urban Tire

Hello,

I am looking to buy some urban tires for my jackal. Right now I have a bling bling up front and a larsen tt in the back for freeride, dj and 4x. I would like some really fast rolling tires that wont pinch flat and take abuse. im not doing big urban stuff, im just a bigger rider
    (220lb) that likes to do a lot of stair sets and cement stuff. I was thinking of the micro knobbies but I dont think they would be strong enough. Im not to worried about tire weight. What about hookworms?? anything else??
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

mtbr member
    Hookworms are pretty heavy, but they will take abuse. I am running some snafus as they were really cheap and they work pretty well, but i see they discontinued the models i was using.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i wouldnt go micro knobbies i loved them at first but they wore really fast and sucked when it got muddy. i want tioga to make these in 26" http://www.tiogausa.com/bmx/tires_powerbock.html. the look great and if my 24" project ever gets finished thats what ill run for sure.sorry i didnt really help at all
    Bikes are better then women, at least you get to ride them when ever you want.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2.3 Specialized Rythm Control's have been quite possibly the best tire I've ridden on the street, compared to all the tires I've ran on my 20" too...

SS FR HT
    How high can i pump the Specialized up to? i know the hookworms can be pumped up to 110psi. I have pinch flatted three times this year. These are just going to be urban tires no mud or loose dirt. In the summer it gets really dry here(at least last year) and any mud turns to hardpack in a day or so.
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

SS FR HT
    How come the good tires get discontinued. The same thing happened to bling blings

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
    How high can i pump the Specialized up to? i know the hookworms can be pumped up to 110psi. I have pinch flatted three times this year. These are just going to be urban tires no mud or loose dirt. In the summer it gets really dry here(at least last year) and any mud turns to hardpack in a day or so.
    I believe the tires are rated at 60 or 70 psi, I looked but they are pretty beat and it's illegible... I tried them at 80+ but found no real benefit compared to 70psi... never ran into any pinch flats or dented/bent a rim so I run them at 60-70psi. Oh, I am 170# geared up...

SS FR HT
    thats 50lbs more haha (simple math is my strong suit )

This is my first urban rig so im not really sure how much pressure to run. I ran 23-25psi on my FR/DH rig. All of this is sort of new to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Honestely,I'm running maxxis ardents this summer.They are very light,foldable beads,with some fast rolling knobbies.My last two bikes came with kendas and they are way to heavy.Not great tires,just heavy.

mtbr member
    I'd personally go for a medium... Holy Rollers make a great street tire, AND dirt tire as well. I love mine, I'm pretty big and not smooth at all, but I think I've only pinched once or twice this past summer, and that was cuz I was running too low of pressure.

BUT, hookworms are the best if you want all-out durability. DH casings that take high PSI, you'll never flat. But they're heavy as hell. I lost around 1.5lbs when I swapped to holy rollers.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    +1 on the Hookworms.

I've got a set of brand new Krads but I just can't live without my Hookworms. They seem flimsy compared to my maxxis'.

They're heavy, sure, but they'll take anything you can throw at them and they have such awesome sidewalls, you can really lean w confidence.

I run a DH casing out back and just a regular in the front, and I pump them up till they're rock hard. I've never gotten a flat.

Meh.
    Hookworms are ridiculously heavy, but they're about as durable as you'll get. You'll notice the unsprung and rotational mass.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Indeed...I don't think I'd run them on a 26", but for 24"s it's a really solid package.

GAME ON!
    i love the potential of the hookworms, but goddamn, they are heavy.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

SS FR HT
    yeah the rotational mass is going to be a little bit of a problem but there cheap and durable. These tires are going to be just urban tires. Something that I can ride around Milwaukee with, and the skate park.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Dude Hookworms def aren't the cheapest out there....expect to spend a $100 for a set. When Kenda is selling Krads at $20 a pop, that's a really big price difference.

I can't find them for less than $45 a piece plus shipping, bc here in Dallas no LBS will ever carry this type of tire.

SS FR HT
    the lbs can get two for 50 free shipping

Yo!
    mtbr member
    You're kidding me...

In 26"?

NM, I just searched a little more thoroughly and found some 26's for $28 a piece....

mtbr member
    hey andy what LBS are you using around the osh?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hookworms, while heavy, will take all the abuse you can give em.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i ditched the micro knobbies and went with crossmarks. there great light and got 2 for 30 bucks at performance
    Bikes are better then women, at least you get to ride them when ever you want.