mtbr member

urban riding noob

What's up guys,

I'm a lifetime skateboarder/snowboarder who has always had enjoyed mountain biking when the previous two activities weren't proving painful enough. Recently I took a ride out on a buddy's DJ/urban rig and fell in love. I bought myself a Kona Scrap and have had a blast riding it so far (lots more fun to ride/hop/dork around on than my XC bike, which was all I had really ridden previously).

I basically ride it like a skateboard-it's kind of what I know. I enjoy mostly just tooling off-trying to keep my balance on narrow ledges, etc...and then of course jumping it off loading docks, stair sets, you name it. From talking to the 'hip crowd' at the LBS, it seems that guys doing drops to flat urban style are considered kookish or whatever...I kind of got the "why would you do that? It ruins your knees and ankles and destroys your equipment" attitude.

The difference for me is, after skating my whole life, 100mm of travel in front feels like a f-king Sealy Mattress to me on an 8 set to flat. Am I retarded? Is there something wrong with me? Or am I just weird and masochistic and enjoy routinely breaking equipment?

When in doubt, go faster
    Nope, your just one of us .
    I was amazed to find that their were other people doing what i did, but now i'm used to it.

mtbr remember
    First of all, welcome to the urban/dj/park forum.

well, sounds like there's some unneeded arrogance floatin' around your LBS.
    Maybe they need to checkity-check themselves before they wreckity-wreck themselves...
    not only bad for buisiness, but makes them look like conceited yuppies.
    after saying that, yeah, I don't really push drops to flat, or think they have a "cool" factor or anything, but I've got an open mind. Let people ride... some either find out the hard way if they are doing something wrong, or they push the sport and themselves at the same time trying something new that everyone else may have shunned upon.
    Next time one of those dudes bashes drops to flat, tell him/her to check out Trials riding.
    Schralp it Heavy.

When in doubt, go faster
    Yea some trials will shut anyone up about drops to flat .

mtbr member
    the whole drops to flat thing is a very debatable subject in the MTB world...for Street riding if you dig doing drops then you can't really help but do them to flat. believe me...when i started riding, i was always hitting drops to flat a ton. i was coming out of the BMX world which just like the skate world, has tons of gaps/drops to flat. so its not that unatural to want to do them on your MTB.

these days...my riding has changed a ton and when it comes to riding street im doing wallrides, abubacas, manuals, and sometimes the drops to a trani that i can find. just ride though....i would try learning the more tech tricks because that is what will really open up street riding to you.

mtbr member
    right on...glad to know there are others out there like me.

If you guys ever end up in Austin for any reason-bring your bikes to ride downtown. It's like a candy store, and the cops are usually pretty mellow if it's at night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    the whole drops to flat thing is a very debatable subject in the MTB world...for Street riding if you dig doing drops then you can't really help but do them to flat. believe me...when i started riding, i was always hitting drops to flat a ton. i was coming out of the BMX world which just like the skate world, has tons of gaps/drops to flat. so its not that unatural to want to do them on your MTB.

these days...my riding has changed a ton and when it comes to riding street im doing wallrides, abubacas, manuals, and sometimes the drops to a trani that i can find. just ride though....i would try learning the more tech tricks because that is what will really open up street riding to you.
    I am starting to see what you mean already-as my skill set expands I start getting a lot more ideas of creative stuff to try. The great thing about riding a bike is that there are so many ways to hit so much different stuff...and the fact that you can roll over things easier makes finding shreddable spots noticeably more efficient than on my skateboard.

Definitely having fun though...i feel like a kid again, I want to ride every day.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    haha...drops to flat are fun... i was doing a 4'+ drop to flat today on my trek7000.....haha
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.