Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 63

Thread: Urban fork

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NoneSoVile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    58

    Urban fork

    Which forks are best for urban riding?? I currently have a 2004 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III but I plan on buying something ment more for urban riding in the next 5-6 months. I want a fork with a decent amount of travel (not too too much travel because I don't wanna bob everytime I pedal), **lighweight** and most of all durable .
    Like I said, i'm not in a huge rush to purchase a new fork, I just want to start looking around. By the way, my bike is a Haro Werks.



    Thank you

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ikilledkenny2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    223
    Pike 454
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

  3. #3
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,663
    Several used Shermans or Gold Labels to be had on Ride Monkey classifieds in the $200 neighborhood...

    JMH

  4. #4
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Sherman Jumper, Stance static, Gold label, Argyle ...thats about it. I perfer the Sherman Jumper. totally a sick fork.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  5. #5
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    a slammed marzocchi by nemesis if you wanna spend that kind of money . . .

    Go with a new gold label. You can get 'em on pricepoint for no more than $350, black OR white!
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  6. #6
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    a slammed marzocchi by nemesis if you wanna spend that kind of money . . .
    What makes a slammed Marzocchi "the best" for urban?

    Personally I would prefer a Pike due to the versatility and compression adjustment. Their floodgate system is pretty sweet, nice stiff compression for popping off the lip but you can adjust the blowoff threshold so it activates under hard hits.

    Only thing I do not like about the Pike is the maxle, would prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle without extra stuff sticking out waiting to get bashed.

  7. #7
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    What makes a slammed Marzocchi "the best" for urban?

    Personally I would prefer a Pike due to the versatility and compression adjustment. Their floodgate system is pretty sweet, nice stiff compression for popping off the lip but you can adjust the blowoff threshold so it activates under hard hits.

    Only thing I do not like about the Pike is the maxle, would prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle without extra stuff sticking out waiting to get bashed.
    yea, would a pike actually work ? I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  8. #8
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    yea, would a pike actually work ? I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?
    You and DirtyHarry are talking out of your respective asses again.

    The Pike is probably the best fork out of all the ones mentioned. The Argyle is roughly the same. It uses steel stanchions instead of aluminum ones. The Maxle is really not all that vulnerable to damage.

  9. #9
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by ikilledkenny2
    Pike 454
    If you are getting the pike, get the 426, same adjustements, but it is stronger since it has a steel steer tube and a full crown vs. a hollow crown and alloy steer tube.

    A Manitou gold label jump series 2 or rock shox argyle are also great urban fork choices.

  10. #10
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    Oh, best! Sorry 'bout that . . .

    By a "slammed Marzocchi" I mean one of those heavily modded ones bought directly from nemesis. Not a slam kit bought from nemesis.

    A pike would work fine if you didn't huck yourself off of a roof. Probably not the best though. I've only had about five minutes with one, so I don't know enough to give you a good answer.

    I like my Marzocchi. I'll leave it at that.

    Will, WHAT FRICKIN' MARZOCCHI's DID YOU BREAK? You've never said . . .
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  11. #11
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    argyle is way ahead of everyother fork right now in my oppion. as far as dirt jupming and urban is concerned. i've been riding mine for nearly a month now and done alot of jumping as well as alot of street and still havent bottomed it. its air also so you can adjust it to any rider weight or perfered stiffness with little issue. i had a pike before my argyle and it was almost as nice, only complaint is the fact that even with extra firm springs it bottomed all the time. the argyle actually weighs less then a pike 426 and it has steel stanchions. and the 426 weighs less then all of those other forks mentioned if i'm not mistaken.

    and whoever that was that commented on the maxle being an issue has obviously never ridden one and expereience its true beauty. i dont even have a single scuff from something even rubbing agasint my lever much less something openning it up and un winding it five or so revolutions. its simply a non issue. it does work amazingly well though. infnitely faster then any quick release (that the drop outs have been filed down on) and its a 20mm. maxle is the perfect wheel enclosure system in my oppion, fast, secure, simple.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    953
    Rigid, rigid, rigid.

    BMXers do just fine with em.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

  13. #13
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    What makes a slammed Marzocchi "the best" for urban?

    Personally I would prefer a Pike due to the versatility and compression adjustment. Their floodgate system is pretty sweet, nice stiff compression for popping off the lip but you can adjust the blowoff threshold so it activates under hard hits.

    Only thing I do not like about the Pike is the maxle, would prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle without extra stuff sticking out waiting to get bashed.

    I think it's mostly drool factor surrounding the slammed NemPro zokes.... but, that said, it is something that is not really offered on the market with anything else- a super short A2C length with super short travel minimal suspension, and stiff and stout on top of that as well. Fairly light, and we'll see what Brad has up his sleeve with this new lowered Zoke 4X he has with completely custom air cartridges in it to improve damping and even further lower weight. I have an 06" DJ2 and I have been completely satisfied with it. Have thought of lowering it, but don't need to at the moment as my geometry is spot on with the current frame I have. maybe on the next build did I just say that? damn, not yet...

    and "versatility" isn't a word that is often used in a genre so specialized as the street/dj/park area. But, yeah, the Pike is no doubt just that, versatile... (I might put one on a cheap AM bike I'm building over winter, but we'll see how the funding goes.)
    Schralp it Heavy.

  14. #14
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You and DirtyHarry are talking out of your respective asses again.

    The Pike is probably the best fork out of all the ones mentioned. The Argyle is roughly the same. It uses steel stanchions instead of aluminum ones. The Maxle is really not all that vulnerable to damage.
    dude, all you do is talk out of your ass. its not that freaking hard to understand dude. 200 dollar fork will do the same job as the 500 dollar pike. sure the pike is great, but then he'll just have another pike. a pike is nothing special anymore. Everyone has one. so lets see here, you could probably save like 300 bucks by useing something other than a pike...then you could spend other cash on something else, maybe a set of outlaws or something.

    as for me, will. I wasnt "talking out my ass" I was just asking does this guy really need to spend the extra 300 bucks for a fork that he's probably just going to set at 100mm and forget about it anyway ?

    WiLL if anyone here talks out your ass, its you. just leave everyone alone and stop flaming people. you only make people hate you more.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  15. #15
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    I'm torn between 3 forks on my NemPro, Pike(it is ahead as of now) argyle, and gold label(would rather not, I don't like manitou, every fork I have tried felt like crap and all my friends that have them have completely killed them in a month)

  16. #16
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Rigid, rigid, rigid.

    BMXers do just fine with em.
    they aslo do better with little 20"wheels why dont you put those on your bike too?

    I'm torn between 3 forks on my NemPro, Pike(it is ahead as of now) argyle, and gold label(would rather not, I don't like manitou, every fork I have tried felt like crap and all my friends that have them have completely killed them in a month)
    buy the argyle its much nicer then the pike. not to mention its designed for the application. the pike is not designed to be jumped and what not so technically jupming it and dropping it and hucking it voids your warrenty. i had to send my pike back after a few months of riding. i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.

  17. #17
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.
    I am guessing you haven't owned many Rock Shox products before.

    Just kidding. The new RS is different than the old RS, but... whatever. They deserve some heckling for what they have and have not done over the years.

    Honestly though, every brand of fork has problems. What went wrong with your Pike?

  18. #18
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    and whoever that was that commented on the maxle being an issue has obviously never ridden one and expereience its true beauty.
    That was me. I have one. Yeah, it is great system, but I'd still prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle instead. Not a deal breaker by any means! I have no reason to remove my front wheel other than the occasional flat or swapping tires. The cam on the maxle does look a little on the weak side to me though but I have not had any problems with it, so I shouldn't talk trash about it. It does stick out a bit too. I'm a nit picker what can I say.

    Compared to an old school (road bike) QR axle... or the stupid little Marz QR20 flaps... the Maxle blows it out of the water, no question.

  19. #19
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    dude, all you do is talk out of your ass. its not that freaking hard to understand dude. 200 dollar fork will do the same job as the 500 dollar pike. sure the pike is great, but then he'll just have another pike. a pike is nothing special anymore. Everyone has one. so lets see here, you could probably save like 300 bucks by useing something other than a pike...then you could spend other cash on something else, maybe a set of outlaws or something.

    as for me, will. I wasnt "talking out my ass" I was just asking does this guy really need to spend the extra 300 bucks for a fork that he's probably just going to set at 100mm and forget about it anyway ?

    WiLL if anyone here talks out your ass, its you. just leave everyone alone and stop flaming people. you only make people hate you more.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

    Right. Quality of dampening, quality of construction, quality of CS. That's why people WILL and ARE paying for the Totem and Lyrik. Why won't a more inexpensive 66 do the same thing? Why are people willing to shell out over a grand for a Totem when they can buy two Travis forks? Figure it out. Besides, Pikes can be had for under 300, even new. Who cares if it's nothing special? People run the fork because it WORKS. The Argyle is also a pretty sweet fork, it's very similar to the Pike, which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

    DH, you've likely never ridden a Nemesis Zocchi, you just rave about it because people on here rave about it. Not slamming Nemsis (they're a great company), and not neccesarily slamming Marzocchi (meh), but you don't really have a place to speak when you've never had one or ridden one for more than just a couple loops around the parking lot.

    As for the Marzocchi forks I've broken? DJ2 cracked drops, z150 failed ETA and creaky, Drop-Off Comp, top cap exploded and rocketed the air valve off of the cap. And just this summer, I had a z1 with an incredibly irritating creak and clunk. Marzocchi CS lacks, even for shop issues. According to him, Todd has broken a number of Marzocchi forks as well.

    And for what it's worth. I provide plenty of constructive input, and I've helped plenty of people on this forum. You tend to start the flaming well enough on your own, Todd. So what if some grunt or shop b!tch such as yourself hates me?

  20. #20
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    they aslo do better with little 20"wheels why dont you put those on your bike too?



    buy the argyle its much nicer then the pike. not to mention its designed for the application. the pike is not designed to be jumped and what not so technically jupming it and dropping it and hucking it voids your warrenty. i had to send my pike back after a few months of riding. i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.
    Creak, right? Atleast it stopped at the creak and didn't turn into a seperation. I believe it was more than a few months... but hey, what do I know? I've had my Pike since December, and it's been great.

    HB knows what he's talking about.

    BTW dirtyharry, I've mentioned NUMEROUS times the forks I've broken. They're not just limited to Marzocchi forks, they just happen to have the worst CS I've dealt with.

  21. #21
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I am guessing you haven't owned many Rock Shox products before.

    Just kidding. The new RS is different than the old RS, but... whatever. They deserve some heckling for what they have and have not done over the years.

    Honestly though, every brand of fork has problems. What went wrong with your Pike?

    it was creeking remember, i told you bout it. they warrentied it wiht out any issues. new bushings, uppers, seals, overhaul, the works. they definitely hooked me up with it and i definitely still love the fork. its jsut not really designed for what it was getting. goes back to the ibis thread, right tool for the job, you cant expect a fork designed for trail use to hold up to nasty urban abuse. it did its job, and did it pretty damn well. the argyle just does it better.

    manitou still deserves alot more heckling

  22. #22
    AW_
    AW_ is offline
    locked - time out
    Reputation: AW_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,443
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    it was creeking remember, i told you bout it. they warrentied it wiht out any issues. new bushings, uppers, seals, overhaul, the works. they definitely hooked me up with it and i definitely still love the fork. its jsut not really designed for what it was getting. goes back to the ibis thread, right tool for the job, you cant expect a fork designed for trail use to hold up to nasty urban abuse. it did its job, and did it pretty damn well. the argyle just does it better.

    manitou still deserves alot more heckling
    I thought "urban biking" meant riding down to the coffee shop or perhaps a ride along the waterfront on a sunday afternoon. Wouldn't a Pike work well for that?

  23. #23
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    I thought "urban biking" meant riding down to the coffee shop or perhaps a ride along the waterfront on a sunday afternoon. Wouldn't a Pike work well for that?
    are you joking?!?! man you must be an idiot theres no way a pike has enough travel or proper damping for that! you need atleast 150mm of travel for rides to the coffee shop and no less then 170mm for waterfront rides. jeeze you kids tehse days.


  24. #24
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

    Right. Quality of dampening, quality of construction, quality of CS. That's why people WILL and ARE paying for the Totem and Lyrik. Why won't a more inexpensive 66 do the same thing? Why are people willing to shell out over a grand for a Totem when they can buy two Travis forks? Figure it out. Besides, Pikes can be had for under 300, even new. Who cares if it's nothing special? People run the fork because it WORKS. The Argyle is also a pretty sweet fork, it's very similar to the Pike, which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

    DH, you've likely never ridden a Nemesis Zocchi, you just rave about it because people on here rave about it. Not slamming Nemsis (they're a great company), and not neccesarily slamming Marzocchi (meh), but you don't really have a place to speak when you've never had one or ridden one for more than just a couple loops around the parking lot.

    As for the Marzocchi forks I've broken? DJ2 cracked drops, z150 failed ETA and creaky, Drop-Off Comp, top cap exploded and rocketed the air valve off of the cap. And just this summer, I had a z1 with an incredibly irritating creak and clunk. Marzocchi CS lacks, even for shop issues. According to him, Todd has broken a number of Marzocchi forks as well.

    And for what it's worth. I provide plenty of constructive input, and I've helped plenty of people on this forum. You tend to start the flaming well enough on your own, Todd. So what if some grunt or shop b!tch such as yourself hates me?
    DH is much more complex than DH ...lets try compairing DJ street forks, okay ? a street fork just requires simple as sh!t dampening and doesnt need much of anything. the pike is just overkill, a street fork doesnt go near the abuse a DH fork would, why dish out extra cash just to have something that everyone else has, sure it works, but so does the gold label. in this case the gold label might be a way better choice.

    as for the Marzocchi Forks I've broken so far; Marzocchi, 04 EXR comp, 07 Z.1 Sport, 05 MX comp, 05 Dirt Jam Pro, 04 DJ III, 06 Dirt jam comp, 05 66VF, 05 888RC 2005 Dropoff Comp, 04 JrT (actually did last a while though...by a while I mean 4 months)
    Zocchi gave me a replacement 888RC2X for my broken 888RC ..we'll see how it works, heading down to post before it gets too nasty.

    as for the rants. I posted first..just stated that MAYBE the pike might be a little too much, then YOU come on here and flame me ...so who started it now ? doesnt even matter. because like...if my advise was always BS then everyone would call me on it ...not one pathetic person who thinks he knows all.

    dont care if you know exactly how to put together a fork or all the valving systems. I still ride a lot harder than you and go a lot bigger (probably a tiny bit more sketchy though) than you. so I DO know what brakes and I DO know what works for me. dont get all pissed off just because my Stance is a better park/street fork for me than my revelation.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,574
    all i can say is i would recommend a pike...like i have done many other times. i have ran mine strictly for DJ/4X/DS and some urban since last winter and have loved it. no problems yet...and its awesome. i love the dampening and adjustability....IMO perfect for this type of riding. i guess it techniquely isn't made for it but you will see so many people riding them because they just get the job done well. i have the sl model which is like the 426 now i believe? the argyle seems like a good choice too....but i have no ride time on one. i love RS, they really have pulled it together since SRAM came along...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: f0ggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Creak, right? Atleast it stopped at the creak and didn't turn into a seperation. I believe it was more than a few months... but hey, what do I know? I've had my Pike since December, and it's been great.

    HB knows what he's talking about.

    BTW dirtyharry, I've mentioned NUMEROUS times the forks I've broken. They're not just limited to Marzocchi forks, they just happen to have the worst CS I've dealt with.
    will should be muted

  27. #27
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    will should be muted
    What's up with all the negativity all of a sudden?

    I see, you don't need help, so you can be a prick?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: f0ggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What's up with all the negativity all of a sudden?

    I see, you don't need help, so you can be a prick?
    wait is will calling me a prick, dude read half your posts, they are all flame wars

  29. #29
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    No, probably about one percent of my posts flame at anybody. Most of them are at the same people.

  30. #30
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    ummmm . . . <me> cough cough cough

    Sorry, I missed the forks you broke, Will

    Guy who started the post, GO ARGYLE! I think you'll find that fork will do you best.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  31. #31
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    What's up with all the negativity all of a sudden?

    I see, you don't need help, so you can be a prick?
    Will, your fork is an '05, did you get it used? How much abuse has it seen? I'm planning on buying a new '07 just so I get a warranty(forks is something I don't want to be paying twice in the same year)

  32. #32
    Just Ride
    Reputation: zerossix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    ummmm . . . <me> cough cough cough

    Sorry, I missed the forks you broke, Will

    Guy who started the post, GO ARGYLE! I think you'll find that fork will do you best.
    werent you just pushing marzocchi as the best? make up your mind

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    they aslo do better with little 20"wheels why dont you put those on your bike too?
    My BMX has 20" wheels, but most people my age are on MTBs. Thus, I ride both. But damn, my MTB is very BMX influenced.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

  34. #34
    resident dumbass
    Reputation: dirtyharry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    werent you just pushing marzocchi as the best? make up your mind
    No! Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was saying a modded marzocchi from nemesis would make for a good urban fork, but as far as pricing and specificity (that's not a word, I know, but it works!) not worth it so much over getting an argyle.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

  35. #35
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    DH is much more complex than DH ...lets try compairing DJ street forks, okay ? a street fork just requires simple as sh!t dampening and doesnt need much of anything. the pike is just overkill, a street fork doesnt go near the abuse a DH fork would, why dish out extra cash just to have something that everyone else has, sure it works, but so does the gold label. in this case the gold label might be a way better choice.

    as for the Marzocchi Forks I've broken so far; Marzocchi, 04 EXR comp, 07 Z.1 Sport, 05 MX comp, 05 Dirt Jam Pro, 04 DJ III, 06 Dirt jam comp, 05 66VF, 05 888RC 2005 Dropoff Comp, 04 JrT (actually did last a while though...by a while I mean 4 months)
    Zocchi gave me a replacement 888RC2X for my broken 888RC ..we'll see how it works, heading down to post before it gets too nasty.

    as for the rants. I posted first..just stated that MAYBE the pike might be a little too much, then YOU come on here and flame me ...so who started it now ? doesnt even matter. because like...if my advise was always BS then everyone would call me on it ...not one pathetic person who thinks he knows all.

    dont care if you know exactly how to put together a fork or all the valving systems. I still ride a lot harder than you and go a lot bigger (probably a tiny bit more sketchy though) than you. so I DO know what brakes and I DO know what works for me. dont get all pissed off just because my Stance is a better park/street fork for me than my revelation.
    Actually, people have called you out on your BS. Several times.

    Urban riding is very hard on parts, not sure what thought processes occur to you, but in my mind, urban riding is just as hard, if not harder on parts than DH.

    If the Pike's dampening is "too good" or "too much" for urban, than the Argyle would be pretty senseless as well. They're essentially the same.

  36. #36
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Will, your fork is an '05, did you get it used? How much abuse has it seen? I'm planning on buying a new '07 just so I get a warranty(forks is something I don't want to be paying twice in the same year)
    My fork is an o5 because I bought it at the end of o5. It was brand new. I paid 250 for it.

    Any new fork will carry a warranty, it does not neccesarily have to be an o7. I forget if Rockshox does 2 years on their forks as well.

    I ride daily. I used to use it for more "huck" and DH oriented riding. More recently, it's seen more dirtjump and urban action. Given that I am a lighter rider, and not the "best or greatest" out there, I do like to ride, I ride pretty often, and I'm usually not easy on parts. I do take very good care of my stuff though.

  37. #37
    tuck-n-roll master
    Reputation: pavement_hurts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    No, probably about one percent of my posts flame at anybody. Most of them are at the same people.
    He's right. Most of the flaming has been directed. Still, there needs to be less flaming on mtbr. Has anyone else noticed that the site has kinda become like pinkbike? Lots of parts questions and flaming.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    350
    I have a Pike on my DJ bike and love it. Very stiff, easy to adjust, great damping, not to mention the ridiculous versatility allowed by the U-Turn. The Argyle looks nice, but it is a bit taller than the Pike (when the Pike is at its lowest). I'm also not terribly fond of the cromo colored stanchions, but I guess if you're an ultra gnar-gnar urban jibber they make you feel better about your manhood?

    The Pike creaks at the crown/stanchion interface, but it was kind of something I expected. It's not going to catastrophically fail, but I'll likely warranty it over the winter because I don't like creaky things. At least it doesn't sound like a 66...

    More and more I'm being turned onto Rockshox...I'm really liking what SRAM has done with them.

    Todd - Stop talking.

  39. #39
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    DH is much more complex than DH ...lets try compairing DJ street forks, okay ? a street fork just requires simple as sh!t dampening and doesnt need much of anything. the pike is just overkill, a street fork doesnt go near the abuse a DH fork would, why dish out extra cash just to have something that everyone else has, sure it works, but so does the gold label. in this case the gold label might be a way better choice.

    as for the Marzocchi Forks I've broken so far; Marzocchi, 04 EXR comp, 07 Z.1 Sport, 05 MX comp, 05 Dirt Jam Pro, 04 DJ III, 06 Dirt jam comp, 05 66VF, 05 888RC 2005 Dropoff Comp, 04 JrT (actually did last a while though...by a while I mean 4 months)
    Zocchi gave me a replacement 888RC2X for my broken 888RC ..we'll see how it works, heading down to post before it gets too nasty.

    as for the rants. I posted first..just stated that MAYBE the pike might be a little too much, then YOU come on here and flame me ...so who started it now ? doesnt even matter. because like...if my advise was always BS then everyone would call me on it ...not one pathetic person who thinks he knows all.

    dont care if you know exactly how to put together a fork or all the valving systems. I still ride a lot harder than you and go a lot bigger (probably a tiny bit more sketchy though) than you. so I DO know what brakes and I DO know what works for me. dont get all pissed off just because my Stance is a better park/street fork for me than my revelation.

    Todd, you are a robot, a muthahuck truckin' detructo robot. You should be sponsored by Randy Savage and yell "snap into a zzzoke" while beating your chest, everytime you press the enter button on a post. Seriously, you've destroyed just about every single italian import to north america, just start fessing up, that shape of Italy on the map, it's actually your boot in the mud over there when you stomped the hell out of it with your gnarly snaptastic big time body slam style.

    c'mon. So, is your Static's steerer tube still "bending out real fast"? everytime you recommend that fork I think of your comment in the "show off" thread.
    yeah, I think Will is the only one who cares enough to call you out regularly, but doesn't mean nobody else is thinking it.... You don't seem like a bad guy (which of course I have no clue personally) but you do bring it on quite often. I'm not one to flame on here but I know you've gotten on my case several times, as I've called you on other issues as well. then, I saw that regretful apologetic thread in the DH forum, and thought like, oh ok, this guy has finally chilled a little bit.... and here it goes again, a spark just won't bounce off your tinder.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  40. #40
    tuck-n-roll master
    Reputation: pavement_hurts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    636
    Quote Originally Posted by NoneSoVile
    Which forks are best for urban riding?? I currently have a 2004 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III but I plan on buying something ment more for urban riding in the next 5-6 months. I want a fork with a decent amount of travel (not too too much travel because I don't wanna bob everytime I pedal), **lighweight** and most of all durable .
    Like I said, i'm not in a huge rush to purchase a new fork, I just want to start looking around. By the way, my bike is a Haro Werks.



    Thank you

    Look for the super monster on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

  41. #41
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Actually, people have called you out on your BS. Several times.

    Urban riding is very hard on parts, not sure what thought processes occur to you, but in my mind, urban riding is just as hard, if not harder on parts than DH.

    If the Pike's dampening is "too good" or "too much" for urban, than the Argyle would be pretty senseless as well. They're essentially the same.
    DH is more hard. I think just harder on internals, because of the high speed of constantly hitting bumps and then haveing to re prepair itself. whare as urban, it just takes one big hit, then chills for a while.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  42. #42
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    c'mon. So, is your Static's steerer tube still "bending out real fast"? everytime you recommend that fork I think of your comment in the "show off" thread.
    yeah, I think Will is the only one who cares enough to call you out regularly, but doesn't mean nobody else is thinking it.... You don't seem like a bad guy (which of course I have no clue personally) but you do bring it on quite often. I'm not one to flame on here but I know you've gotten on my case several times, as I've called you on other issues as well. then, I saw that regretful apologetic thread in the DH forum, and thought like, oh ok, this guy has finally chilled a little bit.... and here it goes again, a spark just won't bounce off your tinder.

    hey, dont call me on anything, I did no wrong in this thread at all. just suggested that maybe this guy could save some cash. then WiLL is the one who all the sudden spurts onto his period. and no, the stance's steerer is just fine. when I sent it into manitou (with my king) they replaced seals, oil servaced the fork but then for some reason gave me a new steerer because I noticed when the fork came back, no dought it was my fork ...but the steerer tube was uncut.

    I NEVER call out someone on BS ...just a little someone named WiLL gets his little lace panties in a twist every time I post.

    my original post that will got pissed off at

    "I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?"

    I mean dude, the guy is asking for help ...should I just go with the flow and say pike pike pike pike. or should I maybe suggest an actual more park/street oriented fork that will probably cost him 300 dollars less while still getting the job done

    should I just not help at all ? I wasnt trying to be biased or anything, will just orgasmed over the fact that I didnt say "pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike"

    Since when did trying to save people some money become such a horrible thing, and make me such a "horrible person" ?
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  43. #43
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    hey, dont call me on anything, I did no wrong in this thread at all. just suggested that maybe this guy could save some cash. then WiLL is the one who all the sudden spurts onto his period. and no, the stance's steerer is just fine. when I sent it into manitou (with my king) they replaced seals, oil servaced the fork but then for some reason gave me a new steerer because I noticed when the fork came back, no dought it was my fork ...but the steerer tube was uncut.

    I NEVER call out someone on BS ...just a little someone named WiLL gets his little lace panties in a twist every time I post.

    my original post that will got pissed off at

    "I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?"

    I mean dude, the guy is asking for help ...should I just go with the flow and say pike pike pike pike. or should I maybe suggest an actual more park/street oriented fork that will probably cost him 300 dollars less while still getting the job done

    should I just not help at all ? I wasnt trying to be biased or anything, will just orgasmed over the fact that I didnt say "pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike pike"

    Since when did trying to save people some money become such a horrible thing, and make me such a "horrible person" ?
    1. A Pike can be easily obtained for 300
    2. That's real mature - trying to insult me by inferring that I'm a lady. Well I bet that any of the chicks in the DH forum can kick your ass (mine too) on a DH run.
    3. You over-exaggerate.
    4. Nobody said you're a horrible person, just misinformed at times.
    5. BikeSATORI is real funny (and knows his sh!t).

  44. #44
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    My fork is an o5 because I bought it at the end of o5. It was brand new. I paid 250 for it.

    Any new fork will carry a warranty, it does not neccesarily have to be an o7. I forget if Rockshox does 2 years on their forks as well.

    I ride daily. I used to use it for more "huck" and DH oriented riding. More recently, it's seen more dirtjump and urban action. Given that I am a lighter rider, and not the "best or greatest" out there, I do like to ride, I ride pretty often, and I'm usually not easy on parts. I do take very good care of my stuff though.
    I usually maintain my stuff pretty well as well. I just want to buy it new so I can be the owner of the warranty, not second hand.

  45. #45
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    1. A Pike can be easily obtained for 300
    2. That's real mature - trying to insult me by inferring that I'm a lady. Well I bet that any of the chicks in the DH forum can kick your ass (mine too) on a DH run.
    3. You over-exaggerate.
    4. Nobody said you're a horrible person, just misinformed at times.
    5. BikeSATORI is real funny (and knows his sh!t).
    well then get me a 454 for 300 bucks then. I paid 275 for my revelation.
    2. you want to talk about maturity ? dont make me call you on that
    3.nope
    4. Bike Satori said he thought I might be
    5. Bike satory is almost as funny as your "suicide no hander 180's over dirt jumps"
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

  46. #46
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,446
    Well, sorry for a second thread hijack, but I think I'm going with the argyle, simply because the Pike 426 this year doesn't come in black, plus it about 100CDN less brand new, and it's supposed to be stronger. I love motion control damping, so why not?

  47. #47
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    I usually maintain my stuff pretty well as well. I just want to buy it new so I can be the owner of the warranty, not second hand.
    You can still buy new o6 forks, and once in a while you may find a new o5 fork. SRAM really isn't picky about warranties. The only thing is that you do have to go through a shop. They do not deal directly with the consumer.

    As mentioned, my fork was brand new.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NoneSoVile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    58
    Would a Manitou Stance be good? Or better then a dirt jumper III?
    The Stance has 120-150mm travel.

  49. #49
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by NoneSoVile
    Would a Manitou Stance be good? Or better then a dirt jumper III?
    The Stance has 120-150mm travel.
    That's much too tall for an urban fork. I would say that the quality is similar to the DJ3. Perhaps the dampening may be a little bit smoother.

  50. #50
    Portland, OR
    Reputation: todd_freeride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,112
    Quote Originally Posted by NoneSoVile
    Would a Manitou Stance be good? Or better then a dirt jumper III?
    The Stance has 120-150mm travel.
    I've ridden a stance (custom static) harder than most the people I know. mine is a little bit of a different fork though. lacks most features like air assist, rebound and the 20mm t/a. BUT. I absolutly love it. most reliable and strong fork I've had in a while. its going onto 1.5 seasons of abuse. great little fork. but I would just get the stance static. its much like the gold label and sherman jumper. just costs a lot less. I just purchased a 80mm version for $175.00 cant wait for it to get here.

    compared to the DJ III the stance is by far way better of a fork. Zocchi are very tall and usually pretty heavy. I think my old DJ III was raked my bike out more than a sherman flick and it was only 120mm of travel. the DJ had bad dampening and weighed like 7 pounds.

    get a static or a gold label. they wont let you down.
    Ibex bikes

    2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •