Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Urban fork

mtbr member

Urban fork

Which forks are best for urban riding?? I currently have a 2004 Marzocchi Dirt Jumper III but I plan on buying something ment more for urban riding in the next 5-6 months. I want a fork with a decent amount of travel (not too too much travel because I don't wanna bob everytime I pedal), **lighweight** and most of all durable .
    Like I said, i'm not in a huge rush to purchase a new fork, I just want to start looking around. By the way, my bike is a Haro Werks.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Pike 454
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Several used Shermans or Gold Labels to be had on Ride Monkey classifieds in the $200 neighborhood...

JMH

Portland, OR
    Sherman Jumper, Stance static, Gold label, Argyle ...thats about it. I perfer the Sherman Jumper. totally a sick fork.
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

resident dumbass
    a slammed marzocchi by nemesis if you wanna spend that kind of money . . .

Go with a new gold label. You can get 'em on pricepoint for no more than $350, black OR white!
    I'm out of things to say . . .

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    a slammed marzocchi by nemesis if you wanna spend that kind of money . . .
    What makes a slammed Marzocchi "the best" for urban?

Personally I would prefer a Pike due to the versatility and compression adjustment. Their floodgate system is pretty sweet, nice stiff compression for popping off the lip but you can adjust the blowoff threshold so it activates under hard hits.

Only thing I do not like about the Pike is the maxle, would prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle without extra stuff sticking out waiting to get bashed.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_

Personally I would prefer a Pike due to the versatility and compression adjustment. Their floodgate system is pretty sweet, nice stiff compression for popping off the lip but you can adjust the blowoff threshold so it activates under hard hits.

Only thing I do not like about the Pike is the maxle, would prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle without extra stuff sticking out waiting to get bashed.
    yea, would a pike actually work ? I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    yea, would a pike actually work ? I was going to suggest one, but like ... I thought it would just be a little more a trail fork. I mean 500 bucks for a fork, when a 200 dollar gold label would work just as fine if not better ?
    You and DirtyHarry are talking out of your respective asses again.

The Pike is probably the best fork out of all the ones mentioned. The Argyle is roughly the same. It uses steel stanchions instead of aluminum ones. The Maxle is really not all that vulnerable to damage.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikilledkenny2
    Pike 454
    If you are getting the pike, get the 426, same adjustements, but it is stronger since it has a steel steer tube and a full crown vs. a hollow crown and alloy steer tube.

A Manitou gold label jump series 2 or rock shox argyle are also great urban fork choices.

resident dumbass
    Oh, best! Sorry 'bout that . . .

By a "slammed Marzocchi" I mean one of those heavily modded ones bought directly from nemesis. Not a slam kit bought from nemesis.

A pike would work fine if you didn't huck yourself off of a roof. Probably not the best though. I've only had about five minutes with one, so I don't know enough to give you a good answer.

I like my Marzocchi. I'll leave it at that.

Will, WHAT FRICKIN' MARZOCCHI's DID YOU BREAK? You've never said . . .
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Just Ride
    argyle is way ahead of everyother fork right now in my oppion. as far as dirt jupming and urban is concerned. i've been riding mine for nearly a month now and done alot of jumping as well as alot of street and still havent bottomed it. its air also so you can adjust it to any rider weight or perfered stiffness with little issue. i had a pike before my argyle and it was almost as nice, only complaint is the fact that even with extra firm springs it bottomed all the time. the argyle actually weighs less then a pike 426 and it has steel stanchions. and the 426 weighs less then all of those other forks mentioned if i'm not mistaken.

and whoever that was that commented on the maxle being an issue has obviously never ridden one and expereience its true beauty. i dont even have a single scuff from something even rubbing agasint my lever much less something openning it up and un winding it five or so revolutions. its simply a non issue. it does work amazingly well though. infnitely faster then any quick release (that the drop outs have been filed down on) and its a 20mm. maxle is the perfect wheel enclosure system in my oppion, fast, secure, simple.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Rigid, rigid, rigid.

BMXers do just fine with em.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr remember

I think it's mostly drool factor surrounding the slammed NemPro zokes.... but, that said, it is something that is not really offered on the market with anything else- a super short A2C length with super short travel minimal suspension, and stiff and stout on top of that as well. Fairly light, and we'll see what Brad has up his sleeve with this new lowered Zoke 4X he has with completely custom air cartridges in it to improve damping and even further lower weight. I have an 06" DJ2 and I have been completely satisfied with it. Have thought of lowering it, but don't need to at the moment as my geometry is spot on with the current frame I have. maybe on the next build did I just say that? damn, not yet...

and "versatility" isn't a word that is often used in a genre so specialized as the street/dj/park area. But, yeah, the Pike is no doubt just that, versatile... (I might put one on a cheap AM bike I'm building over winter, but we'll see how the funding goes.)
    Schralp it Heavy.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You and DirtyHarry are talking out of your respective asses again.

The Pike is probably the best fork out of all the ones mentioned. The Argyle is roughly the same. It uses steel stanchions instead of aluminum ones. The Maxle is really not all that vulnerable to damage.
    dude, all you do is talk out of your ass. its not that freaking hard to understand dude. 200 dollar fork will do the same job as the 500 dollar pike. sure the pike is great, but then he'll just have another pike. a pike is nothing special anymore. Everyone has one. so lets see here, you could probably save like 300 bucks by useing something other than a pike...then you could spend other cash on something else, maybe a set of outlaws or something.

as for me, will. I wasnt "talking out my ass" I was just asking does this guy really need to spend the extra 300 bucks for a fork that he's probably just going to set at 100mm and forget about it anyway ?

WiLL if anyone here talks out your ass, its you. just leave everyone alone and stop flaming people. you only make people hate you more.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

I post too much.
    I'm torn between 3 forks on my NemPro, Pike(it is ahead as of now) argyle, and gold label(would rather not, I don't like manitou, every fork I have tried felt like crap and all my friends that have them have completely killed them in a month)

Just Ride
    Rigid, rigid, rigid.

BMXers do just fine with em.
    they aslo do better with little 20"wheels why dont you put those on your bike too?

I'm torn between 3 forks on my NemPro, Pike(it is ahead as of now) argyle, and gold label(would rather not, I don't like manitou, every fork I have tried felt like crap and all my friends that have them have completely killed them in a month)
    buy the argyle its much nicer then the pike. not to mention its designed for the application. the pike is not designed to be jumped and what not so technically jupming it and dropping it and hucking it voids your warrenty. i had to send my pike back after a few months of riding. i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.
    I am guessing you haven't owned many Rock Shox products before.

Just kidding. The new RS is different than the old RS, but... whatever. They deserve some heckling for what they have and have not done over the years.

Honestly though, every brand of fork has problems. What went wrong with your Pike?

AW_
    locked - time out
    and whoever that was that commented on the maxle being an issue has obviously never ridden one and expereience its true beauty.
    That was me. I have one. Yeah, it is great system, but I'd still prefer to have a bolt on 20mm axle instead. Not a deal breaker by any means! I have no reason to remove my front wheel other than the occasional flat or swapping tires. The cam on the maxle does look a little on the weak side to me though but I have not had any problems with it, so I shouldn't talk trash about it. It does stick out a bit too. I'm a nit picker what can I say.

Compared to an old school (road bike) QR axle... or the stupid little Marz QR20 flaps... the Maxle blows it out of the water, no question.

Meh.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    dude, all you do is talk out of your ass. its not that freaking hard to understand dude. 200 dollar fork will do the same job as the 500 dollar pike. sure the pike is great, but then he'll just have another pike. a pike is nothing special anymore. Everyone has one. so lets see here, you could probably save like 300 bucks by useing something other than a pike...then you could spend other cash on something else, maybe a set of outlaws or something.

as for me, will. I wasnt "talking out my ass" I was just asking does this guy really need to spend the extra 300 bucks for a fork that he's probably just going to set at 100mm and forget about it anyway ?

WiLL if anyone here talks out your ass, its you. just leave everyone alone and stop flaming people. you only make people hate you more.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Right. Quality of dampening, quality of construction, quality of CS. That's why people WILL and ARE paying for the Totem and Lyrik. Why won't a more inexpensive 66 do the same thing? Why are people willing to shell out over a grand for a Totem when they can buy two Travis forks? Figure it out. Besides, Pikes can be had for under 300, even new. Who cares if it's nothing special? People run the fork because it WORKS. The Argyle is also a pretty sweet fork, it's very similar to the Pike, which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

DH, you've likely never ridden a Nemesis Zocchi, you just rave about it because people on here rave about it. Not slamming Nemsis (they're a great company), and not neccesarily slamming Marzocchi (meh), but you don't really have a place to speak when you've never had one or ridden one for more than just a couple loops around the parking lot.

As for the Marzocchi forks I've broken? DJ2 cracked drops, z150 failed ETA and creaky, Drop-Off Comp, top cap exploded and rocketed the air valve off of the cap. And just this summer, I had a z1 with an incredibly irritating creak and clunk. Marzocchi CS lacks, even for shop issues. According to him, Todd has broken a number of Marzocchi forks as well.

And for what it's worth. I provide plenty of constructive input, and I've helped plenty of people on this forum. You tend to start the flaming well enough on your own, Todd. So what if some grunt or shop b!tch such as yourself hates me?

Meh.
    they aslo do better with little 20"wheels why dont you put those on your bike too?

buy the argyle its much nicer then the pike. not to mention its designed for the application. the pike is not designed to be jumped and what not so technically jupming it and dropping it and hucking it voids your warrenty. i had to send my pike back after a few months of riding. i dont see any possible way i'll have to do that with my argyle.
    Creak, right? Atleast it stopped at the creak and didn't turn into a seperation. I believe it was more than a few months... but hey, what do I know? I've had my Pike since December, and it's been great.

HB knows what he's talking about.

BTW dirtyharry, I've mentioned NUMEROUS times the forks I've broken. They're not just limited to Marzocchi forks, they just happen to have the worst CS I've dealt with.

Just Ride
    I am guessing you haven't owned many Rock Shox products before.

Just kidding. The new RS is different than the old RS, but... whatever. They deserve some heckling for what they have and have not done over the years.

Honestly though, every brand of fork has problems. What went wrong with your Pike?

it was creeking remember, i told you bout it. they warrentied it wiht out any issues. new bushings, uppers, seals, overhaul, the works. they definitely hooked me up with it and i definitely still love the fork. its jsut not really designed for what it was getting. goes back to the ibis thread, right tool for the job, you cant expect a fork designed for trail use to hold up to nasty urban abuse. it did its job, and did it pretty damn well. the argyle just does it better.

manitou still deserves alot more heckling

AW_
    locked - time out
    it was creeking remember, i told you bout it. they warrentied it wiht out any issues. new bushings, uppers, seals, overhaul, the works. they definitely hooked me up with it and i definitely still love the fork. its jsut not really designed for what it was getting. goes back to the ibis thread, right tool for the job, you cant expect a fork designed for trail use to hold up to nasty urban abuse. it did its job, and did it pretty damn well. the argyle just does it better.

manitou still deserves alot more heckling
    I thought "urban biking" meant riding down to the coffee shop or perhaps a ride along the waterfront on a sunday afternoon. Wouldn't a Pike work well for that?

Just Ride
    I thought "urban biking" meant riding down to the coffee shop or perhaps a ride along the waterfront on a sunday afternoon. Wouldn't a Pike work well for that?
    are you joking?!?! man you must be an idiot theres no way a pike has enough travel or proper damping for that! you need atleast 150mm of travel for rides to the coffee shop and no less then 170mm for waterfront rides. jeeze you kids tehse days.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Right. Quality of dampening, quality of construction, quality of CS. That's why people WILL and ARE paying for the Totem and Lyrik. Why won't a more inexpensive 66 do the same thing? Why are people willing to shell out over a grand for a Totem when they can buy two Travis forks? Figure it out. Besides, Pikes can be had for under 300, even new. Who cares if it's nothing special? People run the fork because it WORKS. The Argyle is also a pretty sweet fork, it's very similar to the Pike, which is the point I was trying to make earlier.

DH, you've likely never ridden a Nemesis Zocchi, you just rave about it because people on here rave about it. Not slamming Nemsis (they're a great company), and not neccesarily slamming Marzocchi (meh), but you don't really have a place to speak when you've never had one or ridden one for more than just a couple loops around the parking lot.

As for the Marzocchi forks I've broken? DJ2 cracked drops, z150 failed ETA and creaky, Drop-Off Comp, top cap exploded and rocketed the air valve off of the cap. And just this summer, I had a z1 with an incredibly irritating creak and clunk. Marzocchi CS lacks, even for shop issues. According to him, Todd has broken a number of Marzocchi forks as well.

And for what it's worth. I provide plenty of constructive input, and I've helped plenty of people on this forum. You tend to start the flaming well enough on your own, Todd. So what if some grunt or shop b!tch such as yourself hates me?
    DH is much more complex than DH ...lets try compairing DJ street forks, okay ? a street fork just requires simple as sh!t dampening and doesnt need much of anything. the pike is just overkill, a street fork doesnt go near the abuse a DH fork would, why dish out extra cash just to have something that everyone else has, sure it works, but so does the gold label. in this case the gold label might be a way better choice.

as for the Marzocchi Forks I've broken so far; Marzocchi, 04 EXR comp, 07 Z.1 Sport, 05 MX comp, 05 Dirt Jam Pro, 04 DJ III, 06 Dirt jam comp, 05 66VF, 05 888RC 2005 Dropoff Comp, 04 JrT (actually did last a while though...by a while I mean 4 months)
    Zocchi gave me a replacement 888RC2X for my broken 888RC ..we'll see how it works, heading down to post before it gets too nasty.

as for the rants. I posted first..just stated that MAYBE the pike might be a little too much, then YOU come on here and flame me ...so who started it now ? doesnt even matter. because like...if my advise was always BS then everyone would call me on it ...not one pathetic person who thinks he knows all.

dont care if you know exactly how to put together a fork or all the valving systems. I still ride a lot harder than you and go a lot bigger (probably a tiny bit more sketchy though) than you. so I DO know what brakes and I DO know what works for me. dont get all pissed off just because my Stance is a better park/street fork for me than my revelation.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

mtbr member
    all i can say is i would recommend a pike...like i have done many other times. i have ran mine strictly for DJ/4X/DS and some urban since last winter and have loved it. no problems yet...and its awesome. i love the dampening and adjustability....IMO perfect for this type of riding. i guess it techniquely isn't made for it but you will see so many people riding them because they just get the job done well. i have the sl model which is like the 426 now i believe? the argyle seems like a good choice too....but i have no ride time on one. i love RS, they really have pulled it together since SRAM came along...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast