Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

turning my trek7000 mtb into an urban spec bike

so..what all should i look for/change on my bike to make it an urban capable bike? currently it's just a stock 00 7000....

i'm thinking about starting by getting rid of hte 3 speed in favor of a 2 speed and bash guard...whats a good way to go with this?

and what kind of fork/tires should i be looking for?

I post too much.
    Start off with a better frame, the trek frame won't hold up too long to urban abuse. And it doesn't have the greatest urban and dirt jumping geometry. It probably has little to no standover height? (you must have a bigger frame, say a 17'' or maybe even a 19,5''.)
    Last edited by snaky69; 10-06-2006 at 03:46 AM.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    well...i'm probably goign to be buying a kona stinky here soon for any of my off road riding...and i've got this thing around, and just want to do SOMETHING with it....and i do a lot of around town riding/jumping/drops....and just wanted to beef it up some. i just bought the bike for $125..so even if i trashed it, i'd not be hurting too bad

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Make a SS out of it.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ss???

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    Ss???
    Single Speed.

#1 Ho
    Ss???
    They want you to enrole in the Hitler Youth Program
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

Meh.
    well...i'm probably goign to be buying a kona stinky here soon for any of my off road riding...and i've got this thing around, and just want to do SOMETHING with it....and i do a lot of around town riding/jumping/drops....and just wanted to beef it up some. i just bought the bike for $125..so even if i trashed it, i'd not be hurting too bad
    You might not care if the bike gets trashed, but I'm sure that you'll care when your face meets the ground unexpectedly.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You might not care if the bike gets trashed, but I'm sure that you'll care when your face meets the ground unexpectedly.

haha...isn't that half the fun in it??

and...for a single speed...where's a decent/cheap conversion kit i can buy?

rock hard or hardrock
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...rsion+Kit.aspx

that is if you have a 8/9 speed cassette hub
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    alright...so that's the rear
    what about the front?

<---n00b

I post too much.
    I just hope the frame won't snap on something big. As far as the front goes, a gold label or rock shox argyle would probably your best bet. Don't cut the steerer, that way you'll be sure to be able to switch it frames or even sell it when the trek snaps in half.
    Last edited by snaky69; 10-07-2006 at 12:37 PM.

rock hard or hardrock
    has talking about gears in the front.......unbolt the crank,unbolt the cahinwheel,slide it off,put the crank back on......if you dont understand take it to your LBS, they can do it
    www.transitionbikes.com

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i don't have a crank remover, square drive crap

and which ring do you keep?

Air Junkie
    i don't have a crank remover?
    They look like this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: bmp 3.bmp (78.6 KB, 254 views)

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    They look like this

haha....if it'd work...i'd do it...serioulsy.

btw...where the HELL is the faq for the SS forum...link?

resident dumbass
    Buy a used 03 Marzocchi Z1 or DJ. No one who has one seems to want them anymore, and you can pick it up for about 170ish and beef up your front end to the max (without going 150 mm or triple crown). Argyles and Gold Labels are nice and everything, but save your money until you have a frame worthy of a kickass fork. Sell the Marzocchi when you want a new fork.

They're rather long (03 Marzocchis), but since this frame is gonna snap, you probably won't have the bike around long enough to care about fork length.

XSL_WiLL is gonna say that Marzocchis suck and I don't know what I'm talking about, but I actually HAVE an 03 DJ2, which is long, very strong, and purchased used as well. It's actually not as heavy a fork as it may look (but still a bit on the heavy side). The 2003 Z1 looks the same, but I believe has different internals.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Meh.
    Yeah. Long sucks. Why would you want to rake out the front end of an urban bike and make it handle like a pig? Why would you want to stress a frame even more? Are you asking to take a nice big bite of concrete?

Marzocchi blows. Horrible CS. HSCV was mediocre at best. The o3s were "light." The o4 and o5 forks were unacceptably heavy.

So in essence, yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Save your money, buy a better frame, don't get hurt.

Using a hammer for a crank extractor will distort the interface between the crank and the bb.

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    They look like this
    wait so to remove the crankset you dont need a special crank pullet/tool (whatever it is called)?

You just need a hammer?

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    i MIGHT get another frame sometime...if i end up enjoying jumping around town....but, i think you ppl might be giving me a little more credit than i'm due as to saying the frame is gonna crack so easily. i don't ride THAT hard...yet. but, when i do..i will get a new frame. for now, i just want an enjoyable bike to bounce around town on...doing little drops (no more than 4-5') and stuff like that.

Meh.
    i MIGHT get another frame sometime...if i end up enjoying jumping around town....but, i think you ppl might be giving me a little more credit than i'm due as to saying the frame is gonna crack so easily. i don't ride THAT hard...yet. but, when i do..i will get a new frame. for now, i just want an enjoyable bike to bounce around town on...doing little drops (no more than 4-5') and stuff like that.
    Four to five feet are pretty decent sized, that's not something that your Trek was designed for (at all). If you're a hack, or land to flat a lot, that's disaster for just about any aluminum frame.

You need a crank extractor.

resident dumbass
    sorry, I was basing the thing I said about DJ2s on a different looking trek7000, one that looks more like my cousin's, a more mountainy one. Your bike is practically a hybrid! DO NOT TAKE IT OFF OF DROPS! You won't make it home riding your bike.

My Marzocchi does not suck, Will. I don't know where you get your thing about Marzocchis from. Yes, they were very heavy in 04/05, yes they don't have the gentlest rebound ever (still never topped out my fork) but if you buy a good one, they do what they're supposed to. Also, before you start calling Marzocchis overpriced, take a look at Foxes.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    LOL I wouldn't take your bike off anything higher than a curb.
    And i'd only do 4' drops on a steel hardtail.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Yeah. Long sucks. Why would you want to rake out the front end of an urban bike and make it handle like a pig? Why would you want to stress a frame even more? Are you asking to take a nice big bite of concrete?

Marzocchi blows. Horrible CS. HSCV was mediocre at best. The o3s were "light." The o4 and o5 forks were unacceptably heavy.

So in essence, yeah, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Save your money, buy a better frame, don't get hurt.

Using a hammer for a crank extractor will distort the interface between the crank and the bb.
    XSL, you realize that your bias agaisnt marz in this thread won't change anything, he could be riding manitou, rock shox, fox, white bros or anything of the sorts, but as soon as he starts doing drops, his bike will eventually(and quite fast) snap at the head tube, whatever he does ride. Dirt jumpers for that year have the advantage of looking cool and being cheap, why not crash in style?

rock hard or hardrock
    i don't have a crank remover, square drive crap

and which ring do you keep?
    have your LBS do it

keep the one you want to keep
    www.transitionbikes.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast