mtbr member
    Jun 2008

trying to get into uf/dj riding

hi, I have been riding bmx for a lone time and last year i wanted to get into mountain biking. i started riding some XC and loved it but now im looking for somthing with a bit more of an adrenaline rush. I dont exactly want to get a downhill freeride rig beacuse im not able to get out to places to ride downhill to often. so i was looking into the urban freeride scene. it seemed to fit since i love riding bmx street.

(sorry for the noob questions, i did alot of searches and reading before posting so try not to flame me for my noob status)

all i really know is im pritty definate on wanting it to be a single speed and a 26. from all the reading ive been doing it seems that the specalized P series bikes are populer and i was thinking about goin that route. i also hapened to stumble across the GT ruckus UF. but in the bmx community GT doesnt exactly get the best rep for reliability. is same with the mountain biking scene here? according to a few here the forks it comes with arent to good. also what would be more reccomended 24 or a 26?

alot of people say its better to build up your own, but with my limited knowledge of parts and experiance riding uf/dj i wouldnt know what parts to peace together. so a complete would probably be the best route for me. i can beat on it and change parts while i (try to) progress.

thanxs for the help evryone. this forum already seems alot more welcoming than my bmx forum

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Hey dude congrats on getting into the scene.

What I did was run through the "post your dj's" thread and look what everyone else is riding, just to get a feel of the parts that are floating around and popular.

If you're into buying used, Pinkbike.com has a good for sale section, as does this site.

Ebay is useful for parts only, imo, not so much for completes.

Also check through the reviews section, as it has soooo much feedback from actual riders.

If you're only running street, I'd recommend running 24's, but of course this is a black subject with millions of opinionated riders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    good call on the 24 vs 26 issue, i guess im just gonn ahave to try both. like you said im also betting 24 is better for street. but i guess any bike setup could technacly be used for anytype of riding it all depends on the rider.

i was checking out the "post your dj" section earlier today but i only got up to page 2 then after than any other further pages dont seem to load up. is the forum having some issues with that page. evrything elses is working for me besides that thread...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There are a lot of frames that support 24 and 26 inch tires. black market makes some killer frames, cromo and feel like a bmx but bigger. i currently have an giant stp ss. it is a few years old and dig the hell out of riding it. great frame to start with, and if you want you can gear it up which can be nice. the newer ones seem to be built a bit better with components and well worth the price. dmr is another great company, although don' t know if you can get built bikes from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well your pretty much in the same status as me. I want to dive deeper into the UF / DJ scene. I traded my trials bike for a Giant STP 26' and have been building some dirt jumps and jumping it. But I feel I can't throw it around like I want to. I am considering going to a 24' but im going to give my stp a few more rides first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    i believe that you can put 24s on them. actually since they are disk only you can. i know some people who have done it, and was going to before i decided to move to texas, then to nebraska although i kinda wish i had 24s here in omaha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the suggestions, i think im pritty set on a 26. just need to find the right brand to go with with a good combo of frame geo and parts. and see if i can find a lbs that carries them so i cna sit my ass on one and feel'er out

Allday Haro
    haro steel reserve 1

or umm eastern nighttrain.. something like that.

those bikes both come with pretty ok components.

mtbr member
    if you want to look further into the threads at the top in the blue box it says display modes. change it to linear. its also at the bottom of the thread under the quick reply box.

if you are riding strictly street i would not get the p bike. something like the night train, ns capital (which is a 24 BMX) ns suburban or similar would be better suited. This is of course assuming your are going to be doing BMX type riding on the streets like manuals, bunnyhops and spins and not just dropping down stairs and walls
    i ride my bi*ch hard