Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Trying 24s?

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575

    Trying 24s?

    yup another trying 24's thread. i have had the idea for a little while now, about trying to pick up a set of 24's to use for the local riding around town during the week, so that i don't thrash my 26's. unless you want to pay a lot for a wheelset, it is very difficult to build up a pair or Strong yet light 26's. also, 26's feel awesome for DJ/4X but a little on the big side for all the local riding around town.

    so...i think im going to pick up a pair of 24 Halo SAS's just to give it a whirl. i was planning on buying them from www.unrealcycles.com but if anyone else knows where i could get a good deal please let me know. opinions welcome by the way, i just felt like saying something about it. who knows...i mite like them more then 26s

    EDIT: actually will probably get the tornados....heard that the SAS's are excessively heavy.
    Last edited by ebfreerider510; 11-02-2006 at 09:30 AM.

  2. #2
    Air Junkie
    Reputation: Sudden_Judgement's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    206
    I just bought the Tornado 24" wheelset myself, I was a little afraid of the SAS weight, so I opted for the Tornado's. They should come in anyday now, I'll give you a review once I take them for a spin. My other bike has the Halo Cobat wheelset and I have had absolutely NO problem with them yet, Had them for about a year! I'd take a look at those too, They are just like the SAS without the monster nipple housings, and a bit lighter.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    well im running 24s on my bike right now. things i noticed after i put some 26's on it today.
    1. Much more nimble on 24's the bike rails turns. with the 26s the bike had a sorta sketchy feel to it
    2. little less weight.
    3.lower center of gravity so i feel more connected with the ground
    4. if you have somewhat long cranks(i have 180s) they can sometimes hit ground if your pedaling out sequence with what your doing.


    over all i love having the 24s on my bike it makes it a much more lively ride. not to mention there burly as hell

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    well im running 24s on my bike right now. things i noticed after i put some 26's on it today.
    1. Much more nimble on 24's the bike rails turns. with the 26s the bike had a sorta sketchy feel to it
    2. little less weight.
    3.lower center of gravity so i feel more connected with the ground
    4. if you have somewhat long cranks(i have 180s) they can sometimes hit ground if your pedaling out sequence with what your doing.


    over all i love having the 24s on my bike it makes it a much more lively ride. not to mention there burly as hell

    thanks bro! thats very good info to have. im just stoked with the idea....and i figure if i like them the 26's mite never go back on. who knows...but ya i run 175mm cranks so it shouldn't be an issue. mite be getting 170s in the future too. what 24s are you riding? how do you like them?

  5. #5
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    I'd mostly agree with boyfromthelak...
    But! it all depends on your frame. There are several frames out there that I just plain would never put duecequads on.
    that said, I run Atomlab GI dirts in 24, but I use a rear Eastern26 SS hub, so I can't comment on the atomlab GI rear hub. I would never get a screw on freewheel hub though.
    I've also looked at the Halo Tornados, they look just about right for me.
    Schralp it Heavy.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I'd mostly agree with boyfromthelak...
    But! it all depends on your frame. There are several frames out there that I just plain would never put duecequads on.
    that said, I run Atomlab GI dirts in 24, but I use a rear Eastern26 SS hub, so I can't comment on the atomlab GI rear hub. I would never get a screw on freewheel hub though.
    I've also looked at the Halo Tornados, they look just about right for me.

    good point, i have an identiti Dr. Jekyll which is made for both 26's or 24's. you actually see them with 24's if you see them at all...usually. so it should be ok. it has sliding dropouts so that will help too. how do you like the GI's? i heard you used to have the Halo SAS?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    well i m running some gt rims i ran on my cruiser. they are only single wall and strong as hell. My frame is in no way made for 24s its a 2001 specialized enduro hardtail(basically a older p frame with vert dropouts with a little bit more of a trail xc geo ) and i still love it. i plan on getting them laced to some disc hubs soon just don't have the time or money. Im super excited to put them on my sould cycles loki when it gets here. Also tire choice is somewhat small but its getting a lot bigger plus on jensonusa there is hella 24x2.5s on sale so its pretty cool. If you have any ?s just post up im willing to explain anything ya need me to

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    eb freerider i just noticed you said your from the east bay in your sig. where at im from livermore?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    eb freerider i just noticed you said your from the east bay in your sig. where at im from livermore?
    awesome, im from the oakland area. where do you ride?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    well as of right now just some street around the neighborhood and the local bmx track until i get my wheels rebuilt so i can run a brake. but then i'll probally ride almost any good singletrack and etc i can find around the area. where do you ride mainly? also for a sweet 24 in tire i recommend the irc kujo dh i have run the tire for about a year and it is just know getting bald.
    Last edited by boyfromthelak; 11-02-2006 at 10:08 PM.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by boyfromthelak
    well as of right now just some street around the neighborhood and the local bmx track until i get my wheels rebuilt so i can run a brake. but then i'll probally ride almost any good singletrack and etc i can find around the area. where do you ride mainly? also for a sweet 24 in tire i recommend the irc kujo dh i have run the tire for about a year and it is just know getting bald.

    ohh alright, awesome. we should definitely ride sometime. i have never been to the BMX track in Livermore, but i ride a ton out at Pleasanton bike park, very close to Livermore actually. its on stanley BLVD if that rings a bell. its a sick DJ spot, definitely worth the drive even if you are coming from my area. here's a pic my friend got of me at pleasanton..you should get out there sometime.


  12. #12
    mtbr remember
    Reputation: BikeSATORI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,256
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    good point, i have an identiti Dr. Jekyll which is made for both 26's or 24's. you actually see them with 24's if you see them at all...usually. so it should be ok. it has sliding dropouts so that will help too. how do you like the GI's? i heard you used to have the Halo SAS?
    I am digging the GI Dirts... actually same profile as the old proven midsize Aircorp rim. I believe the rim itself in 24" is something around 650g - MTX is around 600g just for comparison. The GI Streets on the other hand, are something ridonkulous like 850g or more each (I'm probably way off, but remember they were up there- overkill in my case). GI Dirts/Aircorps have an excellent profile in my opinion, not too wide, pretty boxy.... But that said, I do have two dents in the rear rim already, very minor and from a stupid case trying to hop to manual a little planter thing... won't happen again if I can help it.
    well, I had the rear built up with DT 14/15g spokes and brass nips and I cannot flex the wheel one bit! The front is stout as well, with it's straight guagers, haven't had to touch it yet after a little tensioning out of the box, but I'm never hard on front tires as much as rear.
    SAS is too wide for my street likes, and yeah, I had black 26" SAS's with the old Diatech hubs, 36h. But only ran them specifically on my FR bike with 2.5 DH tires.
    If you can get the 24" Tornado's with the Halo DJD SS cassette hub, I would go that route for sure! sick bolt-on cassette hub with a 1-pc driver, nice rims and width, and nice price too. I think ride-thisdot com has them. they come in gold too, if you're into that, although not my taste (I think it's more of a euro thing kind of...)
    Schralp it Heavy.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    646
    nice. Yeah pleasanton bmx park is a definite dirt jump site. There excuse for a bmx track as no flow at all. livermore is pretty nice has some fairly large jumps just have to be there like the hr or 2 before dark but its fun and good practice for keeping rythme. I added you to my friends on here so we should for sure hit up pleasanton sometime pm me when you come out. im just getting used to jumping a MTB as i came from bmx but once i get my new frame i should be more comfortable

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ebfreerider510's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,575
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I am digging the GI Dirts... actually same profile as the old proven midsize Aircorp rim. I believe the rim itself in 24" is something around 650g - MTX is around 600g just for comparison. The GI Streets on the other hand, are something ridonkulous like 850g or more each (I'm probably way off, but remember they were up there- overkill in my case). GI Dirts/Aircorps have an excellent profile in my opinion, not too wide, pretty boxy.... But that said, I do have two dents in the rear rim already, very minor and from a stupid case trying to hop to manual a little planter thing... won't happen again if I can help it.
    well, I had the rear built up with DT 14/15g spokes and brass nips and I cannot flex the wheel one bit! The front is stout as well, with it's straight guagers, haven't had to touch it yet after a little tensioning out of the box, but I'm never hard on front tires as much as rear.
    SAS is too wide for my street likes, and yeah, I had black 26" SAS's with the old Diatech hubs, 36h. But only ran them specifically on my FR bike with 2.5 DH tires.
    If you can get the 24" Tornado's with the Halo DJD SS cassette hub, I would go that route for sure! sick bolt-on cassette hub with a 1-pc driver, nice rims and width, and nice price too. I think ride-thisdot com has them. they come in gold too, if you're into that, although not my taste (I think it's more of a euro thing kind of...)

    thanks for all the info. i think im going to try the 24 SAS's. i talked to Victor from Ride-This about the Tornados and he said that he could only get them in black and that they wouldn't be in for a few weeks..so we will see how it plays out. if i end up waiting to get the tornados or if i just grab some SAS's. i'd rather have the tornados...because they are made more for what im into...but i think i'd be ok with the SAS's.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •