mtbr member

trouble with spine

anyway im kinda new to dj/park and i have a question about airing spines, i can air out of a quarter pipe a few feet no problem the thing is that im worried about is the top of the spine between the qps is a foot and a half roughly, and i dont want to air everything and land in the flats (of a 4 foot ramp) and i dont want to catch my back tire and case, and most likey die that way too

do you guys have any tips for airing over a spine? do i just go in straight or more angle is better? i saw a video and it said to kinda stop on the top of the spine (to get used to the motion) but i dont know about that i would rather just try it, and i know most of it is comitting all the way but i would just like to know if you guys had any advice

thanks so much in advance

I post too much.
    I go for height and kinda whip it out to let the rear clear.

mtbr member
    I'd do everything like you would in airing the quarter by pumping the tranny and pull almost straight up, then nose dive and aim towards the coping on the other side. Don't get heavy on the pedals as your diving back into the bowl cuz it'll drop your rear and you'll get hung up on the coping. Even if you get hung up make sure you're holding your bars strong and you shouldn't die.

Once you get comf with the spine then I'd try to whip a bit like Snaky said

mtbr member
    ok so kinda like i figured, air it out and then nosedive down

better to go in at a perfect 90 degree angle or easier with a little diagonal?

mtbr member
    I found it easier to go at it straight (90deg) till I got comf. Then I started shooting diag a bit off the coping to get the whip I wanted. I'm at a point where I wanna to a tooth bonk on the spine so I'm gonna exaggerate the diag more to get my front peg lined up.

mtbr member
    ok ill try going mainly straight in, thanks alot guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If the surface is not slippery, try to carve the frontside opposite to your spinning direction, look over your shoulder , lean over the coping and when you're above the backside straighten your bike a bit.

That way you don't have to nosedive so hard to avoid a major hangup......and it looks a lot better to when motowhipping it too.

mtbr member
    well i got out today but it was raining all morning and everything was wet so i just chilled and avoided the puddles, just dropped in and rode awhile and some air out of quarter pipes to manuals and stuff, ill try sometime soon when its dry so i can get the spine