Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Trials Only"

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. "Trials Only"

Fellow...

... Urban DJ Park users I hope we won't offend you by having a "Trials Only" thread in your forum as we have no where else to post and feel your audience is more suited to our presence!

Thanks...

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I'll start it off and hope others join us...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-monty-231-x-lite-josep-rivera-repllica-003.jpg  

mtbr member

Trials!!!

I'm on-board! let's start with the basics
    Balance: This is not a trials specific skill. All forms of cycling benefit from a mastery of balance.
    Start your life as a trials rider by standing perpendicular to a wall with either you front or rear tire butted against it (I recommend rear) level the pedals and hold the rear brake.Stand on the bike. The wall will "dampen" you movements giving you more time to react and familiarize yourself with body position etc. (You can use the front wheel but it makes you reliant on turning inputs instead of weight shifting, more on that later.) By butting the wall you tire act as a sort of side-to-side brake. You need to learn to distribute your weight equally on the pedals and not let your leading foot rest on the brake. The wall is the perfect training ground...They are pretty easy to come by, free to use, and most people have 4 minimum in their possession.

(Rodies practice on an incline. Any sloped suburban driveway will suffice. with the bike pointed uphill, with the wheel turned to the Left or Right, it is possible to control ones balance by pedaling forward or rolling back. THIS IS POOR PRACTICE FOR TRIALS!!!)
    You cannot use turning inputs to ride/balance on a plank, since you will ultimately end up on narrow surfaces it is best to avoid any practice inapplicable to them.

once you can balance against the wall you graduate to:
    -Just balancing, at first feel free to hop the front and rear around, But DO NOT bunny hop around!!!!!!!
    -If you get that down, No more hopping, None at all! Keep each tire in it's original contact patch
    -Then do it sitting in the seat ( i find this most challenging) you will likely never sit or squat this low but by moving your center of mass closer to the center of rotation you force yourself to learn finesse. if you master the low position then when you go back to standing it will seem like child's play.
    -Then do it (back in the standing position) on a length of 2x4.
    -Then elevate one end or the other of said 2x4 by 4-8" this changes the feel and now brake control is required.

Once your balancing with the rear of the 2x4 at max height, go find things outside to balance on. start short and wide and then graduate to short and narrow then tall and wide and so on. parking curbstones are perfect for beginners.

If you start off with an impeccable ability to control your bicycles side to side motions, all of the more advance moves and their respective techniques will be 60% easier to learn.
    this method takes longer to earn but in the end you'll leave the wheel turners and bunny-hoppers behind. They just cant hack it on the more advanced obstacles.

I was a wheel turner who got to advanced class and couldn't hack it, so I started hopping. That took me higher in the ranks but when I watched the Expert guys ride the sections they just RODE THE BIKE with NATURAL BALANCE.
    It took me almost year to forget old habits and re-learn how to ride.

watch the videos on this page for instruction in other areas
    Beginner Trials Videos - Observed Trials Bike Forum

P.S. Being able to balance makes you look like a BAMF (builds your core&abs) and makes you better at everything...well almost.
    Last edited by leshaghal; 11-29-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

AZ
    banned
    How about someone throw down some info about bikes and equipment for us Luddites? TIA.

P.S. pics usually make for a better thread and usually net more rep points.

mtbr member
    I love trials. Anyone who want to improve at any type of riding whether its DH,FR,AM or XC should ride trials for at least a year. I surprise the heck out of people when I start pedal kicking through a rock garden on my 29r. Heres a few of mine.

Inspired
    [IMG][/IMG]

Meta Mod
    [IMG][/IMG]

Beta Evo
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Now were roll'in...

... may I add we need to get trials more mainstream, most people think they can't ride trials, need a special bike or only see the pros doing their stuff! Don't get me wrong the pros are the ambassadors of our sport and the best form of advertising that we all love to view.

Learning simple trials skills make you a better rider even if only ride the road.

Great start!

I hope we can add more:

Instructional vids
    Trials bike manufacturers list
    Events list
    Bike trials links

I have included a pic, remember this guy?
    JJ Gregorowicz at Motorama a few years back, and a more recent pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-motorama-jj-moto99jj.jpg  

"Trials Only"-jj-i336678259_80226_5.jpg  

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 11-29-2011 at 05:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    I have included a pic, remember this guy?
    I dont recognize...maybe a better picture?

Edit:I know JJ...didnt recognize the pic.
    Last edited by Metalhack; 11-29-2011 at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Heres a few of my favorite vids....

Mastering the art of Trials

After School

This next one is my all time favorite. It doesnt have the big production or cool music a Danny Mac vid has but its amazing none the less.

Go Big or Go home

mtbr member
    last video is a bad link.

I'm not really big on 360&backflip crowd. I'd hate to see our sport end up like motocross racing...it used to be a circuit you raced on, now its a big air comp with auxiliary bumps. Trials is about mounting obstacles, not flipping and spinning or wallrides...that's what we have BMX for.

Equipment- you can ride trials on ANY bike! though most prefer purpose built trials frames or dirt jumpers.

Brakes most guys run Magura Hs33's on the rear and V or disk up front. Serious trials rides grind their wheels to rough up the sidewalls. (I'm yet to see anyone do it right, bunch or kids with angle grinders...) some even tar the rear rim to make it sticky (I find air filter "oil" from motorcycle shops works much better) basically to a trials rider the rear brake lever is an ON/OFF switch.

Seats are optional, I prefer a fender to keep me from snagging my rear in the wheel

Handle bars, Wide bars long stem, Low! trials guys ride bent over to center their weight. The position is optimized for pedal kicking/riding the rear wheel. Bars are heavy duty. wanna see someone cry? keep your eye on the guy with cheap bars!!!!

Forks again heavy duty little or no rake.

Pedals platform, Wellgo MG-1!!!!

Wheels are mostly Echos with the cutouts.

One thing to keep in mind; This is a comfortable sport. By that I mean confidence is bred through rider comfort, ergonomics and familiarity. a guy with the exact same build as me may prefer higher bars, longer cranks, a different gear ratio. On that same note There could be 2 pros of exactly the same build who, if forced to ride a foreign bike, couldn't remain competitive. Your bike is a very Very personal thing in trials.

( For those, if any, interested in full suspension trials...Our form of riding is so much more tame. It's less like a unicycle with handlebars and more like old moto-trials. We don't have guidelines or specific setups yet. Heck we're still trying to find what frame shape works best. there are however, some rough pointers. PM me and I'll be happy to help you out)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leshaghal View Post
    last video is a bad link.

I'm not really big on 360&backflip crowd. I'd hate to see our sport end up like motocross racing...it used to be a circuit you raced on, now its a big air comp with auxiliary bumps. Trials is about mounting obstacles, not flipping and spinning or wallrides...that's what we have BMX for.
    Oh man I cant believe that vid is gone. I just watched it. It was a huge double side hop up a rock wall by Keita. Totally crazy vid.

HERES a different one of Keita.

ANOTHER

There is still pure trials out there. The 360/backflip stuff your talking about is another game IMO. More about art,expression and flow. Its such a blast to put together a nice line and nail it. Awesome in its own right but not pure trials I agree.

mtbr member
    In the youtube video "ANOTHER" you see that natural balance I'm talking about.

at 0:56 he cocks the wheel and spins the bike, most mod riders would have hopped or laid the front down and walked it in Leach style (front then rear, over and over until lined up)
    Then a 2:29 he just hangs out while looking for a solid launch point.

This is the type of balance I'm talking about. once you're, for lack of a better term, Zen with the bike...the rest comes easy.

ultra member
    Here is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-p1060847_2.jpg  

Somersaults... that's how I roll.

mtbr member

You force my hand...

Ok kids, put your mods away and let the big kids play...

Took this picture the day I got it.
    I have a separate super short seat-post for trials. Wellgo Mg-1s. 850lb spring on a fox vanilla in the back (144mm of travel at the wheel) 45psi in each leg of the forks (120mm of travel) Koolstop pads in rear, 50lb Sachs "Power Disk" brake in front. IRC Mythos II front and rear respectively.
    She tips the scales at 34lbs + me = 256lbs being humped around...Welcome to the real world.

mtbr member
    Ok kids, put your mods away and let the big kids play...

Took this picture the day I got it.
    I have a separate super short seat-post for trials. Wellgo Mg-1s. 850lb spring on a fox vanilla in the back (144mm of travel at the wheel) 45psi in each leg of the forks (120mm of travel) Koolstop pads in rear, 50lb Sachs "Power Disk" brake in front. IRC Mythos II front and rear respectively.
    She tips the scales at 34lbs + me = 256lbs being humped around...Welcome to the real world.
    Respect!

Cannondale...ala Libor!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Subscribed!

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    Count me in

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    Here is mine.

That is one sick piece of work.

Kaishingo
    Had to go dig up pics of my old trials bike from 10 years ago:

Worst bike-sale choice I ever made
    kaishingoapparel.com
    Eco-Friendly Cycling Jerseys

mtbr member
    Nice!

AZ
    banned
    Bump, as this pertains to my interests.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm on-board! let's start with the basics
    Balance
    Hi leshaghal, I tried your method yesterday. Sad to say I fail miserably. Mind to advise on a more detailed note on this method? My main problem is on how to mount onto the bike? Where the pedals should be? Also would lesser air in the tires help in this case?

I'm practicing 'rolling track stand'. Easiest for me is when my lead foot (right) is lower than my trailing foot (left) with the handlebar tilted to the left.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    Hi leshaghal, I tried your method yesterday. Sad to say I fail miserably. Mind to advise on a more detailed note on this method? My main problem is on how to mount onto the bike? Where the pedals should be? Also would lesser air in the tires help in this case?

I'm practicing 'rolling track stand'. Easiest for me is when my lead foot (right) is lower than my trailing foot (left) with the handlebar tilted to the left.

Thanks in advance.
    Dont practice with less air in the tires. Practice with the same amount of air you would normally have. It may be a little harder but in the end it will make you a better rider.

Here just watch THIS video.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    Dont practice with less air in the tires. Practice with the same amount of air you would normally have. It may be a little harder but in the end it will make you a better rider.

Here just watch THIS video.
    I'm cross dominance. But why would eye dominance have a role in trackstanding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    I'm cross dominance. But why would eye dominance have a role in trackstanding?
    Lol....sorry about that. Wrong link.

Try this link. That should help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    And I was under the impression that eye dominance thingy has a zen to trials... LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast