Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: "Trials Only"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hey ya'll,
    A newbie here!!
    Has anyone tried to use a FatBike with a 26x3.8" rear tire and wide rim and a lightweight "standard" type 26" front tire for a trials bike?

Wouldn't the greater volume help out?

mtbr member
    So who's riding Trials in the U.S.? California? Besides Ryan Leech, LOL!

I am beginning and the learning curve is HUGE!!!!

Practicing Trackstands of the first four basics, first. Do these ever get perfected? These are tough to feel 100% confident in maintaining anytime anywhere.

Here's my stock Gravity 26

"Trials Only"-gravity-tank-trials-26.jpg

Gotta pay to play
    I've been working on trials movements for the last year or so. Still no where near awesome though. I'm just using my mountain bike. My trackstands got pretty good after a few months of training every day. It is one of those things that just comes really really slow but will finally just click. Now I can pretty much to them with the bars pointing in any direction and either foot in front.

Currently I'm working on fakie's, wheelie's, j-hops, and back wheel pivots (my front wheels are decent but I can't do a 180 turn- more like 90's)

I really wish there was more of a trials interest in the USA. I've got Leech's instructional video but I have the feeling I'd progress a lot faster if I could hang out with other peeps that were more skilled.

mtbr member
    Iím having the problem of constantly falling into my trackstands. 9 times out of 10 when I turn the front wheel one direction I fall in that direction. Usually I have the power foot outward of the direction of the turn. Am I not turning the wheel enough or maybe just need to shift my weight outward a little more?

So far I only know trackstands, rocking, pivots & hops as the four basic things needed to learn first. This video has helped me start to understand trials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zzq...layer_embedded

Do you have any videos showing how to do fakie's, j-hops, and back wheel pivots? Iíve never heard of them. Does a back wheel pivot mean you move the back wheel and keep the front stationary? A purpose-built bike would probably help immensely with that!

Thatís funny you mention you mention Ryan Leech's instructional video, I follow him a little bit because he rides stock and thatís the same class bike I have. I just bought his DVD this week and am waiting for it in the mail. I hope itís good. But nothing beats practice as we all know.

I agree, some good comradery is a lot of fun and likely super beneficial as you can get unbiased outside opinions.

I did something today that Iíve never done before. I usually can do trackstands against object fairly well but not stand alone. So just for giggles I did a one-handed trackstand against an object and took a selfie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-one-handed-trackstand-against-object-selfie-sm.jpg  

Gotta pay to play
    Rondo,

Try ThinkBike's awesome tutorials-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcGOqDSq1k

"Does a back wheel pivot mean you move the back wheel and keep the front stationary?"

That's a front wheel pivot. I can do those really well right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJc_t30viYY

At 55 seconds Ryan rocks back and forth with wheel pivots. I haven't figured out how to move my front around while my back is carrying the weight.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm all alone as well. There are several other trials riders in ohio, but, between work and family I can't seem to find the time to travel to group rides.

Best trials based instructional site is TrashZen Trials riding tutorials.

Best trials forum in the US is Observed Trials. They are creatively foul mouthed and abrasive there, so beware if you get offended easily.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    My trials bikes.

Born 26" frame, neon/because/echo bits.
    "Trials Only"-image.jpg

Diamondback Ashton Effect 24".
    "Trials Only"-image.jpg
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Michael nice videos! Thanks for sharing! Will have to practice those. Got my video today but just worked an 18 hour shift and am going to bed.

Curt, cool bike! They're all starting to look alike aren't they?

mtbr member
    Tried to convert my rear brakes from V to disc. Bolted up a 203mm rotor and a 203 IS to PM adaptor and it did not come close to fitting. The caliper is all the way into the rotor and will go no further.

What am I missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-203mm-disc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

"Trials Only"

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Tried to convert my rear brakes from V to disc. Bolted up a 203mm rotor and a 203 IS to PM adaptor and it did not come close to fitting. The caliper is all the way into the rotor and will go no further.

What am I missing?
    you need the correct adaptor/spacer for a 203mm rotor ON THE REAR.

A +20mm PM spacer may work with the IStoPM adaptor.

Sent from somewhere
    I'm just a f'ing Squirrel for crying out loud!

mtbr member

I'm new.

I'm new on here and really low tech. I'm trying to ad a pic from my phone. maybe just copy and past. let's see if this works.
    Shaun Martin at Battle Ground Lake Trail in Battle Ground, Washington, United States - photo by shaunmm - Pinkbike

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5