Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 111

Thread: "Trials Only"

  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: literocola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    570
    Been riding trials for years now.

    Ill post up a couple bikes.

    Currently riding a Neon Bow.




    Orig. Paint- which I hated so much.



    Bike before that was a Rockman Kortz II- frame lasted 3 months before breaking. Geo was terrible, but was very light.





    Bike before that was a Norco Moment, lasted about 4 months before breaking.






    Had a Czar Ivan for a while, she ended up getting stolen from a house I was living in got broken into. Me and my two other roommates took a hard hit from that ******* that robbed us. Naturally bike was never recovered.






    I also have a Brisa B26D- A classic.


    A Simtra ST-1. Was a friends, he thought he would like trials, but became very frustrated with how diffacult trials is to "master". He sold the bike and god only knows where its at now



    Me on a Planet X w/ suspension, sporting pink, when pink was all the rage.


    My 1st "true" trials bike, produced from a company called Tank. They were cheap, inexpensive, and every stock part on it broke a painful death.




    Some other bikes that Ive encountered over the years.

    Echo HiFi-

    Zoo! Pitbull 07- Amazing frames.
    Last edited by literocola; 04-04-2012 at 07:56 PM.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    167
    Bringing back some old school. My first trials bike from somewhere in the 90's. Still got it, though the rear brake pads disintegrated in the shed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-photo.jpg  


  3. #78
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,995

    Good job!

    So cool!

    Thanks for sharing...

  4. #79
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    Bringing back some old school. My first trials bike from somewhere in the 90's. Still got it, though the rear brake pads disintegrated in the shed.
    Anthony, your Ibis is gorgeous...always wanted one of those...if it ever gets tired of living in your shed, please give it directions to my house


    Steve

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    167
    Thanks! I actually tried to sell it a while back when I stopped riding bicycles for several years. Luckily I regained my sanity, and now I've got some friends interested in learning trials. I'm going to get the Ibis back into running shape, and I just picked up a Zoo mod bike from a friend as well. We'll have some trials parties in the parking lot after the single speed rides.

  6. #81
    The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Reputation: eastcoaststeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
    Thanks! I actually tried to sell it a while back when I stopped riding bicycles for several years. Luckily I regained my sanity, and now I've got some friends interested in learning trials. I'm going to get the Ibis back into running shape, and I just picked up a Zoo mod bike from a friend as well. We'll have some trials parties in the parking lot after the single speed rides.


    Cool. Beat the hell out of the Zoo, but take care of the IBIS...have fun.


    Steve

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nandus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by idig2000 View Post
    NOS Planet X Zebdi. Built up a couple years back.
    Pardon me for thread jacking, but is anyone familiar with a modern equivalent to the Planet X Zebdi?

    I always thought it was cool that the Zebdi was marketed as a flexible platform that could be used for trials, DJ or FR.

    I have a pile of parts that are ready to be put on a frame, but I don't want to commit to a Trials specific design. I would like a frame that can be comfortably pedaled to and from my riding spots as well as an occasional XC trail ride here and there.

    Any suggestions?

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    637
    Any of the Inspireds, Because Simple Street (becausebike.com), NS Majesty looks to have a high enough BB to be Trialsy, and Ozonys King of Dunce.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nandus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Any of the Inspireds, Because Simple Street (becausebike.com), NS Majesty looks to have a high enough BB to be Trialsy, and Ozonys King of Dunce.


    The Ozony looks great, but unfortunately it's a 24" bike (I have parts from my old FS freeride bike that I want to move over to a new frame).

    The NS looks like it may fit my needs. I am trying to find one for a good price and color that I like.

    Thanks for the suggestions.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    269

    Re: "Trials Only"

    Here's a roller like a reincarnated Ibis...sort of half mod/half street trials....sort of a trailsy mod if you will...
    "Just because we both ride mountain bikes doesn't mean were friends!"

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spidennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    109
    I live at the beach, not a lot "technical" stuff .... but I ride my mt bike on the beach quite a bit, and usually end up at the rock jetties, and it always gets my attention. I've always admired the motorcycle trials riders and their skill ..... and always wanted to get a trials bike but never could justify it in my area. Now that I'm doing more biking and having those rock jetties that I play on I'm wanting to do more. I am destined to get a fat bike as that is THE bike for the beach and I've been thinking about how to ride the jetties with my present mt bike and my future fat bike but then I remembered that a friend gave me his kid's freestyle for a project and I never cut it up. I just dug it out of the garage ..... could this be my bicycle trials bike for the jetties? It needs some work, tube, chain, etc but I think I'm gonna give it a go. I'll have to shoot some video of my "rock garden" the next time I'm out and you'll see what's drawing me into this. I'll post a bike pic shortly ......

  12. #87
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    679
    Hey all- looking to start practicing some trials stuff to improve my mtb skills. Couple of questions:

    Does it matter if I have a 29er? Could I just take the seat post off or lower it as much as possible- or am I going to be better off just spending the money on a trials bike?

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    269

    Re: "Trials Only"

    Quote Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
    I live at the beach, not a lot "technical" stuff .... but I ride my mt bike on the beach quite a bit, and usually end up at the rock jetties, and it always gets my attention. I've always admired the motorcycle trials riders and their skill ..... and always wanted to get a trials bike but never could justify it in my area. Now that I'm doing more biking and having those rock jetties that I play on I'm wanting to do more. I am destined to get a fat bike as that is THE bike for the beach and I've been thinking about how to ride the jetties with my present mt bike and my future fat bike but then I remembered that a friend gave me his kid's freestyle for a project and I never cut it up. I just dug it out of the garage ..... could this be my bicycle trials bike for the jetties? It needs some work, tube, chain, etc but I think I'm gonna give it a go. I'll have to shoot some video of my "rock garden" the next time I'm out and you'll see what's drawing me into this. I'll post a bike pic shortly ......
    What beach?
    What bike?
    "Just because we both ride mountain bikes doesn't mean were friends!"

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    269

    Re: "Trials Only"

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Hey all- looking to start practicing some trials stuff to improve my mtb skills. Couple of questions:

    Does it matter if I have a 29er? Could I just take the seat post off or lower it as much as possible- or am I going to be better off just spending the money on a trials bike?
    For hopping trials, a 29er will be difficult to control.
    If you're talking about the old rolling trials where you actually RIDE your bike, a 29er supposedly ROLLS better. But tight moves will still be difficult. But hey, maybe you'll start a new movement!
    "Just because we both ride mountain bikes doesn't mean were friends!"

  15. #90
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    525
    Sorry no action shots, but here's my two trials bikes.

    Ashton Effect 24", bought this as a used complete.
    "Trials Only"-image.jpg

    Born 26" I built with assorted Echo and Neon bits.
    "Trials Only"-image.jpg

    "Trials Only"-image.jpg
    Last edited by curtboroff; 03-29-2014 at 02:08 PM.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  16. #91
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,995

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Dirty,

    Glad ya brought it back up, I hope more share their pics and stories!

    We had a chance to ride with Hans!...
    ...what a great guy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-98iuhyg.jpg  

    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 06-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.

  17. #92
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    679
    Hey all,

    Been practicing for about a month now on my SS rigid 29er. Not even bothering to lower the seat down.

    I work on trials maybe 15-30 minutes once a day. I've got 2 of the 4 trackstand variations down very well. I can hop in place decently, and I feel pretty confident in my endos.

    Working on front wheel pivots and wheelies. Front wheel pivots have been harder than expected. I can do them fine if the bike is moving at a slow pace but when I hit the brakes and go into full endo mode my brain gets all confused. I'm sure I'll have a light bulb moment soon.

    It's really amazing what this stuff has done for my normal mountain bike riding. Spending a few minutes every day endoing really makes down hill techy trails less scary.

    I've been using Ryan Leech's video and the stuff from ThinkBikes' youtube page.

    Anyone have any tips they want to share?

  18. #93
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,995
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Hey all,

    Been practicing for about a month now on my SS rigid 29er. Not even bothering to lower the seat down.

    I work on trials maybe 15-30 minutes once a day. I've got 2 of the 4 trackstand variations down very well. I can hop in place decently, and I feel pretty confident in my endos.

    Working on front wheel pivots and wheelies. Front wheel pivots have been harder than expected. I can do them fine if the bike is moving at a slow pace but when I hit the brakes and go into full endo mode my brain gets all confused. I'm sure I'll have a light bulb moment soon.

    It's really amazing what this stuff has done for my normal mountain bike riding. Spending a few minutes every day endoing really makes down hill techy trails less scary.

    I've been using Ryan Leech's video and the stuff from ThinkBikes' youtube page.

    Anyone have any tips they want to share?
    Maybe I can shed some light on front wheel pivots, I love them and yes it has made me also more comfortable with going down cliffs and rolling drops...

    ...speed determines how much braking force you need. Brake modulation is the key being comfortable with squeezing just the right amount and throwing your hips into it. You don't need to fully lock your front brake.

    Once you get that, to do a drifter or turning pivot, it's all in the pre pivot set up a slight front wheel turn and you rear end should come around behind you in the direction you want to pivot and throwing your hips to that side will get it done for ya! Just remember not too much front wheel turn as you could tweek your rim.

    From all the time I have spent with great trials guys and watching the more of this you do the less effort it takes till it become very small moves that result in the application of any move your trying to be completed.

    Hope my words help and keep trying and having fun with it.

  19. #94
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Once you get that, to do a drifter or turning pivot, it's all in the pre pivot set up a slight front wheel turn and you rear end should come around behind you in the direction you want to pivot and throwing your hips to that side will get it done for ya! Just remember not too much front wheel turn as you could tweek your rim.
    Do you mean like counter steering before committing to the movement?

    I think braking (even to modulate) is my hiccup since I am able to do a pivot while the bike is moving slowly forward.

    It seems there are two different progression methods for the move:

    Thinkbike takes front wheel pivoting as the "next step" from endoing. Ryan Leech seems to make it be part of the "Rocking" segment:


  20. #95
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,995
    +1 Ya just a bit of counter steer. Not relying on the brakes is really damn cool. It works for ya so go with it. Once you lift your rear wheel off the ground you use your handlebars and arms as a levers and twist your hips.

    Leech is awesome!

  21. #96
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    525
    Trials riding tutorials to learn bike trials and improve your mtb riding skills.
    Great trials technique site, and he just put out a book last winter.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  22. #97
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    679
    Hey friends. Wanted to give an update on my progress:

    Track stands are awesome. Can do 3 of the 4 variations almost effortlessly. Haven't messed around with the last one yet (for me this is wheel turned right left foot forward) but I believe it will come easily.

    Front wheel pivots are going really well. I can do 90 degree turns from a stand still now with the brakes on. I can do 180's by doing two front wheel pivots with a track stand for a brief second between them.

    I'm working on my rocking. It's coming along good but I really want to get it to what Ryan demonstrates at the 00:55 mark in the video above- where I can combine a front wheel pivot with a rocking motion to move the front wheel around the rear axis. He makes it look so easy. I still feel like I am muscling my pivots half the time.

    My hopping is pretty good. I don't trust myself to go sideways up curbs yet but I can hop with my brakes on forever without losing my balance.

    Thanks for everyone's help. This has been great for my normal MTB riding.

  23. #98
    ILIKEBIKES
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    287
    michaelscott, as you've already seen it just takes practice- it's all about getting comfortable and confident on the bike. When I first started dipping into trials I just had my Trek 6000 MTB and just was trying to trackstand. As I got more confident it just kept getting easier. Then I got a proper trials bike and kept practicing. I went on a midnight madness ride in San Diego on my road bike and, HEY I could do trackstands no problem on the roadie as well. It helps build confidence in all aspects of cycling and is just plain fun...

  24. #99
    one chain, two sprockets
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    212
    Just found this section! Here is my old school machine, now handed down to my son:
    "Trials Only"-gt-riccochet.jpg

    I have not ridden 'real' Trials is years, although my goto bike is a Banshee Scratch set-up SS with 24's. It serves every need from the skatepark, to freeride trails, to high mileage XC. It's just not geared low enough for Trials - although I do think about this all the time..!

    Tom P.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Weinerts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    284
    I know it is a dirt jump bike, but I have always wanted a trials bike..
    So I put on a front brake and some bigger tires... game on.. now it is time to start learning. I have the balance.. and I can stand around all day on the front wheel..
    I cannot for the life of me ride a wheelie..

    Every kid I know can do it - but I am 43 and I have never been able to get it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-img_20131107_154422_915.jpg  

    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trials or "-esque" moves with 29ers?
    By Drevil in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 01:51 AM
  2. Moon Lake Tuesday Night "TRIALS" Ride
    By NEPMTBA in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 07:03 PM
  3. high wire "trials" passion.
    By zzsean in forum Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
  4. Anyone ride "Trials" --- not Trails --- LOL
    By NEPMTBA in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
  5. cool trials "motorbike"
    By SinglePivot in forum Passion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •