Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Trials Only"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Picked this up a week ago. It's a 26" Inspired Element. I've been interested in trials since I started mountain biking, but never took the plunge. Glad I did, practicing trials skills on a XC bike with clipless pedals SUCKS! I've been riding it every day, and have progressed more in the last week than in the last 3 or 4 years combined.
    Wow! Nice bike, strader! So is the bike XCable with a longer post?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't think it would work very well. The bike has a very mountain bikish feel to it with the wide bars, and the BB is lower than a dedicated trials rig. Beyond that, geo is way different from an XC bike: super steep head angle, almost 0 fork offset, short chainstays, and short wheelbase. Great for hopping onto and over rocks, but I wouldn't want to smash into one at speed. Geometry wise, street trials bikes are kind of a hybrid between urban/dj bikes and dedicated trials bikes (pogo sticks).

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Nice Ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love the plain look of this bike...makes me wanna buy a trials bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I had a trials bike for a short time. I was able to get to this level in 3 days. I like street riding a lot and the trials bike was just a chore to ride around, that's why I sold it. I figure I could do the same on a DJ bike with a front brake.

mtbr member

Update

Dion, watched your video. youl find if you move the bike with your weight and not your muscle that your riding seems to smooth out and you can really "get in the grove". If you ever make the switch to moto trials you'll find the biggest differences to be moving in concert with the suspension&and leaning rather than muscling the bike around. Lear to lean early, as your moves/obstacles get bigger, your body position becomes more critical. Watch any expert rider and note how they use body English rather than brute force to manipulate the bikes movements....good work, keep at it.

On 2 wheels balance is king&when you master balance you'll ride like never before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leshaghal View Post
    Dion, watched your video. youl find if you move the bike with your weight and not your muscle that your riding seems to smooth out and you can really "get in the grove". If you ever make the switch to moto trials you'll find the biggest differences to be moving in concert with the suspension&and leaning rather than muscling the bike around. Lear to lean early, as your moves/obstacles get bigger, your body position becomes more critical. Watch any expert rider and note how they use body English rather than brute force to manipulate the bikes movements....good work, keep at it.

On 2 wheels balance is king&when you master balance you'll ride like never before.
    It's hard to break old habits, because all that stuff in that video I learned 22 years ago. We used to muscle EVERYTHING back in those days - so it's something I definitely have to work on.

mtbr member
    $600 trials specific bike at Walmart???

Walmart.com: 26" Koxx Trial Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys

mtbr member
    ^^^ be cautious on that one...if you look under specifications you can clearly see that it "does not contain a battery"...they're ripping you off with their batteries not included mentality

ILIKEBIKES
    Aug 2009

ZHI Z1 Trials Bike Stolen in San Diego

Sometime between 830 pm and 10 pm last night (02/09/12) my ZHI Z1 trials bike was stolen from the back of my Jeep. The dick head ripped my soft top and punched the lock it was chained with. Stolen in North Park area of San Diego- right near the corner of University and Illinois.

The bike has no decals except for a Webcyclery decal on the top tube, is white with a silver crown on the head tube. Gray Lizard Skin peaty grips, blue/silver Crank Bros 5050 pedals. Bontrager Jones front tire, Echo SL rear fixed hub, Trial Tech 108 front free wheel, Trial Tech bars and stem, Cane Creek HS, black Trial Tech cranks, blue Echo bash guard, Shimano chain tensioner, green anodized HS33 rear brakes w/ an orangish Echo 4 bolt booster. It also has Terminator skull head valve stem caps.

Here're pics- the rear rim is now actually round and silver...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-zhi-z1a.jpg  

"Trials Only"-zhi-z1c.jpg  

"Trials Only"-zhi-z1d.jpg  

"Trials Only"-zhi-z1e.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi,

I'm trying trails riding mode on a Haro Reserve 1.1 and it is a workout! I'm getting a good start in the balance / trackstand mode. I just turned 62 and back in the early 1970's I had a fling at trials riding in the 125 class. I realize that there are many things that I won't attempt. I'm running a 25 / 16 ratio and have added a front disc. I'm having a blast and my core is getting better. Almost every stop gets a trackstand. The Haro is my first bike that even ressembles a mountain bike. I've had the 1.1 about 4 months and it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Bob Haverstock

mtbr member
    Found this locally on Craigslist yesterday. The shop I worked in the late 90's had a 20" Megamo. We beat it up so bad we had to sell it as used. I'm excited to start playing again."Trials Only"-monty-006.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice find!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    $600 trials specific bike at Walmart???

Walmart.com: 26" Koxx Trial Bike: Bikes & Riding Toys
    Seriously, there are three or four trial bikes at Walmart. My son reeeeealy wants a trials bike but we just cannot afford much. Are these bikes (or any other hobby item), you get what you pay for?
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    mine's on the left

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad View Post
    Seriously, there are three or four trial bikes at Walmart. My son reeeeealy wants a trials bike but we just cannot afford much. Are these bikes (or any other hobby item), you get what you pay for?
    Koxx is a great brand and those Walmart bikes are legit. The kids' 20" has front and rear Magura HS33 brakes- that's like $250 alone. The 26" is much less impressive spec but still a good bike for the money. You get what you pay for and what you pay for with those bikes is a great intro to trials.

Buy it, let your son shred it for a few years until he outgrows it, then sell it to the next trials hopeful and make most of your $$ back.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    mine's on the left

I want the fork off of your Ibis! Mine got crushed by a forklift, serious. Still haven't fixed it, trying to find a suitable 24" fork with U-brake mounts isn't easy.

Nice pic, btw!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Huckin' trails
    Look a this beast ! Also sold at top performance bike retailler such walmart !

From the manufacturer description :

• High performance Freestyle frame
    • 16" Wheels
    • Front Pegs
    • Training Wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Trials Only"-bike_razor_microforce.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    This is great! Thank you, Search Button..!

Strader, how do like the Element for your first trials bike? I am very interested in the 24" Element. Why did you decide to go with the 26" wheel over the 24"? Did you look at any other trials bikes before you picked the Inspired Element? If so what lead you to pick out your bike?
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by strader View Post
    Picked this up a week ago. It's a 26" Inspired Element. I've been interested in trials since I started mountain biking, but never took the plunge. Glad I did, practicing trials skills on a XC bike with clipless pedals SUCKS! I've been riding it every day, and have progressed more in the last week than in the last 3 or 4 years combined.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really like the Element, only regret is I waited this long to buy a trials bike. I've progressed more in the past 3 months than in the past 3 years combined, mostly because I can find something to ride on the trials bike almost every day versus mountain biking 1-2 days per week. I spend a lot of time hoping up and off ledges, riding the local skatepark, some pumptrack and small dirtjump, and some natural trials riding. A lot of lines there's no way in hell I wanted to try on my xc bike. It's a super versatile bike. I've got a small trials setup in my garage with a 1ft high box and 2x4's to practice side hops, trials moves, and skinny riding when the weather is crap.
    My biggest complaint about the bike is the rims. They are soft with too high of a bead lock leaving them prone to dents. I've dented the rear and pinch flatted at least 4-5 times, last time running a DH tube and 30+ psi. And that's just doing stupid stuff - tagging the rear rim on a curb. They say trials rear rims are disposable, but I have Stans XC rims that have held up to more abuse. The Avid brakes are low end but they work. The rears are brilliant with good pads - right now I'm running CNC yellows. The front BB5 does the job, all you need it for in trials is slowing down a bit and doing stoppies/front wheel pivots - an upgrade would probably be in order if you were doing hooks but that will be a long time for me. I have a Avid Elixir sitting in a box for when the BB-5 pad wears out, but so far haven't seen a need to replace it. The Truvativ and Trial Tech parts on the bike have been great - no complaints.
    26 vs 24 - I went 26" because I had read and watched the video on the tarty-bikes site the 26" bikes were better for people from a mountain bike background, plus I was really buying the bike as a skills bike to improve my mountain biking. That's changed now and I'm riding trials more for the sake of trials. That said I'd really like to try a 24 - less weight, lower BB height with same BB rise so they should corner better while still getting up on the rear wheel just as easy, and they spin better. When I bought the bike I thought no way I'm I doing spins, but now I'm working on progressing toward 180s with a hope to pull 360s some day.

mtbr member
    Awesome! I really appreciate the information. I think I have pretty much made my mind up on the Element. For what it is and from what I have read about them, they are excellent bikes for the money. The dealers Inspired shows in the U.S., their websites don't show different sized frames. Where did you buy yours from? Do these bikes only come in one size? I am 6'1" and about 165, would I be okay on the 24" Element or would the 26" be a better fit? I think I remember reading somewhere that the distance from the bars to the BB was the same on these 24" and 26", is this info correct? If so, I guess the best way to adjust the geo would be to use a different length stem?
    Thanks again for the Info!

If you don't mind, could you post a few pictures of your trials setup?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Only one size, from the specs it looks like the 26" is a tad longer. The Element 26 is 1040mm wheelbase with 390 stays, the 24 is 1020 wheelbase with 385 stays - so 1.5cm longer reach. If you can afford it you might look at the new fourplay with longer reach, shorter stays, and very slightly higher bb.
    I bought mine through Tarty-bikes which was cheaper than the US dealers even after $50 customs, international shipping, and the 3% currency conversion charge by Visa. These bikes are just expensive for what they are.
    Thomas Aarsen (TRA on trials-forum.uk) is bigger than you are and on a inspired hex. He posted a pretty good writeup on that site a while back, he's just running a slightly longer stem. Here's his vid:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I love seeing trials skills brought to mountain biking, thats my ultimate goal.

This guy has some really great videos on vimeo.

A rocky path from Raimund Matros on Vimeo.

Also Chris Akrigg has always killed it. Hope he can get back to making videos soon!

A Hill in Spain from chris akrigg on Vimeo.

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    Frame - 2004 Echo Pure/Urban
    Fork - Black no name aluminium legs, chromo steerer
    Front wheel - Stout hub with 26" Sun Ditch Witch rim
    Rear wheel - Areal Industries hub (32 engagments I think) with 26" Teny rim (very very light grind)
    BB - 128mm Truvativ team DH
    Cranks - Because ISIS 170mm
    Bash - Because
    Chain ring - 18t
    Rear cog - Trialtech 15t
    Front brake - BB7 with hayes 160mm rotor
    Rear brake - Avid SD 7 V brake
    Brake Levers - Avid SD7
    Brake cables - Jagwire Switch
    Brake Booster - Echo
    Headset - Cane creek S3
    Stem - Titec 105mm x 10deg
    Bar - Answer protaper OS
    Pedals - old black ones

Pictures.

ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet Echo, too bad they don't make a street bike anymore.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast