Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,709

    Trialable commuter/general purpose bike suggestions?

    I would like to build something that can stand up to some trials abuse but still get me to my job. I don't intend to become the wold champion of trials but it would be nice to have a bike you can go anywhere on and still use it for some trials stuff without it braking to pieces.

    What is recommended?

    I'd like a beefy steel or ti frame, with a rigid fork. I was thinking some of the praised steel brands, like chromag/evil/cove/cotic and similar.

    Brakes, no idea, what are the most used brakes for trials? I have old model Formula megas now and those seems to work quite well.

    Wheels? I was thinking an Slx hub and some quite wide mavic rim.

    Fork, any reason for suspension here?

    Is this doable? This will not be my only bike or even first choice of commuter, more like a toy I can use on good days.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I would like to build something that can stand up to some trials abuse but still get me to my job. I don't intend to become the wold champion of trials but it would be nice to have a bike you can go anywhere on and still use it for some trials stuff without it braking to pieces.

    What is recommended?

    I'd like a beefy steel or ti frame, with a rigid fork. I was thinking some of the praised steel brands, like chromag/evil/cove/cotic and similar.

    Brakes, no idea, what are the most used brakes for trials? I have old model Formula megas now and those seems to work quite well.

    Wheels? I was thinking an Slx hub and some quite wide mavic rim.

    Fork, any reason for suspension here?

    Is this doable? This will not be my only bike or even first choice of commuter, more like a toy I can use on good days.
    not clear. you want a serious bike or a 'toy'?

  3. #3
    FeeRideRules
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    217
    inspired bikes
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...


    any1 guess what bike I ride?

  4. #4
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    not clear. you want a serious bike or a 'toy'?
    A bit of both I guess. Someting to have fun with, but also ridable, like 5 miles ridable, so no real trials bike.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  5. #5
    ultra member
    Reputation: briantortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    84
    You will not be albe to do trials well on anything that you can ride over 1 mile comfortably. It is not even worth your time to try and make a half assed trials bike. You will just be unhappy with the performance. I started trials on a dj bike and it absolutely sucked. Once I switched to a real trials bike (no seat), my trials riding improved by 100%.
    Somersaults... that's how I roll.

  6. #6
    FeeRideRules
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    217
    as I said before an inspired bike is the way to go if you can afford one that is, perfect for trials/urban riding & can easily be ridden anywhere.

    I have an older Echo Pure street trials bike with 18/15 gearing & I can easily ride it all day & on quite long rides & I'm not very fit, I also have arthritis in both my knees, both hands & my lower back.

    my bike:

    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...


    any1 guess what bike I ride?

  7. #7
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,709
    Hi guys I have just watched some Ryan leech vids and it looks like he is using a fairly regular bike most of the time. The plan was to build a burly bike that takes me from a to b, in a straight line. I'm not attempting any macaskill stunts more like being able to take some nice shortcuts on top of things and over stuff that you really shouldn't. And jumping down from things. Maybe I'll just get one of those adjustable seatposts and try it on my current bike.

    Btw what would happen if I had a full suspension bike and landed on the rear wheel with the brake locked from like 5-6ft? Would the bike break? Any particular design that would work better than the rest for my use? I'm not really planning on getting a fs bike, I think it will get expensive enough as it is.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  8. #8
    FeeRideRules
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    217
    Ryan leech uses an older Norco urban trials bike with a short travel fork
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...


    any1 guess what bike I ride?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    391
    Hi guys I have just watched some Ryan leech vids and it looks like he is using a fairly regular bike most of the time
    Ryan Leech can ride a bike like that because he's Ryan Leech Leech, Macaskil, Chase those guys could backflip a trycycle. Mortals like the rest of us need the right tools for the job.

    I'm not attempting any macaskill stunts more like being able to take some nice shortcuts on top of things and over stuff that you really shouldn't. And jumping down from things
    Sounds like you'd be better off on a dirt jumper with gears. Pick your favorite bike company- everybody makes one. I like Black Market Mob but there's dozens of good DJ/Urban bikes to choose from. Not trying to scare you away from trials, but it takes such a different bike and skillset that it really is no fun at all if you half-ass it.

    Quote Originally Posted by briantortilla View Post
    You will not be albe to do trials well on anything that you can ride over 1 mile comfortably. It is not even worth your time to try and make a half assed trials bike. You will just be unhappy with the performance. I started trials on a dj bike and it absolutely sucked. Once I switched to a real trials bike (no seat), my trials riding improved by 100%.
    Everything you need to know is right here ^^^, agree 100%.

  10. #10
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Hmm, we seem to have the same interests there.

    Currently I use a Fireeye 360, rigid fork, single speed, Magura HS33 brakes, and a custom made 500mm carbon seat post.

    It does the job.

    I am working on a somewhat more advanced solution these days.
    I have made a carbon tube set for a 26" geared trial bike, with a removable seat post tower (think old Intense/Haro style), but it is still a few weeks from being complete.
    I did some tests during this week, in regard of the amount of abuse a carbon frame can take in a potential crash, and found it to be fairly easy to make something that is by far more impact resistant than metal.

    Magura

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cmc4130's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    . . .


    Sounds like you'd be better off on a dirt jumper with gears.
    Agreed. Maybe even DJ single speed. I'm biased though. I've never owned a trials bike.

    This ain't a Trials forum.

  12. #12
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    Hmm, we seem to have the same interests there.

    Currently I use a Fireeye 360, rigid fork, single speed, Magura HS33 brakes, and a custom made 500mm carbon seat post.

    It does the job.

    I am working on a somewhat more advanced solution these days.
    I have made a carbon tube set for a 26" geared trial bike, with a removable seat post tower (think old Intense/Haro style), but it is still a few weeks from being complete.
    I did some tests during this week, in regard of the amount of abuse a carbon frame can take in a potential crash, and found it to be fairly easy to make something that is by far more impact resistant than metal.

    Magura
    Carbon is tempting because one can do it at home and I have made composites before and know how they make them in aerospace. I wonder how thick a frame has to be to withstand some abuse. Also whats the current price/kg of fiber mat? What vacuum is needed for the bagging to work? I think I can pull 200mbar with my vacuum cleaner or something similar. Will this work?

    I think I could build myself some tubes and then make lugs and join them, not just talking sticking a tube in another tube and call it a day but a continous transition of maybe 4 inches, that would probably hold up nicely.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  13. #13
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    I made the tubeset using bladder molding, so no vacuum involved.

    The cost of carbon, depends a lot of what type and which shape, so no general rules really.

    As for the thickness, it again is dependent of the fiber layup. Anything from 1mm to 3mm, also depending where on the frame.

    Try reading up on what others have done. There are plenty of well documented builds out there. Most of them for road frames though.
    I am not aware of any previous DJ/trial carbon builds, besides a couple of commercial attempts.

    Magura

  14. #14
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,709
    Ballpark price for 3k regular weave non twill/kg?

    Bladders, I might look into that. I was thinking making the tubes by laying it up on a copper pipe or something and bagging it.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  15. #15
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Ballpark price for 3k regular weave non twill/kg?

    Bladders, I might look into that. I was thinking making the tubes by laying it up on a copper pipe or something and bagging it.
    Again, it depends which type and quality.

    Do a search, plenty of companies sells small quantities of carbon.


    Magura

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    192
    You don't need a trials bike to do basic trials moves. If you just want to ride on / off of picnic tables and pedal kick gap stuff you can do that on pretty much any bike. I occasionally do so on my 40+ lb downhill 29er bike, although I avoid doing it too often as I already snapped one rear chainstay by the brake mounts. I am back on it more again though as my real trials bike is in for warranty repairs. If you get hydro disc brakes get saints or BB7 if mechanical. Not sure about rim brakes. For adjustable seatposts I am aware of, the raise black mamba has the most travel. Expect your bike to have a useful life of 1-2 years if its aluminum depending on the warranty, companies don't like covering more than one broken frame to the same customer in a one year period. If your going custom geo Triton makes some pretty sweet frames.



    Short answer: You can do it but expect to break stuff and not do as big of moves as you could do on a real trials bike.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Btw what would happen if I had a full suspension bike and landed on the rear wheel with the brake locked from like 5-6ft? Would the bike break? Any particular design that would work better than the rest for my use? I'm not really planning on getting a fs bike, I think it will get expensive enough as it is.
    If the chainstays are not braced by the disc brake tabs you will be more likely to if you do it a lot, you also might go through lots of suspension linkage bearings. If you take your trials riding seriously don't get a dually. The best fs bikes I have ridden trials on are slope bikes, due to their low standover and build quality, although you'll probably want to stick to a trials bike unless you also plan on doing a lot of dirt jumping / freeride / street.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •