mtbr member

Transition T.o.P. Info...

basically after reading a bit more about the Trail or Park i sort of got to be interested in the frame....i really dig my current frame ( identiti dr. Jekyll) but it just feels small on me at times. i should of got the XL version but i thought it mite be too long. the jekyll also creaks a ton im guessing because its aluminum and even with grease i can't get it to stop. i like everything else about the bike but i've been looking around at a new steel frame.

the ToP seems like a super reasonable price from a company i have heard a bunch of great things about, im only concerned a bit about the weight of the frame. i have to admit i've become a weight weeny for sure but lighter bikes rule. my current frame is 5.6 lbs where as the ToP is 6.4. doesn't seem like a huge difference but i just wanted a few opinions from owners....this is my DJ/4X bike by the way

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    29lbs as pictured...

But now that I look at it, I realize that there are some pretty light parts on there... If you do a fat saddle, steel cranks and a heavy fork, you will be looking at 32lbs I figure.

JMH
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    29lbs as pictured...

But now that I look at it, I realize that there are some pretty light parts on there... If you do a fat saddle, steel cranks and a heavy fork, you will be looking at 32lbs I figure.

JMH

thanks bro, ya mine would have some pretty light parts on it as well actually.....pike sl, saint cranks, midweight wheelset, road seat....probably wouldn't be too bad really. only difference is mine would be geared for now, mite go SS soon though to loose the weight and hassle. i appreciate the post! besides the whole weight question, do you like the frame?

Local Paperboy Hero
    PM Fiddy Ryder, if he doesn't post. I think he loves his. I think it looks rad. And he throws down on it...

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    29lbs as pictured...

JMH
    nice bike.... how do the holy rollers compare?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, for racing 4x you could go lighter in several areas. You wouldn't need anything as heavy as a DeeMax probably, and you could use lighter saddle and post, carbon bar, etc.

If I could change one thing, I would shorten the TT by a quarter inch and shorten the chainstays by the same, or maybe 1/2". I guess that's two things. Heh.

I have the 06 Large, which makes it 23.5" long... I like long bikes since I have long arms and legs, but maybe just a bit shorter. Also, I just filed 1/4" out of the dropouts to move my wheel forward and get a 16" chainstay.

The new geometry has shorter stays, and I think the top tube is shorter also, so maybe I should just get the 07?

But I am being nit-picky... the frame is great! I have to admit that I am not a great street rider, so I hardly push it. But it's responsive and snappy, has a good feel. Plus Transition is a great company. I really like those guys.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    besides the whole weight question, do you like the frame?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Hey there! How are those tires working out? Are you still on 24"?

Haven't seen you posting as much, but I figure school is a grind.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    nice bike.... how do the holy rollers compare?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    werd.. my ToP tips the scales around 30.5-31, burly parts spec, its tough and gonna last. Im sure I could get it right under 30 with lighter tires and tubes. Also running an Outlaw rear, that isnt the lightest of wheels. Ill be switching out he Hayes mag for a juicy soon which will drop a some ounces.

Look at the new 07 models. shorter chainstays and I believe 3 different sizes.
    Last edited by fiddy_ryder; 10-25-2006 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    werd.. my ToP tips the scales around 30.5-31, burly parts spec, its tough and gonna last. Im sure I could get it right under 30 with lighter tires and tubes. Also running an Outlaw rear, that isnt the lightest of wheels. Ill be switching out he Hayes mag for a juicy soon which will drop a some ounces.

Look at the new 07 models. shorter chainstays and I believe 3 different sizes.

thanks for the help everyone im waiting for the guys at transition to email me back momentarily so we'll see

mtbr member
    Who cares about the weight! lol it'll be indestructable and dependable.

But I do see where your coming from.

anywho, have fun with whatever you decide.
    woooooooooo

Custom User Title
    I'm not too concerned about the weight. I'm more concerned about something I can pitch in the air and not have to rebuild or replace things when it lands.

I like the geo of this bike and it looks nice with the white frame and Argyle fork.
    Team MOJO Wheels.