mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Transition Bikes Double

Hey did any1 else here check out the teansition bikes vid. off pinkbike.com. I was looking at the Double and have now decided that I need to get one. check out transition's web site for more info and leave me some opnions. http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/index.cfm
    later

I post too much.
    I'm waiting on nemesis's dually before I make a decision.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    The Double looks totally dope..
    however, completely nonversatile.. so, if your gig is hitting DJ's 4-5+ times a week, then that rig's for you.

Me, i prefer something that's DJ-able but still allows for some freeride/DH/trail riding and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I think just about every Transition bike is awesome. That sucks that you will have to wait to next year to get your hands on one. If you want something more verstile then I suggest looking at the BottleRocket. That is my personal choice.

On a side note I just convienced my boss to become a dealer. SO if you are in the Chicago area and looking to get a Transition check out American Bike in Plainfield,IL. Not sure if we are going to keep them stocked, still trying to convience him of that,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ...

Well it wont be next year i found out. I ended up talking to Kyle from transition yesterday and pre-ordering one. Its a small in the burnt orage color, it will be setup as a single speed, with the fork pictued on the site as well as the Fox RP23 shock and a cutom build by Kyle himself. The frame is also gonna be sign my Mike Metzger, and all the rest of the guys from Transition. I'll post pics once I get the bike.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You're stoked, that bike is going to be a runner.

I love the colors, and they just look like fun bikes to play around on.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by karfreakz
    Well it wont be next year i found out. I ended up talking to Kyle from transition yesterday and pre-ordering one. Its a small in the burnt orage color, it will be setup as a single speed, with the fork pictued on the site as well as the Fox RP23 shock and a cutom build by Kyle himself. The frame is also gonna be sign my Mike Metzger, and all the rest of the guys from Transition. I'll post pics once I get the bike.

I post too much.
    If I bought one it'd be a play/slopestyle bike for sure.

gnar, brah
    I think the Double would actually be a pretty versatile little bike. Basically it would do all the things you do on a hardtail. DJ/Urban/whatever. I don't ride park, but I don't imagine it would be a good match for that, but would be a great little bike to have for just about everything else. Look at what people do on other Transition bikes the "don't have enough travel" in the back. Look at what is being done on the Preston (120mm) and the Bottlerocket (140mm). I love my hardtail, but if I get the funds, the Double would press it into an early retirement, I can tell you that.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Im gonna single speed a small also. All white for me. It's gonna be for urban use only, cause my bottlerocket will take care of the rest.

Any word on the tensioner they are working on?

Premium Member
    Why the heck would you buy a Double for urban? For "real" street/urban riding a FS bike would blow, especially the more tech you get.

local trails rider
    The Double has me wondering...
    maybe it would work as a tough trailbike, meaning rougher than what I consider XC but long travel is not really needed (or wanted).

The Long geometry is not that different from my Medium Banshee Scirocco, except for the short seat tube. ... Put a long seat post on a Double and hit those rocky trails where the Scirocco tires me quickly...

destructionismyobjective
    I would murder you all with my bare hands for the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    On the tensioner question I talked to Kyle a few days ago and he is still prototyping one there at hte shop. I was wven nice enough to offer to test it out for him at no cost. LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well

it's just a matter of preference. i'm not afraid to try something new. technology changes all the time. I feel like I'm on a hardtail when I ride the bottlerocket, so the double should feel the same. as long as I have a chain tensioner I will be ok.

I am only riding for fun and only wish to have fun and preserve my joints for as long as possible.

no big deal
    That double is pretty sick, I just test rode a prototype one the other day. It's just enough rear travel to give you the confidence to nail big gaps at the dirt jumps.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr remember
    why didn't they just make adjustable sliding dropouts? I think the CS's are a bit long anyway, and especially if you wanted to run 24's... I think the adjustability factor on a frame like that could sell it to a bigger audience...
    and as for running it SS, that will be interesting, maybe the tensioner will look like a Paul Melvin, in order to take up enough slack and accomodate for the chain growth of the susp... might still slap the chainstays.
    Schralp it Heavy.

local trails rider
    We need a picture.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    that a b-e-a-utiful bike. hey, wait, im getting that same bike

destructionismyobjective
    Just one question. What kind of jobs do you all have to be able to even think about buying a bike at 2k or more?? And as much as i want that bike i dont think i could afford something like that any time soon. I dont have a great job but I dont work at mcdonalds either---must be doin something wrong

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider
    Just one question. What kind of jobs do you all have to be able to even think about buying a bike at 2k or more?? And as much as i want that bike i dont think i could afford something like that any time soon. I dont have a great job but I dont work at mcdonalds either---must be doin something wrong

not all of us are 16yrs old ive been in teh tech industry for 6 yrs (26 yrs old) and am a Systems Engineer. i know it sounds cheesy,, but stay in school and work hard to play later

local trails rider
    Married, one kid, two cats, both adults have a job, adequate house (big loan), one car:
    five bikes in the family, three of them are mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I do creidt card prossesing for a large company. I bust my butt, however the paychecks are worth it.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by bitterrider
    Priorities man... personally, I do not understand how people can justify $20k+ new cars, big TVs, etc. Bikes on the other hand... some of us live to ride. With that being said, never forget you do not need a $2k bike to have fun.

resident dumbass
    Hear hear . . .

Let's see, my bike's total cost is nearing .45 K, and I have a total blast on it. Of course, I got a totally kickass used deal on it, but you get the point.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Here's a pointer:

If you cut your eating and drinking expenses in half ( think bringing food from home ) you probably end up saving about $200 a month. Which means you can have your dream bike in less than one year.

Just work on your bike skills for now. As you get older you will be able to afford bigger and better things.