mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Transferring old components to a new frame- suggestions?

I have a 2004 Giant Warp DJ. The DJ was never sold in America, it's a full suspension 24" mtb. Fork is meh (SR Suntour), but I upgraded the cranks and BB after damaging the old ones, and I like the 1x9 setup (X9 I believe- maybe X7). And it has Avid BB brakes (BB7s?)

Basically, I like how it's set up, but I want a hardtail DJ setup, either rigid or suspension fork.

I'd like to get a hardtail frame to transfer as many components I can to. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? I've been entirely out of the mtb scene for the past 7 or so years, been riding only road/cyclocross.

I realize I may have to replace the headset and bottom bracket, but it'd be sweet to keep the wheels, derailleur, cranks, stem and bars.

edit: Steel is preferred but not necessary

edit: I have 24" wheels, so I'm looking for a frame designed for those, not a frame sized 24"

mtbr member
    First off, to be able to swap out as much as possible, you'll need to find a 1 1/8 straight headtube since now some come with tapered headtubes. You will also need to find a frame that is 10x135mm for the rear dropouts as there's a few variations now. And the frame can't be thru-axle. You may or may not have to swap BBs depending on the kind you have. Size questions for the BBs are whether it's 68 or 73mm wide and whether it's Euro/Spanish/American size diameter. Most mountain bikes are euro but some vary, particularly in DJ bikes. Besides all that, you just have to consider the seatpost and seat collar which those can be any number of sizes. If you swap to a frame that is the same material, you are more likely to be able to swap those, but most likely won't if your are switching frame materials. But you probably will have to replace anyway.

Your hardest chore is finding a 24" frame with the geo you want. 24" are not all that common these days with out being BMX or trials. Looking for used or old stock on places like pinkbike or ebay might be your best bet.

mtbr member
    just get a new school complete used on craigslist . . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!! pleeez.