mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Tire sizes...bigger up front or no?

Hey y'all...I'm looking to get new tires for the bike..I mostly do urban assalt/park stuffs(not much off road, if any at all)...well trying at least...I've decided on Kenda K-Rads 26x2.3. Right now my bike has 2.35 up front and 2.0 in the rear...Why would/should peeps run it this way? I bought my bike used and it came like that. I know I used to run larger in the front on my 20" BMX for handling/jumping/BMXing purposes...I'm sure I don't need to set it up the same way. But what are some Pros and Cons? Also does anyone know off the top of their head if 2.3 fit in the rear of my Haro 8.3? I'm sure it can...I need new tire quick! The belts/plys are showing thru my tires!!! Thanks!

mtbr member
    for downhill, people often have a largre front tire, and sometimes larger on the front for dirtjumping. Two 2.3s will be fine. most people i know run the exact same tires front and rear for urban. it will fit your haro for sure

mtbr remember
    realize that tire size/volume can slightly effect your geometry as well, such as head angle and bb height.
    yeah, mine are slightly different, a bit larger in front than rear. I run a DMR moto r/t up front and a kenda kiniption out back. Most all tire companies may rate their tires as one size, but it may end up being smaller or larger than a competing companies same listed size... it's odd like that....
    on my DH/FR bike, I run the same size front and rear, Kenda bluegroove DH 2.5 front, and Nevegal 2.5 DH in the rear...
    then for trials, which is one of the most extremely specific genres of the biking sport, most people run extremely large tires out back, usually with DH casing tires, then a more intermediate sized, lighter one in the front. This is because most of your time is spent on the back tire, and it needs to be able to take big hits. But, that said, I would not set up my street bike like my trials bike...
    Schralp it Heavy.