Thread: Tire Pressure

mtbr member

Tire Pressure

My tires are both pumped to 65 psi. (max for holyrollers). I've heard that having them pumped is good for street. But... i got thinking, if they werent rock hard, wouldnt that help save your rims a bit? Just have the tire cushon blows for the rim?

I post too much.
    No, it's the exact opposite. Having the tires too soft would make you flat spot your rims an awful lot more. You'd "bottom out" the tire all the time, kind of like having a fork that is too soft, and your weight would be resting on your rim, this is especially true for tricks like abubacas and general skatepark riding. Having the tires pumped to proper pressure make them absorb those impacts easier, and saves your rims. There's a reason roadies pump their skinny tires up to 120psi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    samething applies for car tires.....

mtbr member
    word, snaky basically said it all. higher PSI will save your rims....and is better for street. you will also roll faster with higher PSI. i run anywhere from 45-60 PSI with my Arrow Launchs, just depends what im riding.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    word, snaky basically said it all. higher PSI will save your rims....and is better for street. you will also roll faster with higher PSI. i run anywhere from 45-60 PSI with my Arrow Launchs, just depends what im riding.
    I asked brad about those because I know he runs one, I'll ask you too. How do they hold up to normal wear? Like just riding around town(I do a lot of that to get to my spots, but I'd love to have a streetable tire with some grip on the dirt jumps(my kiniptions definitely aren't cutting it.)