Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Thought on the Specialized P series bikes?

found a 04 and a 05 that are in my price range. both are pretty much stock. 04 it used a bit. not to bad.. 05 is in great shape. both are mediums. 18" i think he said. im 5 10" think it should fit fine.. would be my first DJ bike in a long time. thanks

so what are your thoughts?? thanks

mtbr member
    Just looking at the 04 and 05 archives it looks like the only difference between the two year's models is 12 months. The question is which P bikes. There is a street and a jump version as well as aluminum and CroMo frames. If you are going to be jumping don't even bother with the street P. That would be like taking a freestyle BMX to a jump track. It can only end badly.

So which one is it? Jump or street? Aluminum or CroMo?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    its aluminum. to light to be steel. just asked about the jump or street. i thought it was for both really

mtbr member
    May 2008
    just looked for myself.. its a jump one. its not a single speed

mtbr member
    May 2008
    any idea what they sold for?

mtbr member
    Depending on weather or not it is a P2 Or a P3 the MSRP would have been 700 or 1300 USD for the 2005s. This last years P2 and P3 aluminum bikes listed for 1350 and 1650 USD.

mtbr member
    Wait, what's the difference in street vs. jumping? I thought they could be used for either or..?

mtbr member
    Those first Specialized P bikes had significantly different geo as per application. One was never meant to fly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayenn
    Those first Specialized P bikes had significantly different geo as per application. One was never meant to fly.

Oh. I was gonna say...my new P1 is excellent for both applications, even says on the Specialized website

mtbr member
    May 2008
    im thinking i should pass on this bike great shape and all. , but im looking for one that can do both really. this will be last bike for a while. wish i had some more experience.

mtbr member
    What do you ride now?

I use my 2010 Specialized P1 for dirt jumping, and urban mostly. Take it to the park sometimes, but meh. I wish it had a 100mm fork, instead of 80, for dirt jumping, other then that I can't really complain about the P1 bike.

mtbr member
    Same here. My 2010 P1 is my all-arounder. I even use it to commute and do a little 4X when I can. The 2011s are similar but not quite as robust. The 2011 P2 is almost exactly like the 2010 P1 but not quite the same at the 940 USD price point.

There are other less expensive options but nothing quite as burly.

mtbr member
    Yup, same here. My commuter, dirt jumper, urban/park and even trails, just easy ones though. I don't like the 2011 with the rigid front fork, its basically a 26" BMX. I like the new P2 though, the colours are nice.

mtbr member
    The new P2 is basically the 2011 P1 with a better fork. The geo for that frame is nearly exactly the same as the 2010 P1 but with alterations to the rear to make it a true single speed frame.

I would HIGHLY recommend the 2010 P1 or the 2011 P2 to the OP, if they have the cash for it. Both rigs are very versatile as-is and in component compatibility.

mtbr member
    DJ2 is better then the DJ3? I think the next upgrade for my P1 will be a Fox Shock, just don't know when.

And what do you mean by making it a true single speed..?

mtbr member
    what I mean by true single speed is you don't have to slot in a kit or use tons of washers and or spacers to get the wheel to be inline with the frame. If you look at how your rear hub slots into the frame you will see that on the chain side there are several spacers there to center the wheel. You will also not that the space those fill is enough for a multi-speed setup.

The 2010 P1 is a single speed setup of the 2010 P2 CroMo multi-speed. The 2011 P1 and P2 do not have the geo for multi-speed. They are dedicated single-speed frames. You can convert the 2010 CroMos to multi speed but you cannot do that with the 2011 CroMos.

When I say better fork I really mean that the DJ2 is supposedly better than the DJ3 in terms of it being slightly more expensive.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I would have never known. Thanks for the info! I had to go look to make sure. :P I do like the paint job and colour flow on the 2011 P bikes, compared to my 2010.

mtbr member
    Actually, I like my white P1 paint job better. Its so tacky and fem I love it. It reminds me of the splatter graphic design from the time around I was in high school in the 80s. I am going to hate when I lose it. I may have to repaint it for the winter. There is a ding in the paint that could get spoiled by salt.

mtbr member
    I like the white one, too, its nice to have everything flow. The thing I am having a hard time with, is if I want to upgrade, or change a part I can't get a colour to match. The blue on our P1 seems to be more of a teal blue.

I have some dings, and scratches on mine, but I won't be riding it in the winter, my Diamond back is ridden in the winter.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks for the info guys. i dont have anything right now.. just getting back into it now.. i have a about 500 to spend that why i have been looking at used ones. glad to hear you both like your p bikes..

mtbr member
    Oh, you think this is still your thread, do you :P

With such a general title you may have created a "fixture" here on the forums. Gratz!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    think a 18" would be good for someone that 5 10"? he said if i get it this weekend i can have it for 400. its a street one too.. really in good shape tho. like he got it, used it a few times and never touched it again thanks

mtbr member
    what is that 18" supposed to be a measurement of? The street had and effective top tube length of 22.76" and a chain stay of 15.40". I can see no measurement of 18" in the geo of the 04/05 P Street.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    good question... not sure.. not sure where he got that from. looking on there site. i think its a 05 p2.... cant make up my mind on it

mtbr member
    Okay, here is the shtick. The 05 p2 is a solid bike. At your height the short would be a better choice. However, the long is not imposable to use. The one thing the long frame would make difficult is doing a manual. Even still, it is not imposable it might just take more time to "get it". Reguardless, the manual is a rather difficult trick to learn but once you do it's easy.

moving forward, one thing the long offers that the short may not is stability while in the air. yeah, it can make tail whipping a little hard but, again, not imposable.

My guess is you are just getting into the DJ/urban thing. An older P bike is perfect for that. They are really good for getting your handle on what to do and how to do it. The mid 00s frames are serious tanks! if the welds are clean (not cracking, which you can tell by paint cracking over or around the welds) its probably in really good shape.

I'm not saying you should get it. What I am saying is getting it is not a mistake if it is in good shape. Depending on your age you will either grow into it or out grow it as your skills increase. the Specialized P line is well respected by many jumpers. They hold up and put out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast