= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005

for those of you running Pikes

For a big guy (215)... Coil or Air....?
    and why?

I know about the whole linear vs. progressive argument, but has one been more reliable than the other in your opinion?

This is to go on a Transition Vagrant, for a part time DJ, part time trail/freeride rig.

Thanks for any input.

I post too much.
    I'd probably go coil, put a firmer spring in there, the 426 with the steel steerer and solid crown would be your best bet. Pumping a lot of air in an air fork usually makes you loose small bump sensitivity.(Correct me if I'm wrong)

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    They both work great, but I would go with the coil to get the 95mm-140mm travel. The air only goes down to 115mm.

Regarding your question about reliability... coil forks will always be simpler and more durable because they don't have to maintain an air seal. Not to say that the air sprung Pikes aren't good, there is just more inside that can go wrong.

Snaky- You can keep small bump sensitivity for any weight by running the same amount of pressure in the negative chamber as the positive.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by blender
    For a big guy (215)... Coil or Air....?
    and why?

I know about the whole linear vs. progressive argument, but has one been more reliable than the other in your opinion?

This is to go on a Transition Vagrant, for a part time DJ, part time trail/freeride rig.

Thanks for any input.

Meh.
    If you're a big guy, I'd probably go with the air, they offer more adjustability. Over the long run, coil may be more maintenance free, but the air Pikes have been quite reliable. They're probably one of the best air-sprung forks on the market. They're very linear in feel, but they seem to have a little bit more progressivity towards the end than the coil.

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    ^ is there a way to make a pike 426 coil more progressive?

Meh.
    You can wrap a bit of butyl tube around some of the coils. I've been told that you can cram some elastometers in the spring.

Otherwise there's nothing that I would feel comfortable telling you to do.

I've found that it ramps up enough in the last half inch of travel to prevent bottoming. You can play with adjustments to an extent.