mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Those of you with Azonic Outlaw wheels... HELP!!!

For the life of me I cannot get a tire mounted on the FRONT Azonic rim. The back went on without a problem, but the front (which appears to have a deeper rim sidewall) are a real biatch and I cannot get a tire mounted. I've tried 2 different tires, cannot get either on.

WTF? Is there a trick to this? Changed a lot of bike tires in my days but have never had one like this.

I post too much.
    DId you try using soapy water to set the bead?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    DId you try using soapy water to set the bead?
    Have never had to do that before. Can you explain?

This tire just does not look like it will go on this rim. THought it was the tire at first, but tried a different one and had the same problem. I can't see how the fock this will work, but I could be wrong.

I post too much.
    Make some nice warm soapy water and spread it all over the bead of the tire. It'll act as a lubricant and help you put on the tire. Maybe you could try a tire lever.

mtbr member
    You just need some help from a tire lever. Or you can left wieghts for a few months and then come back to get the tire mounted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man, I've tried everything. This front rim is a bich!! I bent a tire lever trying to get the tire on still no luck.

Jesus H Christ, why the hell are these like this? Hope I never get a flat on the trail because I'll never get the muther off!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    For the life of me I cannot get a tire mounted on the FRONT Azonic rim. The back went on without a problem, but the front (which appears to have a deeper rim sidewall) are a real biatch and I cannot get a tire mounted. I've tried 2 different tires, cannot get either on.

WTF? Is there a trick to this? Changed a lot of bike tires in my days but have never had one like this.
    I own 2 sets. No problem. I even run ghetto tubeless on both sets. The worst wheelset I ever used to mount tires were Rhino Lites.

mtbr member
    I own a set on my DJ and haven't had any problems trying to fit tires on em. My boy had a pair of Maxxis Hookworms I believe that were pretty tight fitting. He couldn't manage to fit em so I had to wrench em on. I worked tha tire lever so bad the next tire change on my rig the damn thing snapped.

What I'm getting at is do you think it's your tire?

What's that smell?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Here's a similar question I had... does it make it easier based on where you start the tire? I have several mechanics type books that suggest putting the tire back on starting away from the valve stem. Mechanic at my LBS swears by starting AT the valve stem.

Does it make a difference?