mtbr member

Thinking of Building up a ToP

Okay so Ive been looking at new bikes for quite a long time now, and my sights were focused on a Specialized P2 Cro-mo. But recently Ive been looking around the net at frames that I could build up. I found the Trail or Park, its exactly what im looking for and its a reseonable price. Ive never built up a bike before and I dont really have alot of knowledge so I was just looking for suggestions or if someone could point out to me something that might to work with the other parts.... Oh yea, Im stealing parts from my current ride to save money for now.

So far the idea I have in mind is...

Frame: Transition Trail or Park
    Fork: Argyle 318 coil (frame and fork comes together off Transitions website)
    Cranks: Saint (do the saint cranks come witha BB to? I was confused about that)
    Hussefelt bars
    FSA Pig headset
    Hussefelt Stem
    BB7 front, MX-2 back (Will that work? only reason for MX-2 is b/c its on my bike now)
    Deore hubs with Rhyno light wheels
    Kenda Kenetic 2.3s ( I know I know, pretty shitty for urban but its off my old bike to)
    Alivio Rear Der (will be SS once it breaks)
    same cassete and chain and all that junk off my current ride.

It would be cool if someone could tell me if any of this stuff wont work or has better sugestions, thanks.
    woooooooooo

I post too much.
    I'd probably put the BB7 out back, it is a much better brake, and for urban you only really need a rear brake really. Other than the tires, it looks like a cheap but efficient build.

mtbr member
    Yea thats what Im aiming for. I have around $1300 to spend so Im kind of on a budjet. I know alot of people only run rear brake but the thing is, this bike is going to see some trail use and one brake probably wont be enough. It would make this more simple though.
    woooooooooo

I post too much.
    Then I suggest you get your mx-2's really dialed in, that way you shouldn't have much problems with brakes.

mtbr member
    Yea, the MX-2's are working pretty nicely now, but they were dung when i first got em. So a BB7, Mx-2 combo would work though? I was just a bit confused on that.
    woooooooooo

I post too much.
    Yeah it'll work.

mtbr member
    Do the saint cranks come with a BB? Im trying to stay far away from TruVativ for cranks because me and my friends have had nothing but problems with them. If the Saints come with a BB thats a plus. Ive also heard that saint is dam strong and light which is also pretty good.
    woooooooooo

resident dumbass
    Saints are beastly! I'd rather a holzfeller, but only because it's the same strength in a sleeker looking design. Saints will never, ever naturally break. You'd have to have a skull splitting steel wrenching bone breaking crash to endanger them. Of course, at that point the cranks would be the least of your worries. Or you could use a welding torch and/or a sledgehammer.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

AW_
    locked - time out
    Yes, the Saints come with a BB. Nice cranks. Stiff.

mtbr member
    Thats good to know, but would you by any chance know if its a euro BB, I beleive the ToP is euro....
    woooooooooo

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorh
    Yea thats what Im aiming for. I have around $1300 to spend so Im kind of on a budjet. I know alot of people only run rear brake but the thing is, this bike is going to see some trail use and one brake probably wont be enough. It would make this more simple though.
    1300 will get you one hell of a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, 73mm wide shell, english thread... the Saint or any other standard MTB bb will fit just fine. If you go with BMX cranks, you're right, it's considered a Euro BB shell.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by trevorh
    Thats good to know, but would you by any chance know if its a euro BB, I beleive the ToP is euro....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement_hurts
    1300 will get you one hell of a bike
    The frame and fork alone is about a grand. Its canadian funds so I guess it would be more than american.
    woooooooooo