Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    ♥ ς╥33
    Reputation: longcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    488

    Are there BMXes with derrailleur hangers?

    Just wanted to know if there are any bmx bikes with derrailleur hangers?
    Also what differs in hubspacing / headset dia / bb dia etc on a bmx compared to a regular non extreme mountainbike??
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the_godfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    913
    i dont know any BMX's but there are a few 24's that can have a derarailleur
    110mm is the standard hub spacing on BMX. 90% of mtbs use 135mm spacing
    headsets on bmx's vary. most use 1 1/8th diameter but the design varies between internal headsets and press fit headsets. most mtbs use press fit. most decent quality bmx use internal.
    BB's is where there is a lot of variation. MTB's use a euro type threaded BB. few BMX's use these as the bearings in it are fairly small. although there are a few like the eastern reaper. depeartment store BMX usually have american BB this is big and heavy and out of date. much more common is the mid and spanish BB. these are essentially the same system in which they are pressed into the BB not threaded like the Euro BB. these two systems only vary in size
    i ride my bi*ch hard

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: literocola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    Just wanted to know if there are any bmx bikes with derrailleur hangers?
    Also what differs in hubspacing / headset dia / bb dia etc on a bmx compared to a regular non extreme mountainbike??
    LOL.

    Spacing on a BMX is 116mm spacing

    MTN. is 135mm spacing.

    I haven't seen a BMX with a der. hanger, ever. But, I dont follow bmx at all.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hand/of/Midas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,681
    Theres been a few racing pros who have experimenteed with it,but nothing ever permanent.
    Racing are so short and such an all out sprint you dont really have time to use them, and are just a hassle with no benefit.
    i believe NBL allows it and ABA doesnt, if i remember correctly.

    For jumping this would be the worst thing ever.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    779
    back in the mid ninties there were a few BMX racers trying out three speed derailures on what I believe were one off frames

  6. #6
    ♥ ς╥33
    Reputation: longcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    488
    So if you want a BMX its one speed only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

  7. #7
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Pretty much.
    Most of us have one speed only on our hardtail mountain bikes too....

  8. #8
    i call it a kaiser blade
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Pretty much.
    Most of us have one speed only on our hardtail mountain bikes too....
    yep.

  9. #9
    ♥ ς╥33
    Reputation: longcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    488
    I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    Theres been a few racing pros who have experimenteed with it,but nothing ever permanent.
    Racing are so short and such an all out sprint you dont really have time to use them, and are just a hassle with no benefit.
    i believe NBL allows it and ABA doesnt, if i remember correctly.

    For jumping this would be the worst thing ever.
    acually i believe NBL does not allow it, at least my old local NBL track didnt. i was allowed o race my SS TOP but my friend who rides a P3 w/ gears was not allowed to race. but as you stated there really is no point at all to having gears unless you want a bad head ache

  11. #11
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Gears are for wussies and guys that like fiddling with derailleurs all the time. All I ever did to mine was break them, so I took them off.

  12. #12
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    bmx is meant for a specific purpose. not having a derailleur is that purpose.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  13. #13
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,516
    I was more conservative when I had gears because I was always afraid of trashing the derailleur or hanger.

  14. #14
    BH1
    BH1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    180
    You can race BMX with gears. You just need to have 3-gears or less. Same goes for a MTBike. You can race that in the cruiser class so long as it has no more than 3 gears. I see guys racing MTBs with 3 speeds now and then at the track.

    Lopes has a 3-spd BMX setup which was custom, but I'm sure you could find some sort of adaptor to make it work.
    Actually, now that i think of it... Lopes raced the last ABA Grands a few months ago with a 3 speed setup and a 4" disc brake on a custom 20" frame.

  15. #15
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,971
    make your own saint-style setup.
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  16. #16
    Ahahaha
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    480


  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11
    How about this?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    427
    Needs more travel and pegs.
    CAMBr West
    Gives us a couple bucks and we'll give you some trails with sweet jumps and stuff.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: weaverwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by BH1
    You can race BMX with gears. You just need to have 3-gears or less. Same goes for a MTBike. You can race that in the cruiser class so long as it has no more than 3 gears. I see guys racing MTBs with 3 speeds now and then at the track.

    Lopes has a 3-spd BMX setup which was custom, but I'm sure you could find some sort of adaptor to make it work.
    wrong... and wrong...

    show me where in the rule book that it says 3 gears or less...


    and lopes's GT 20 had 9 gears... vertical dropouts, mtbike type setup basically... he's had that thing forever... i saw him race that setup back in the 90's...

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: weaverwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by the_godfather
    i dont know any BMX's but there are a few 24's that can have a derarailleur
    110mm is the standard hub spacing on BMX. 90% of mtbs use 135mm spacing
    headsets on bmx's vary. most use 1 1/8th diameter but the design varies between internal headsets and press fit headsets. most mtbs use press fit. most decent quality bmx use internal.
    BB's is where there is a lot of variation. MTB's use a euro type threaded BB. few BMX's use these as the bearings in it are fairly small. although there are a few like the eastern reaper. depeartment store BMX usually have american BB this is big and heavy and out of date. much more common is the mid and spanish BB. these are essentially the same system in which they are pressed into the BB not threaded like the Euro BB. these two systems only vary in size

    so much wrong info in here... SOME bmx bikes have internal headsets... a lot of high end race frames do NOT.

    MOST bmx race frames use EURO bb's just like mountainbikes... most of the top AA's run shimano DXR cranks which are basically saints with better chain line on a bmx setup.




    SO MUCH bad information yall are spitting out in the thread...

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: weaverwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    For jumping this would be the worst thing ever.

    Why? plenty of DH, 4x, DJ etc bikes with gears and der...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: weaverwins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Windowlicker



    Chris Powell's setup. very cool.

  23. #23
    wait...what?
    Reputation: CaliforniaNicco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    bmx is meant for a specific purpose. not having a derailleur is that purpose.
    +1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •