mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Are there any Urban/Park/Dj Bike schools are camps aimed at new riders?

My Urban/Park/Dj Bike is almost ready to ride and I'm really looking forward to learning this new way of riding. I've been a cross country racer for years, but frankly, I think my bike handling skills suck. My endurance is great, but thats about it.

So, rather than just screwing around and trying to learn how to do various things on my own, I was wondering if there were any schools or camps that you can go to that teach the right way to ride in methodical way?

mtbr remember
    I was wondering if there were any schools or camps that you can go to that teach the right way to ride
    yeah, it's called "hit the streets, pop a wheelie, do a powerskid, get hurt, get back up and keep riding..." learn from there.
    seriously though, you can get a shovel and build yourself a pump track (no street related at all but...) and flow it, learn from trial and error, in both building and riding it... great way to interact and learn from your environment. Those things take a Lot of endruance to keep doing laps too, and that's what you say you've got, so may as well use it. it can teach you rhythm, timing, and flow.
    as for organized agencies that run camps that you pay for attendance, I have absolutely no clue....

oh, let me add... try to hook up with some people who are already really good at riding, and just tag along, observe and try, and pick up some tips. best of all free, or if not, buy a round of brews. haha, but through my experience, it seems all the crazy riders are usually groms, so that would be contributing to minors.... well, they dig it anyway....
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 09-16-2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Where do you live? I just returned from Calgary and they have clinics at Canada Olympic Park. www.canadaolympicpark.ca That place was sick! Look for any bike parks in your area and ask them. Just go to a park or some DJ's and ask around. Most of the older, more mature riders are usually pretty friendly and will help you out.

It really is just trial and error. Ride with other folks who can do what you want to learn and learn from them. Search the web for clubs or groups of like minded folks and hook up with them. Buy videos and watch the riders closely. Just remember that it takes time. You have to just sack up and do it. The first launch off a big lip is always the most scary. Ask anyone and they'll tell you the same thing. You're scared to death the first time and when you land it, you'll be thinking DUH! That was easy! Why did I wait so long to try that? Be prepared to crash. It's all part of the process. Start small and wear your helmet.

I just remembered that Brian Lopes has an instructional video out. He is the master. Search the web and I'm sure you'll find it. I think I saw a link for it at www.leelikesbikes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Woodward West offers a camp starting this year. Website doesn't say much about it though.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL