mtbr member
    Apr 2007

is there any racers in cruiser class here

hey ive been riding my kona alot lately and i love it and all but i think i wanna try racing bmx. im looking for someone to point me in the right direction to start. i was thinking of building up a standard 125rc to race on but i have know idea on what good components there are for racing. im 6'3" 200 lbs and dropping more for wrestling if it helps
    Last edited by Formerbmx37; 02-11-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    Bikes are better then women, at least you get to ride them when ever you want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Race the Kona. You will have more fun racing it than a cruiser. If you get real serious then build you a cruiser. I Have been racing for many years and love racing my jump bike. I raced a STP a couple of years ago and loved it. I race a Eastern 24" night train now. You can be competitive on a 26" if you want to. The main thing is have fun. Jim

mtbr member
    i race my blackmarket mob. (30-14 gear, 80mm travel Manitou Gold Label fork).

it helps to add extra air pressure to your fork, or run a fork with stiff springs.

@wishEMT
    mountainbikes are all i see in cruiser class nowadays here, i was competitive last year on my 30lb sanchez against cruisers

mtbr member
    +1 on racing the mtbike in cruiser

took a 4th and a 6th at guthrie nationals on this thing after a 7 year layoff

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    only think about racing my kona is all the changes id have to do to it
    id have to get new handlebars because i dont wanna cut my weezies which would mean getting a new stem because im running a demolition f-1 right now.
    then id have to get a larger sprocket for the cranks and a new wheel because im runningthe halo hub with an 11t driver and i dont wanna be peddling hard in a race and have my chain snap because in running such small gears. and im sure theres some other things on my bike i wouldnt want to race with. i wouldnt be opposed to building up another 26 for racing, maybe a black market? possibly use the contraband rigid? any oppinions on that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    only think about racing my kona is all the changes id have to do to it
    id have to get new handlebars because i dont wanna cut my weezies which would mean getting a new stem because im running a demolition f-1 right now.
    then id have to get a larger sprocket for the cranks and a new wheel because im runningthe halo hub with an 11t driver and i dont wanna be peddling hard in a race and have my chain snap because in running such small gears. and im sure theres some other things on my bike i wouldnt want to race with. i wouldnt be opposed to building up another 26 for racing, maybe a black market? possibly use the contraband rigid? any oppinions on that?
    1. why do you need to change your handlebars?

2. youre not going to break your chain... im guessing you dont have AA power and those guys are fine with small gears, big gears, whatever...

youre overthinking all this. just frickin ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    haha i do overthink
    handlebars cant be wider than 28" i thought
    no i dont think i have AA power but i have snapped chains before on my shonky i dont know if it would make a difference that im using half link but im on my third
    Last edited by Formerbmx37; 02-13-2009 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    30 inches max

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    oh well thats good
    still not sure on what ill do gonna have to think about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I went to the track with my KHS DJ 100 and the good thing was since I was rather unique there were alot of people who helped me out. Hope you go soon either way. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    i just found out some kid named blake carney goes to my school whos supposed to be like amazing at bmx and mtb. he does like clinics at freedom park maybe i could talk to him about racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

wait...what?
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins
    +1 on racing the mtbike in cruiser

took a 4th and a 6th at guthrie nationals on this thing after a 7 year layoff

I like your "use the backdoor" sign

mtbr member
    I have been racing BMX for the last 10 years on both cruiser 24" and 26" as well as 20"
    I can tell you that you will be more competitive on a BMX specific bike Than a mtb or a hard tail DJ bike. We get a lot of mtb and DJ bikes at our local bmx track Here in Truckee, Ca. I am a pretty good BMX rider and I can beat all but a few Really good mountain bikers on a bmx bike. Any bike with suspension really suck's up so much energy on a bmx track.
    BMX is all about sprint speed.
    That being said it's all about riding and having fun. We welcome all bike's at our track and we have a great time riding against each other and swapping bike's and having a go on other types of bike's.
    There are many set up's both BMX/ MTB/ DJ that will work for bmx. PM me for any info that might help.
    Cheers
    Have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images