mtbr member
    May 2007

Swapping a Trek 4300 frame for a riot frame

I will be swapping my Trek frame for a riot frame. The riot frame will have all the parts from the Trek 4300 Disc.
    I am worried that my headset and my BB wont fit in to the riot frame.

The headset that the Trek has is ( Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed ).
    I Googled the headset but got nothing on it. Does anyone know if it will go for the riot frame that uses an Integrated headset?

Also a Riot frame requires a Euro BB, but on the Trek website they don't give you what kind of BB they use.
    Does anyone know what kind of BB a Trek 4300 uses?
    Is there any way the BB can be converted if it doesn't fit?

Thats about it for now. Thanks

Bikes Rule
    The Trek does not have an integrated headset, so you will need a new one.

It does use a euro MTB BB so you may be able to swap it over depending on the BB spindle length on the Trek.

Why are you putting XC parts on a Riot? Are you keeping gears or going single speed? If going gears, do you have a horizontal dropout derailler hanger?

Get rid of the rear quick release. You will not keep the wheel straight...It will be constantly shifting around and going crooked..
    Last edited by Demo-9; 04-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.

h-town hucker
    just get a set or profiles or eastern or deity crank/bb combo...and ss your riot.
    AZONIC

Meh.
    Seatpost won't fit. Headset won't fit.

Cranks... depends on shell width and spindle length - as mentioned. The threading is the same.

Would get rid of the QR, you can swap in a solid bolt-on axle.

I would ditch the gears and just go singlespeed.

It's going to ride funky with that long stem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    WOW... never thought of all that. I will be going single speed, but wanted to go with gears until i got some money
    (never thought i would need horizontal dropout derailler hanger, didn't even know their was a difference).
    Also what is a rear quick release?

SandyP1 those are bmx BB's your listing right?...I will be changing my BB if the one i have doesn't fit.
    Also does it matter what length spindle i get when i will be changing my BB?

Bikes Rule
    Ok here is some more. You can search the items to get more info:

1. You will need a 45/45 style integrated headset.

2. You will need a threaded axle conversion set-up for the rear hub. Or a new rear wheel. you will not be able to keep your quick release rear hub straight in the frame. Never mind going single-speed. A quick release rear wheel does not have enough clamping force to keep the wheel straight.

3. If going geared you will need a rear derailler hanger dropout. BlkMrkt sells them on their website.

4. Cranks - There is a lot of choices. Most likely your cranks won't fit. Either the BB shell is different or the profile of the cranks won't fit well and the large chainring will most likely hit the rear chainstay. Go with new cranks. (Not to spam but I have a set of cranks for sale in my signature).

5. new post as Will mentioned. BlkMrkt uses a 27.2mm post.

6. The stem will suck. Way too long. Get a shorter one like 50mm or 65mm max.

Just for curiosity, whay are you swapping total XC parts onto a DJ/park specific frame?? Most of the parts won't work, some can't work, and all of them pretty much will not fit the geometry/feel of the bike overall.

I would have recommended a more versatile frame to match the parts such as a Giant STP, Santa Cruz Chameleon or even a Specialized p-series.

Meh.
    Actually, a quality QR can hold the rear wheel in horizontal dropouts just fine... but they get pretty pricey. A new bolt-on axle is like 5-10 bucks. Figure another 20 for a hub overhaul/rebuild.

The Riot frame does not have a derailleur hanger, that's why you need the horizontal adapter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Just for curiosity, why are you swapping total XC parts onto a DJ/park specific frame?? Most of the parts won't work, some can't work, and all of them pretty much will not fit the geometry/feel of the bike overall.

I would have recommended a more versatile frame to match the parts such as a Giant STP, Santa Cruz Chameleon or even a Specialized p-series.
    The reason I am going with the Riot is because I am buying a used one for 250$ (it's in great shape). Also I will be changing the parts soon, so it doesn't matter that much. I just wanted to know what should I be changing to get me started (turns out more than I expected).

Meh.
    Sell the Trek and just start from scratch. It'll save you money in the long run.

Bikes Rule
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Sell the Trek and just start from scratch. It'll save you money in the long run.
    Not a bad idea. I see your point in replacing parts as you go. It is just going to be tough to swap over parts that may not fit. Then you have to sell the frame and parts you don't want. May be easier to sell the entire bike.

You will spend more retro fitting then replacing as opposed to outright new stuff. But then you can't ride until you get all of the parts.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    Not a bad idea. I see your point in replacing parts as you go. It is just going to be tough to swap over parts that may not fit. Then you have to sell the frame and parts you don't want. May be easier to sell the entire bike.

You will spend more retro fitting then replacing as opposed to outright new stuff. But then you can't ride until you get all of the parts.
    I guess i could sell the bike, but the most I can get out of it is 250, 300 tops. But then I will have to start from beginning (new fork, new wheels and that's already around 300 $...unless I'm wrong about the prices )...also there is a chance i might not sell the bike ...who knows

Meh.
    Okay, so swap all the parts over, break it after a month, and you have to shell out 300 dollars anyways and you got nothing out of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    this is just a bad idea - dangerous fork and wheels with horrible brakes on a good frame.

just sell the trek and buy a whole jump bike. if you only have $500 or so to spend, check out the forums and buy a whole used jump/street bike.

Bikes Rule
    Well the way I see it you have at least 3 paths moving forward:

1. Keep and ride the Trek as is and slowly build up the Riot with comparable parts as you can. That way you can still ride and spend what you can along the way. Then when the Riot is done, sell the Trek.

2. Swap over the parts that you can, which are not really good, and spend up front cash to get it working. Then you have to sell the parts you don't want or need. You will have a mish-mash of a bike that will not ride well, risk hurting yourself on the parts that are not optimal, and spend a lot more than you probably have or want to. The bike will not ride well or look right.

3. Purchase an entire used bike in the price range you can afford.

There may be other options but these are what come to mind.

It sounds like you already have or just purchased the Riot? If so then you may not want another complete bike - which is understandable. But in the end if you dismantle the Trek you will spend way more to use the parts.

The parts from the Trek simply do not go well with that frame. Even if you got new cranks/bb you still have wheels, a fork and other parts that are meant for XC mounted on a park/Dj frame. Your taking parts from a $530 bike and putting on a $400 frame.

Production bikes such as the Trek are easier to sell as a complete. I don't see people placing wanted ads for SR Suntour cranks and cheap RST forks. If you break it up you will have a tough time selling everything.

But hey it is your choice.