mtbr member

suspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)

I didn't race in the early 90's but I recall there being a debate in magazines about use of suspension forks in BMX racing. Kind of like the debate about clipping in.

Anyone ever own a pair of Answer ProForx... ? I am guessing they probably sucked by today's fork standards.....

I wonder how much travel they had and axle-to-crown height. These were designed to go on a regular 20" bmx or 24" bmx, non-suspension corrected frame....

mtbr member
    On a 20":

To "Air" Is Human
    We would weld them so that they were a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    Priceless.... I imagine given the fact they were meant to be used on non-suspension corrected frames... People probably found it harder to enjoy the feel they provided...

BH1
    mtbr member
    I had a set of ProForx back in 92 or 93. It was a total gimmick idea, but people bought into it. I did. There was about 1.5" of bouncy travel via a rubber elastomer and a sponge type thing that held oil. A primitive design for sure. All the pros that were paid to use these forks replaced the elastomer for something that would lock the fork out. Ah, the good ol' days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    We would weld them so that they were a rigid fork.

Haha... I had some buddies that were sooo into the look of those forks but could never get the elastomer stiff enough. One of them went to an Answer sponsored pro and asked to take a spin on his Proforx equipped rig. Sure enough on the pro's rig 0mm of travel, period. Meanwhile, my friend's bike couldn't make it down the start hill without bobbing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    yeah I remember that stuff, what about the guys that tried the three speed deraillure, anyone remember that shiz?
    Last edited by crazy Jim; 11-15-2008 at 05:42 PM.

To "Air" Is Human
    I remember the 3 spds. How about the Christini 2wd BMX's or the Brooklyn Machine Works Full Suspension BMX's?

mtbr member
    I believe this is the bmw

edit: here's the link at least http://www.bikeaddict.com/bikes/imag...lynparktmx.jpg
    Last edited by HANKg; 11-18-2008 at 05:12 PM.
    Waitin on the weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i (briefly) worked for Answer in the early 90s... the pro's bikes had PVC rather than elastomers, for 0 suspension. those things sucked. really, the first mountain bike suspension forks weren't any better.

To "Air" Is Human
    It's on Superco's website.

REALLY?
    Thats interesting looking...oh yeah, those forks, they sucked, I had them, me and my riding buddys where forever breaking them jumping.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Just Wondering

I've always been wondering, WHERE DO YOU BUY THESE?????

I have ridin my friend's, and it wasnt that bad, and I like the smoothness of dirt jumping with these. SOME ONE TELL ME PLEASE. This will perfectly suit my backyard pumptrack. WHERE DO YOU BUY THEM??????? Thankyou, and please respond!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    It's on Superco's website.

That thing is a frigging tank!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    suspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)-robinson-24-boss-24-together-take-2-001.jpgsuspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)-robinson-24-boss-24-together-take-2-005.jpgsuspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)-1987-boss-24-free-l-s-robinson-004.jpgsuspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)-1987-boss-24-free-l-s-robinson-005.jpgsuspension in BMX racing -- Answer ProForx (mid-school)-1987-boss-24-free-l-s-robinson-007.jpgWell so far i have 5 sets of the 24 inch cruiser and they work perfect.On 20 inch there not ment for you guys that can't land worth crap.I rode back in the 80's where we had thine wall tubing and we made are stuff last.Are single wall rims.Yes today's junks have a little more peeks to them but most of us did not have a landing spot it was flat ground.The answer profork for the cruisers works perfect for us older guys at the age of 42.Trust me your arms and wrist are not the same as you are in your 20's or 30's you hit a hard ass pot hole you will pry to have shock forks.Steve Veltman Loved his proforks these 24 inch cruisers i put 5-18 miles on street riding or trail riding there build for confert and look *****en in public the red wheels are no9w only on my 1989 Robinson and the boss is the black wheels the Hubs are Campy Sheriff Stars