i suck at riding
    May 2006

Strongest Chain for 1x9 setup urban/trials?

hey i am in the market for a new chain, i built up the jackflash for some urban/light duty trials (hopefully will go into nore trials) . My chain is old, so it has to be replaced soon.

any chains stronger than others?

driveline:
    sram cassette 9spd
    shim xt rderailleur
    truvativ 32t crankset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psyber_0ptix
    hey i am in the market for a new chain, i built up the jackflash for some urban/light duty trials (hopefully will go into nore trials) . My chain is old, so it has to be replaced soon.

any chains stronger than others?

driveline:
    sram cassette 9spd
    shim xt rderailleur
    truvativ 32t crankset
    Shimano Dura Ace 9-spd chain .... YES use the press in pin
    This is hands down the best chain on the market ! Stronger than any other chain I have ridden . The one on my current bike has been riding strong since last July4th !
    I dont lube my chain and ride the piss out of it at the skatepark and on street ... one chain has lasted for over a year .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    road bike chain? i never would have thought.

i just fear chain snaps when i try to do anythign on my rear wheel.

would it not be asdvised to use the sram qucklink shindig for easier chain assembly? every time i used a pin/chain breaker i would have a stiff link

mtbr member
    I like Sram Chains over Shimano. I personalyy havent broken one, but my bikeshop told me that they have broken way more shimanos than srams. also, srams have powerlink, which is great

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    road bike chain?
    The 9spd Dura Ace chain is the XTR chain.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I like Sram Chains over Shimano. I personalyy havent broken one, but my bikeshop told me that they have broken way more shimanos than srams. also, srams have powerlink, which is great
    My own use has shown me otherwise. I've heard folks say "my lbs says SRAM chains don't break as often" but I don't get it. I haven't had a powerlink last me more than 2 weeks, less when I tried them on my trials bike. Shimano only for me forever.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Meh.
    Wipperman Connex 1x9 SS chain with the Wipperman link.

Just Ride
    i ran dura ace for along time (two years or so) and broke it...twice...then one day i ended up with a sram and figured i'd jsut give it a shot id always heard good things and what not. so i rode it for a few weeks and broke it once(not at powerlink), in my haste i just threw another power link and kept riding, broke it again, not at power link, broke it a third time! threw the piece of sh!t in the trash. dura ace 9spd (exactly the same as an XTR) witha sram 9spd powerlink. they say they're not compatible cause of the .02 orwhatever differnce but they are, and you should useone. they're amazing. i've never broken one or seen one broken in my shop. with the shimano chains they come with a really nasty sticky carcinogenic(sp?) grease/oil on them to keep them from oxidizing and to act as a first lube that will last a while which is why brad can get away with never oiling his chain. i personly dont like this stuff, it collects too much ****. so i degrease the shimano chains immedietly for any bike ic are about and put on either rock and roll (red if you dont mind re applying every other ride, or yellow if you dont wanna put it on as often. red feels so smooth though i love it.) or prolink chian lube, both work phenonminaly(sp?)

dont bother with like connex and those expensive ones, they break just as often adn are fvckin expensive. breaking chains is part of riding. if yoru puttini in some miles and throwin down some torque, you will break your chain at some point. if you replace yoru chains often you obviously will be less likely to, but you gott abuy a new 36 dollar chain every few weeks. btw new chains also help keep cassettes alive, they dont wear as fast. ok thats all i got

oh brad, i gotta remember to send you a pic of my dorm room, you'll be so proud haha

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    cool, i will get the xtr chain and an extra set of quick links.

thanks folks, it was kinda difficult to search for chains as everything chainguide related came up, or chain slack, or chain suck etc etc

u guys rock, thanks for incorperating personal experience in your posts, its valued.

mtbr member
    My old SuperV used to eat sram chains like nothing. Shimano chains lasted a few months.

local trails rider
    I had a cheaper Shimano chain (LX?) and replaced it after a few months with a "Dura Ace / XTR" chain. The cheaper chain was pretty severely stretched. Now, almost a year later, I put in another "Dura Ace / XTR" chain and noticed that there was very little stretch.

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    how does one encounter and diagnose chain stretching?

local trails rider
    Tool manufacturers, like Park Tool, sell gauges to measure chain stretch. I just compared the new and the old chain spread out on a newspaper.

I guess you could also check how long a piece of chain should be (like 10 or 20 links) and then measure it again after a month or too of hard riding.

Chains stretch. A stretched chain tries to eat away your chainrings and cogs. Putting in a new chain can keep your cogs OK for longer. Some roadies, at least, rotate two or three chains to keep cog wear to a minimum. When the cogs are bad enough, you'll notice it.

Just Ride
    you can use a ruler and mesure it, t should be exactly 12 icnhes from pin ot pin

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    i ran dura ace for along time (two years or so) and broke it...twice...then one day i ended up with a sram and figured i'd jsut give it a shot id always heard good things and what not. so i rode it for a few weeks and broke it once(not at powerlink), in my haste i just threw another power link and kept riding, broke it again, not at power link, broke it a third time! threw the piece of sh!t in the trash. dura ace 9spd (exactly the same as an XTR) witha sram 9spd powerlink. they say they're not compatible cause of the .02 orwhatever differnce but they are, and you should useone. they're amazing. i've never broken one or seen one broken in my shop. with the shimano chains they come with a really nasty sticky carcinogenic(sp?) grease/oil on them to keep them from oxidizing and to act as a first lube that will last a while which is why brad can get away with never oiling his chain. i personly dont like this stuff, it collects too much ****. so i degrease the shimano chains immedietly for any bike ic are about and put on either rock and roll (red if you dont mind re applying every other ride, or yellow if you dont wanna put it on as often. red feels so smooth though i love it.) or prolink chian lube, both work phenonminaly(sp?)

dont bother with like connex and those expensive ones, they break just as often adn are fvckin expensive. breaking chains is part of riding. if yoru puttini in some miles and throwin down some torque, you will break your chain at some point. if you replace yoru chains often you obviously will be less likely to, but you gott abuy a new 36 dollar chain every few weeks. btw new chains also help keep cassettes alive, they dont wear as fast. ok thats all i got

oh brad, i gotta remember to send you a pic of my dorm room, you'll be so proud haha
    I've had the best luck with my Wippermans. Most breakages are from people presing the old pins back in, you can't do that. Plus I got mine for free.

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    free seems to be the best value. even if it does break eventually lol

are the quick links really that strong to not have to worry?

Just Ride

are the quick links really that strong to not have to worry?
    yes

plain and simple