Thread: stp vs. p.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

stp vs. p.1

Iv'e done a lot of searching on the forums and have decided between the Giant STP and the Specialized P.1 The bike will be used as an all around dj/urban bikes. which one would you go for?

Catholic MTBR
    Mar 2005
    I personally own a 2004 STP and it has been amazing. I beat it to death and never take care of it and guess what?! It performs wonderfully day in and day out. It's now the bike I lend to friends who would like to go riding but don't have bikes (mainly 'cause I find myself riding XC far more than any urban). One time I popped a tire right before going off a 3 1/2 foot drop to a flat cement sidewalk and cringed when I heard the metallic bang as the rear wheel hit. I was really mad that I just ruined the rim until I checked to see just how bad it was and it was almost completely true. Good bike.
    Main Ride: Vassago Jabberwocky w/ODIS rigid fork. Rigid, SS, 29er.
    "Be not afraid." -Pope John Paul II

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeCatholic
    I personally own a 2004 STP and it has been amazing. I beat it to death and never take care of it and guess what?! It performs wonderfully day in and day out. It's now the bike I lend to friends who would like to go riding but don't have bikes (mainly 'cause I find myself riding XC far more than any urban). One time I popped a tire right before going off a 3 1/2 foot drop to a flat cement sidewalk and cringed when I heard the metallic bang as the rear wheel hit. I was really mad that I just ruined the rim until I checked to see just how bad it was and it was almost completely true. Good bike.
    damn. that sounds good. anybody know the weight difference's?

Pro Crastinator
    the p bike is just too short, you will easily buzz you your feet while doing x-ups and barspins. with the STP you will have plenty of clearance even with the regular (which is what i have) i've even had my STP over twice as long as any of my friends (at least 5 in the past year) who had bought a p series on deals, every one of them already ovalized the headtubes and bent various frame tubes rather easily. the STP is easily more abuser friendly than the p bike...

Catholic MTBR
    Mar 2005
    The main thing I would say about the STP is that the frame is an awesome platform to do pretty much whatever you want with. I've never heard of someone's STP frame dying on them, with the exception of the old STP 3 frames which weren't the same.
    Main Ride: Vassago Jabberwocky w/ODIS rigid fork. Rigid, SS, 29er.
    "Be not afraid." -Pope John Paul II

resident dumbass
    is this the stp single speed? I'm assuming so. They're pretty much spec'd roughly the same, avid BB5's being not so different in performance from MX-2's. I like the Giant a hell of a lot better on looks and if doesn't have cheaper specialized parts for the hubs and better tires. What the major difference boils down to is the brake set up, which is slightly better on the P.1 (better levers).

Try and test ride both. I can vouch that the specialized will do you justice, but how much I cannot (I've ridden the aluminum version and the old steel version, and each is lacking a bit, so a steel one w/ the aluminum geo . . . see what I'm getting at). I cannot vouch for the STP.

BTW, I'm betting XSL_WiLL will say I'm talking out of my ass.
    Last edited by dirtyharry; 11-28-2006 at 02:22 PM.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

h-town hucker
    i have an 04' P.1 and it rules!! .

dirt rules
    I saw 3 broken STP frames in the space of a week. Two of them were mine. They all cracked between the head and down tubes. I got a brand new one for free (warranty) and I still love it.
    If you gave me a choice between the two, I would go STP every time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have an 05 stp 2 and my brother has an 06 p1. They both are great bikes. The major differences I have found other than setup are that the stp is lighter and the p1 has horizontal, both of these are preference some people like steel others like want a lighter bike and the drop puts having the vertical is easier for discs but the horizonal is better for single speed. I would try them both and see which one rides better for you.
    Last edited by MTNDG; 11-28-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    The strength of the fork is REALLY important for both DJ and street. If price is a major factor (which means you'll be riding the stock fork for a while) then I would decide based on the fork.

My '04 P.2 Long has a 22.5TT and does not overlap my size 10 1/2 feet. I like the geometry for jumping with a 80mm Manipoo Gold Label, which is a great fork for the money.