Thread: Stem Question

mtbr member

Stem Question

Hey, Im in the process of doin a bunch of upgrades/changes to my bike, as some of you mite know. (like 24" wheels soon) I was always under the impressin that for street and dj, shorter stem was better. Im running a 35mm (i think, anyways, really short) diabolous stem rite now. but when i was looking at atomlab GI stems, they have a 42mm and 55mm. they describe the 55mm as "big, solid, and street ready" while they describe the 42mm as "a scaled down race version" i went and looked at alot of bmx stems and sure enough, they are mostly in the 50mm-55mm range. Is the longer 55mm reach what i should be getting?

I post too much.
    It's more about personal preference than anything else. If you'd like to be a bit more stretched out and have a bit less direct steering, go for it.

mtbr remember
    yeah, exactly like snaky said, preference,
    and to alter the feel of the top-tube and shift weight distribution a bit...
    most bmx (besides flatland which is like 0-35mm) are around 40-52 that I've seen.
    So, I keep it around that for street/dj bikes (and dh/fr), around 40-50. The longer it is, the harder I find x-ups and b-spin attempts, and I would imagine turndowns might be awkward too possibly...
    35 is pretty danm short. probably about as short as it can get before hitting your bar to the steerer tube or having to place it above it.
    I think you are just confusing yourself reading the descriptions...

so, have you narrowed it down to a few stems to select from? which bar dia. are you gonna run? I'd stick with 25.4 or even 22.2 to pick up a nice bmx stem like the premium C-clamp or povah or something...
    I also hear NemPro is hitting with a stem very soon! probably just a limited run at first, but I'm just guessing...
    and the black market underboss looks very smooth, as well as the Dangerboy stuff, I love mine... If you want another short one, look at the Tank, cnc'ed beauty.
    Schralp it Heavy.

www.ntxbmx.com
    Jun 2005
    I think it also has alot to do with your specific body, I've found I like shorter stems, because it can help to shorten the overall bike lengh. BTW I'm running th premium C-clamp on my FBM Autopilot. Its super light, and looks cool. but annoying to setup. It doen't look like it would be, but once you install it you'll understand.

If your short I would go for something less than 50mm, but this is coming from someone under 5'8".
    www.ntxbmx.com North Texas BMX

mtbr member
    the setup i'll be running is a 22.2 atomlab GI bar. just tryin to figure out the stem. might go with the GI stem or a Shadow Attack or animal jump off