Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

New question here. Stem/Handlebar setup fro dirt/urban

hi guys,
    i just bought myself a 2005 specialized p.2 and the stock stem/handlebar kinda suck. what would be a good setup to buy mainly for dj/street?

Meh.
    Something cromoly. Atomlab or Gack.

Do you just not like the rise/sweep of the currents bars?

I post too much.
    I use a hussefelt stem(40mm 31.8mm clamp size) With Titec El Norte bars cut down to 25''.

mtbr remember
    I run a Demolition F1 stem (w/ hollow chromo bolts) / Atomlab Jesme bars cut to 24.5" (might swap to GI Dirt for shorter rise though...) I also looked at the Coalition or Animal stems as well...

If you want aluminum, go Dangerboy, I really dig their stuff, or SIC, or blkmrkt...

but then again, why not just ride your current stuff until it bunks out on you... ?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I run a Demolition F1 stem (w/ hollow chromo bolts) / Atomlab Jesme bars cut to 24.5" (might swap to GI Dirt for shorter rise though...) I also looked at the Coalition or Animal stems as well...

If you want aluminum, go Dangerboy, I really dig their stuff, or SIC, or blkmrkt...

but then again, why not just ride your current stuff until it bunks out on you... ?
    What do you think of Deity stuff? I was thinking about their bar and stem to eventually replace my Truvativ stuff.

Meh.
    Common misconception is that they're cookie cutter. Ordered from a Taiwanese catalog. They aren't. I just got my Deity bars, and I'm super happy with them. For hardcore street use, I'd still go cromoly though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yea, I think chromoly is probably the best way to go for bars and stems. Anybody know who makes chromoly stems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    can you please explain how does the sizing go for bars and stems?

Meh.
    Stems: length and rise.

Handlebars: width, rise, backsweep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Stems: length and rise.

Handlebars: width, rise, backsweep.

i was actually asking about the numbers, like 50mm, or 31.8mm, that's the part which confuses me.
    thanks a lot for your time,

Meh.
    50mm is the reach or the length of the stem. 31.8 is the clamp diameter. 28.6, 25.4 and 22.2mm are other common sizes.

no big deal
    31.8 would be the clamp size for your stem, 31.8 is "over sized" and the most common for dirt jump bars. 50mm would be a stem size, it's the length of the stem. For dirt jump urban stuff I like to be close in, like a 50mm stem. For xc type stuff you'd want longer for climbing purposes.

I personally am a fan of the Deity stuff. I run it on all of my bikes and I can guarantee you it's tough as hell. I over shot a jump on my DH bike a few months ago, landed off the trail and smacked a tree. Deity bars were the first thing that took the impact, I was doing about 30-35 probably when I hit the tree. Soon as the bars hit it shot me forward off the seat, knee slammed into the tree shot the ball of my femur out the back of my pelvis breaking my hip socket into 2 pieces....deity bars aren't bent or anything, they don't even have a scratch on them! I had a nice 8 day stay in the hospital and have buns of steel now though!
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr member
    thanks ska, that solidifies my position of never buying a DH bike

I'm Rick James...b1tch!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by skahtrisoxide
    31.8 would be the clamp size for your stem, 31.8 is "over sized" and the most common for dirt jump bars. 50mm would be a stem size, it's the length of the stem. For dirt jump urban stuff I like to be close in, like a 50mm stem. For xc type stuff you'd want longer for climbing purposes.

I personally am a fan of the Deity stuff. I run it on all of my bikes and I can guarantee you it's tough as hell. I over shot a jump on my DH bike a few months ago, landed off the trail and smacked a tree. Deity bars were the first thing that took the impact, I was doing about 30-35 probably when I hit the tree. Soon as the bars hit it shot me forward off the seat, knee slammed into the tree shot the ball of my femur out the back of my pelvis breaking my hip socket into 2 pieces....deity bars aren't bent or anything, they don't even have a scratch on them! I had a nice 8 day stay in the hospital and have buns of steel now though!
    31.8 is not the common size for dirt jumping. You'll see a lot of 22.2 steel bars, and a number of 25.4 aluminum bars to save weight.

Stem length or reach, not size. Size can refer to a number of other things.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    thanks ska, that solidifies my position of never buying a DH bike
    hahahahaha

mtbr member
    I run 31.8 Diabolous stem with Hussefelt bars cut to 24". But, in the future I will want to get some cromo stuff for street. I dont like how aluminum flares out towards the centre. Since I like short bars, the flare gets in the way when I want to move my levers in further.
    Cro-mo stuff is good to have for street, just because you know it will bend first before breaking, unlike aluminum.

Just Ride
    SIC, expensive, but fvckin hot.

oh and diety is ****, if you wnat my reasons do a search i dont feel like getting in to it again right now....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    SIC, expensive, but fvckin hot.

oh and diety is ****, if you wnat my reasons do a search i dont feel like getting in to it again right now....
    I just did a search and found a few posts where you were slamming Deity. In one thread they responded to you, and then you apologized for passing on second hand info you had heard from someone else.

WHy all the hate for Deity man? Did they do you wrong or something? Geesh. Relax.

Just Ride
    ha you actually searched. now i dont need to go on my rants at ala nymore i'll just say search for that haha.

i'm just a SIC man. i remember that therad where the deity guy responded, and i applogized and what not, but i still have my doubts about them. i can either trust thte people that i know well and have good trusting relationships with or i can trust some possibly random person that created a user name the day of that arguement, never having posted before i started that. i have no idea who they are and if they arent just someone who created a new username just to shut me down. and they did adimitantly. but i'm still not a fan, and i'm still convinced they order their sh!t out of a catalog. which is what bugs me cause they still claim to do all this engineering and blah blahb alh whatever. ride it if you want, i dont care, i'll stick with SIC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zerossix
    ha you actually searched. now i dont need to go on my rants at ala nymore i'll just say search for that haha.

i'm just a SIC man. i remember that therad where the deity guy responded, and i applogized and what not, but i still have my doubts about them. i can either trust thte people that i know well and have good trusting relationships with or i can trust some possibly random person that created a user name the day of that arguement, never having posted before i started that. i have no idea who they are and if they arent just someone who created a new username just to shut me down. and they did adimitantly. but i'm still not a fan, and i'm still convinced they order their sh!t out of a catalog. which is what bugs me cause they still claim to do all this engineering and blah blahb alh whatever. ride it if you want, i dont care, i'll stick with SIC.
    What is SIC? Do they have a website?

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by ajoc_prez
    What is SIC? Do they have a website?
    super innovative concepts. I think its sicusadotcom. site is old, but most of their products have not changed. Their classic stem is MUCH nicer than their LL in my opinion. but classic is only for 25.4. the LL looks almost like it's cast or something, not cnc machined, I could easily be wrong though. I had a classic in 1.5" but swapped it out for a Dangerboy when I got a 1.125 steerer. Also have the LL bar on my fr bike too.
    Schralp it Heavy.

resident dumbass
    I run an Azonic bar with a Funn stem, haven't run into any problems. Since my handlebar doesn't "flare out" (in the words of cummings) towards the center hardly at all (1/8 inch thicker than where the grips go on) Im guessing it's Cr-Mo.

That and the fact I've never seen a pink chrome aluminum bar.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

Meh.
    If it's 22.2, it's chromo. If it's 25.4 or 31.8 it's usually aluminum.

I like Deity.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    will i be able to install this stem on my p.2 (dirt jam pro)?
    S&M Redneck XLT

Just Ride
    yeah but you'll need to run a 22.2 handle bar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast