Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: and SS we go!

nOOb now rOOkie

and SS we go!

got my stuff and shiiiizzzaaaaaaaammmmm!

got new bars too, got them for $25 so i figured it was a good deal until i "invest" in some better ones.
    Cut and gripped...

i know a lot of people will think my bars are to narrow but im 6'2 230 and came up from a 20" so its natural

also how tight is too tight? for my chain?

Premium Member
    Lookin' good! You want your chain as to where there's a little slack at the loosest point of the pedal stroke and enough tension as to where at the tightest point there's no slack, but also as to where your chain doesn't provide pedal resistance. (That probably made no sense but oh well).

mtbr member
    Single Speed???? With vertical dropouts????? And no tensioner???? LUCKY!!!!! (in Napolean Dynamite voice).

SS is the way to go brotha, as for your chain, i've heard peple say a tight chain will get looser with time, dunnno bout that but whatever. I admire your bars, I run mine nice and short too. Mine are 24". What are yours? Anyways, decent lookin bike. have fun.

mtbr remember
    yeah, I'm sure you dig the SS now, so quiet, simple , and no bouncing components...
    similar to what cummings said... of course the chain should be fairly tight on a new set-up, but as the teeth and chainlinks mesh more, and work/wear themselves together, it will get looser and have more play, not to mention there will be chain growth/stretch. so, your magic ratio might not work forever, and you might have to look into a half-link or chain tensioner to take up the built slack.
    nice score on the protapers though, they are extremely nice aluminum bars. I run my street bars short as well, I'm at 24.5", just a bit wider than my bmx'ers were.
    Schralp it Heavy.

nOOb now rOOkie
    ya my chain is pretty snug right now. i can squeez it togther and get a 1/4 inch out of top and bottom, if you get what im sayin. but ya im goin to go ride peace out fellas

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    nice!...... but what happened to the yellow shadow conspriacy seat?

resident dumbass
    Those are Oury Lock on grips, right? Very nice grips. I got a pair on my used setup, but I changed them out because they felt all tacky and weird. The nice thing about them is you can easily take them on and off at home, and the grips I have now (specialized enduros) I have to go the bike shop to get them put on easily (they use compressed air to sort of 'blow them up' and have more space to push the bar into) and I'll probably have to cut them off or something to get them off at home. Enduro grips feel awesome, though.

Nice setup! I need to get the derailler taken off of mine. It's set up singlespeed, though. It's a nice derailler, and I don't want it getting hurt (Shimano LX) for when I convert my current ride to a multi-purpose comuter/DJ/urban bike and get my custom frame built by nemesis and set up singlespeed.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    ....and get my custom frame built by nemesis and set up singlespeed.
    You're getting a custom frame from Nemesis?!?

rock hard or hardrock
    im thinking of going SS but i will do some trail riding so i am kind of stuck (i want to go SS because i broke a der. and 2 mounts in about a week so that sucked) so some help would be nice...as for how muck trail riding. about 5%-10% will be trail riding and the other 90%-95% will be DJ/urban so someone please help me...i dont know it doing both will be an option because i dont think i could afford to do 2 rims and a dre. and all thet stuff so what do i do (i do have another bike but i took it off a 1 foor jump and broke the der. mount so that might not be good for the trails)
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    im thinking of going SS but i will do some trail riding so i am kind of stuck (i want to go SS because i broke a dre. and 2 mounts in about a week so that sucked) so some help would be nice...as for how muck trail riding. about 5%-10% will be trail riding and the other 90%-95% will be DJ/urban

well, SS for say, street for example, and some dj sections, use quite a different ratio than say, trail or xc SS gearing. so, that could possibly suck for you depending on a few factors... I run a pretty tall 28:12 on my 24" street rig, but I would never take it trail riding. I guess this also depends on the elevation changes and technical features in the "trails" you ride. most people start from a 2:1 ratio, but that is pretty general, and for 26'ers.... also, I'm not sure what bike you ride, but geometries between a trail bike and a street/dj bike are fairly different, especially as things have been getting more and more specialized in the industry lately....
    Schralp it Heavy.

nOOb now rOOkie
    that is the shadow seat.. just got re-covered cause i hate yellow

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    o i liked the yellow

nOOb now rOOkie
    hah im sorry you should go buy one

rock hard or hardrock
    o well i am not going to run SS on the trail that is the thing (i have to do the climbs) but the think i am worried about is having to swich the parts on and off....but when i am riding around my house i dont want to worry about having to walk me and my bike home because of broken mech.'s. so thats why i kind of want to run SS as for the bike i am running right now...i dont have one yet so i was thinking of buying an already equiped SS bike like the cannondale chase 4 or the giant STP or others if i can find them so i dont really know what to do
    www.transitionbikes.com

mtbr member
    sweet, but the yellow seat was sick, and by the way your mtbr name will always be str8noob...no matter how good you get...nice choice!

mtbr member
    sweet, but the yellow seat was sick, and by the way your mtbr name will always be str8noob...no matter how good you get...nice choice!

resident dumbass
    I'm getting a custom frame built by somebody, and that nemsis guy, brad, offered to do it first. I've gotta make some money first, though. It's that crazy low seat tubed thing on the 'let's make a frame' topics.
    I'm out of things to say . . .

mtbr member
    I'm getting a custom frame built by somebody, and that nemsis guy, brad, offered to do it first. I've gotta make some money first, though. It's that crazy low seat tubed thing on the 'let's make a frame' topics.
    Good for you. I imagine that is going to be fairly expensive though???

mtbr member
    ummm, you are deffinatly 13, yet i cant talk but in canada here its too young to get a job...how are you gonna scrape up enough scrill at your age.

rock hard or hardrock
    could you use a BMX hub for SS???if so can someone tell me where i can get a 26"rim(just the outter part not the whole thing) and spokes online
    www.transitionbikes.com

nOOb now rOOkie
    i use this site http://www.universalcycles.com/ cheap and fast shipping (to me in cali) and just out of the state so no sales tax "woop" but go under rims and spokes you can pick out what you want

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by derfernerf
    could you use a BMX hub for SS???if so can someone tell me where i can get a 26"rim(just the outter part not the whole thing) and spokes online

essentially, No, you cannot use a bmx hub just to swap an mtb to SS. It has different 110mm spacing, verses typical mtb spacing which is 135mm, about an inch of difference in width. But, if the bmx hub has a super long axle, you could possibly use spacers, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend going that route for a few reasons, spacers = play/weakness, and your chainline would probably be horrible. There are a few limited mtb based frames on the market now that are designed specifically for 110mm rear bmx hubs, like the Molly, Deathmobile, Fallguy, Geekhouse, Agent flow, etc... but I'm assuming you don't have one of those.
    also, you can't run disc on bmx hubs.
    Schralp it Heavy.

rock hard or hardrock
    well i would like to run SS around my house because like i said i dont want to walk me and my bike home because of broken mech.'s but i would like gears to be able to put on if i go MTN riding on trails because i have to climb the hill....so i am kind of at a stand still. help would be great
    www.transitionbikes.com

rock hard or hardrock
    so where can i get a 26" SS rim (complete) as cheap as possible?...does the place that str8n00by0 have them?
    www.transitionbikes.com

nOOb now rOOkie
    ya you can buy complete wheel sets. you can even build them if you want

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast