mtbr member
    Feb 2009

SS conversion kits

I just got a 08 steelhead pro xl withazonic outlaws and i want to run it SS. I was wondering what the best singlespeed conversion kit is?? i was also wondering what are the best cranks to run SS. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    how is the outlaw wheel set?? I was thinking of getting them.

I don't know about the rims but I am running the gusset single speed kit witha a forte chain tensioner, but I want to get the Yess full suspension tensioner. it keeps tension on the chain in two places instead of just one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    how is the outlaw wheel set?? I was thinking of getting them.

I don't know about the rims but I am running the gusset single speed kit with a forte chain tensioner, but I want to get the Yess full suspension tensioner, it keeps tension on the chain in two places instead of just one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i havent ridden them yet but im getting them tom and will let you know how they go in a couple of days
    what kind of crank are yourunning

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm using a truvativ hussefelt but i'm looking into getting a 3pc crank since I read they are better to use with my type of riding.

Yeah let me know about those rims I am looking for a wheelset or I may hand build a set.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    If you like external bottom brackets the Race Face Evolve DH is really nice. Plus the '08s are still around new and very cheap. I think I paid $130 for mine on Jenson.

The cranks come with ramped/pinned 9spd chain ring, so for SS, you'll want to get a SS ring. I use the Blackspire DH 36t. It's good, and around $30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slevin2313
    I just got a 08 steelhead pro xl withazonic outlaws and i want to run it SS. I was wondering what the best singlespeed conversion kit is?? i was also wondering what are the best cranks to run SS. Thanks
    I chose Deity Vendetta cranks and bb. Lots of adjustment capability to dial the chain line. I hear Profile are pretty good as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was sot of looking for a crank on a budget...im looking for under 130 bucks if i can find a decent one.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Hell yea dude:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nksets+08.aspx

$130 bucks. I bought these a few weeks ago. So great for the price.

fear this
    I was donated a set of Raceface Ride DH cranks with the external BB and bolted on 36/16T cogs on a frame with horizontal dropouts and was done. I've taken some pretty big drops to flat with the setup and haven't had any problems yet. I used a DMR SS conversion kit to mount the rear cog...
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was sot of looking for a crank on a budget...im looking for under 130 bucks if i can find a decent one.
    For me I have to spend money, due to my size and weight. When I put myself on a budget and buy something, I end up breaking whatever it is and then having to end up buying the good stuff. TO make a long story short, IMO if the crank on the bike isn't broken right now then keep it on there for a bit longer untill you save up the rest of the money for that really good crank. The only real thing you need to go SS is a chian tensioner. My trials bike was SS and I had a XC cassett on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i was def looking at the Raceface DH...i just want something bombproof...also would any of you know what size bb i would need for on 08 steelhead xl

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    ...i just want something bombproof...
    If I was you I would save your money up for a bit longer and invest in a nice profile 3pc crank. Thats what I'm going to end up doing. I know im looking for the strongest stuff I can get and everyone seems to suggest 3pc for me, but i'm a big guy also.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    The '08 Steelhead is a 68mm bb, so any Race Face x-type 68/73mm will work.

fear this
    Lots of options here. I would just pick a pricepoint and decide on whether used components are an option and go from there. You also need to decide whether you want an external BB or not. I used to run a Truvativ GXP BB and cranks and had no problems whatsoever with them over a period of 2 years of jumping concrete - and they are very pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic
    ...I used to run a Truvativ GXP BB and cranks and had no problems whatsoever with them over a period of 2 years of jumping concrete - and they are very pricepoint.
    See IMO the life span of parts has many other factors that play in there. Such as weight, how smooth the rider is, and the amount of time riden during the 2 years. You have to pay attention to the life long saying "You get what you pay for." Stick to that and you will end up with something good.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker1986
    I'm using a truvativ hussefelt but i'm looking into getting a 3pc crank since I read they are better to use with my type of riding.

Yeah let me know about those rims I am looking for a wheelset or I may hand build a set.
    Use the hussefelt till they break, no need to replace a good part for the heck of it.

You can always build your own kit with cassette spacers and a BMX chain, no need for a tensionner with horizontal dropouts.

fear this
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtbiker1986
    See IMO the life span of parts has many other factors that play in there. Such as weight, how smooth the rider is, and the amount of time riden during the 2 years. You have to pay attention to the life long saying "You get what you pay for." Stick to that and you will end up with something good.
    Good point. I rode the rig with GXP gear in it everyday, 365, as a commuter to work and then play and jumps after work and on weekends. I also rode it in rain and snow. Those GXPs, although I don't run them anymore (bike thieves got the cranks and BB), they were a great setup. Also, I have only recently started becoming a smooth rider and still have a long way to go before I can even compare myself to my bros. I'm 180 lbs and with gear I guess it's more like 200 lbs.

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Sorry off topic, you're a Jeep dude Mesozoic?

I bleed Jeeps, man I've had four of them. I'd like to do a CJ8 build next.

fear this
    Quote Originally Posted by Yo!
    Sorry off topic, you're a Jeep dude Mesozoic?

I bleed Jeeps, man I've had four of them. I'd like to do a CJ8 build next.
    Classic Bronco man, myself. I do like Jeeps, though... I just like poking fingers at my Jeep brethren with that avatar.
    Norco Fluid LT
    Devinci Ollie, some goodies to lighten 'er up

Yo!
    mtbr member
    Broncos are so sick man.

What year?

When I was in HS I knew a dude that restored a 69 Bronco; he dropped in a 351W and a 4 spd top loader. I was so jealous of that truck....I went out and built an 84 Blazer a year or two later. That thing was disgusting..I built it up for mud, so I dropped in a 454 and an SM456 4 spd, and some GM Corporate 12bolts and a NP205 case, so it was bombproof. To this day it's the only car I've ever built that actually made me a profit when I sold it. Ironic.

I built up an 01 XJ, the last year for the Cherokees, and put on a Rubicon Express long arm kit. Man I spent like $15K on that car, sold it a year later with 38K miles for $9K. I got bent over. But I had to get out of the note...

Motorsports are way too expensive of a hobby. I'm so glad I got back into cycling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I did the same thing with my 01' prelude. I even had it in car shows, and then sold everything lol.... Biggest waste of money ever.

fear this
    I just keep my ol' Bronco around because it's a very capable rig. It's often used for roadtrips involving multiple mountain bikes and ski trips. It's been in the family for 30 years. It's seen only one engine rebuild, both axles have all been rebuilt, and it just got new paint a few months ago. It's a very reliable truck.