Thread: SS Conversion

mtbr member

SS Conversion

so basically im planning on converting my identiti Dr. Jekyll to SS hopefully ASAP. i only use one of my 8 rings in back no matter what....DJ, 4X, DS whatever...always. i don't have the cash to spend to make the bike into a true SS machine so i want to just get a reasonable SS conversion kit like this http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/134...ersion-Kit.htm

any feedback on kits of this sort? do they work well? i know i would have to get the correct size cog to keep the gear ratio i like. my frame has sliding vertical dropouts...so you can run geared or SS or 24/26 easily. thanks for any info

Meh.
    I like to start around 2:1 and play with the ratio from there.

I usually say to screw the conversion kits. Just go to your LBS and ask for a bunch of cassette spacers. They offer a lot more adjustability. You can make much smaller adjustments to your chainline.

Your Identiti is pretty much perfect for the SS conversion since it has the sliding disc mounts too.

I would suggest a half-link chain, but it's not absolutely neccesary. I would definitely recommend a SS specific chain and rear cog though. I mean, for the time being, you could get away with using cogs off of your cassette, but it's not really a permanent solution.

nrdbomber

work

i was gonna order one of those online, but then my go to lbs had a bunch of spacers that slip on over the cassette body (i'm running an atom lab hub). i suppose the spacers may give you more adjustability to get your chainline right, but then again, i think you can flip-flop the thingamajiggie you're lookin at to finesse chainline too.

sorry, i don't think this helps, unless you go with spacers instead of the conversion kit.

XSL_WiLL beat me to the punch
    We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

mtbr member
    thanks both you guys...i think im going to try out the spacers like will said and get a SS cog and chain, possibly half link. sounds like the best idea

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i was lookin at that kit too, to bad i have vertical dos and id have to run a tensioner, but im thinkin ill get that next time something in my drivetrain breaks

Meh.
    If you have vertical drops, wait till a chain stretches, then find the magic ratio. I've seen a couple done up real nice with perfect chain tension. If you need a tensioner, don't get a spring loaded one. Get a fixed one like the DMR or Rennen.

The SS kit does have the spacers that can flip flop, but still, they don't offer nearly as much adjustability. You only have two options with the kit.

When you have the cash, I would strongly suggest a FUNN SS hub. My buddy at work just got one. It's super sick sounding and the quality is outstanding. He's been beating on it for about a month now. Looking good.

The half-link chain will also allow you to really dial in the wheel position as well.

I post too much.
    I use the DMR single speed kit and it works flawlessly.

dirt rules
    I had to make my own spacers to get a 12T on my casette. Every spacer and kit I have ever seen is way too thick, and the chain rides on them.