Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Specilized P.2

mtbr member

Specilized P.2

I was wondering what I should do to my 06 P.2 when I get it on christmas. What parts I should change or keep? P lease post pictures of your rigs and what you did to them.

#1 Ho
    Hey I recently got the same bike and I have since changed a few things:

- replaced the fork with a zocchi z1
    - converted it to single speed
    - because of the new fork I put a 20mm thru axle up front

I'm ordering some avid mechs sometime in the next few weeks and Im also looking for some different pedals

All in all the bike comes home solid from the shop, these are just a few things that I wanted to do to it. I will post some pics when I get home.

YOUR GONNA LOVE THIS BIKE
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I'm ordering some avid mechs sometime in the next few weeks
    MPauB1386 you said you are replacing the brakes with avid mechs but the solos are hydralic which usual makes them better right and I was thinking about putting 50/50s white and black on there what do you think.

#1 Ho
    I also thought that hydros = better but the more I ride the more I find out that its not neccesarly true. The mech's are going to be easier to adjust and to route through the headset for tricks that involve spinning the handle bars. I prefer the hydros for xc but Im leaning toward mech for urban/dj now.

Im also looking at the 50/50s. It is kind of a toss up between those and the specialized lo-mags (which I think look badass).

I also thought that I would hate single speed, but it really helps out with weight and simplicity. Also not as noisey back there without the chain slapping the frame. If you do keep it geared I would recommend getting some kind of guard back there, it really helps to quiten things down and it saves the frame.
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

Too Kool for Skool
    Hayes soles are the worst brakes ive ever ridden. They broke on me multiple times, they overheat alot and they are the same as mechs only with fluid (only one piston that moves instead of 2 like most hydros)
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

I post too much.
    Hayes sole mare the crappiest hydraulic disk brake on the market, you'll be much better off with BB7's. 5050's have nothing to them but colours, there are much grippier pedals out there.

mtbr member
    Hayes soles are the worst brakes ive ever ridden. They broke on me multiple times, they overheat alot
    I was wondering theg1ant what you mean when you said they broke multiple times and how are you over heating them.

Portland, OR

Dont change anything

if it works, and is new...why change it ? your first upgrade will probably be a fork, but seriously. if its not broken, dont change it. my P.2 is almost stock, ecept a stance static custom TPC+ fork, and I changed the front rim (to a rhyno light because the ditch witch was a little heavy) and of course the shiny thompson elite seatpost. this bike is has been through an extremly rough 3 seasons of abuse, stock parts have held up totally fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Premium Member
    Hayes Soles are horrible, just get BB7s. The Avids work great.

5050s are also awful. NO grip at all. I was shocked when I rode them (and my shins were too). Tioga MX Pros are the best flats for the money out there. Light, sealed, grippy, for $60.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    if it works, and is new...why change it ? your first upgrade will probably be a fork, but seriously. if its not broken, dont change it. my P.2 is almost stock, ecept a stance static custom TPC+ fork, and I changed the front rim (to a rhyno light because the ditch witch was a little heavy) and of course the shiny thompson elite seatpost. this bike is has been through an extremly rough 3 seasons of abuse, stock parts have held up totally fine.
    You do know ditch witches and rhyno lites are the exact same rim right?

Retread soul rider
    Dec 2005
    ride it for a while, then you'll probably want to take about a 1/2" off each side if the bars... do the eeyes closed grab to see where your hands naturally go...

My P.2 is mostly stock but I changed to 9-speed with a Gold Label fork and bmx seat and avid mechs and a cool-looking bmx seat and haro BMX grips... ok, maybe it's not mostly stock anymore but the cranks, pedals, handlebars, stem and seatpost are good til they wear out.

mtbr member
    I definitely recommend single speed. Other than that, some of the older manitou sherman forks can be picked up for a great price. the only other thing I would think of changing are the tires (and maybe the wheelset some day).

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by rush340
    I definitely recommend single speed. Other than that, some of the older manitou sherman forks can be picked up for a great price. the only other thing I would think of changing are the tires (and maybe the wheelset some day).

thats a very clean looking P. mine is the one pictured above. what SS setup are you running on yours ?

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    You do know ditch witches and rhyno lites are the exact same rim right?
    they arent. the ditch witch is basically a re-named RhynoLite XL and the RhynoLite that I have on there right now is more the AM rim.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

tuck-n-roll master
    if it works, and is new...why change it ?

What he said. Replace the parts once you break them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

rock hard or hardrock
    how much travel is that fork it looks alot bigger than 100mm
    www.transitionbikes.com

"The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step" -Bear Grylls

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    before you even ride that beast, its imparative that you put some really cool stickers on it.

mtbr member
    It's a 2004 Flick with 90/130mm (I went up to firm springs, but I probably could have gone up to x-firm, and I'm only 150lbs.)

Anyways, the single speed kit is the SSK3 made by Wheels Mfg. paired with a blackspire mono veloce chainring.
    They sell it at JensonUSA:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

Those pictures were from right after I installed the kit... The bike is a lot dirtier now :P My rear tire is also almost completely bald now, and I'm not sure what to replace it with, I can't decide on a new tire that I would like to use for urban and trail riding.

mtbr member

'07 p1 cro-mo. i replaced the zoke with a fox talas, which a) lightened the front end, and b) got rid of the annoying top out noise the djIII made. i also swapped chains for a shadow conspiracy 1/2 link chain. this enabled me to remove the derailleur hanger adapter and run the wheel all the way up in the drops...this rear end is tight!! (i'll let you guys run with that one )
    "lift your skinny fists like antennas to heaven"

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rush340
    It's a 2004 Flick with 90/130mm (I went up to firm springs, but I probably could have gone up to x-firm, and I'm only 150lbs.)

Anyways, the single speed kit is the SSK3 made by Wheels Mfg. paired with a blackspire mono veloce chainring.
    They sell it at JensonUSA:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...speed+Kit.aspx

Those pictures were from right after I installed the kit... The bike is a lot dirtier now :P My rear tire is also almost completely bald now, and I'm not sure what to replace it with, I can't decide on a new tire that I would like to use for urban and trail riding.
    Try an arrow launch or a maxxis holy roller.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchs1
    MPauB1386 you said you are replacing the brakes with avid mechs but the solos are hydralic which usual makes them better right and I was thinking about putting 50/50s white and black on there what do you think.
    Cheaply made single piston hydraulics. They're crap. I would take BB7s over Soles or Nines any day. Best mechanicals available.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Try an arrow launch or a maxxis holy roller.
    Also check out DMR Moto Diggers.

i like dirt.
    I would replace those stock pedals soon. After a few weeks mine wore out and they were slicker than a harpooned hippo on a banana tree. I just slapped on some Azonic Fusions that grip real good on my DVS's.

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by InnovateorDie
    I would replace those stock pedals soon. After a few weeks mine wore out and they were slicker than a harpooned hippo on a banana tree. I just slapped on some Azonic Fusions that grip real good on my DVS's.
    you must bash them on stuff. mine grip very well, 3 seasons still going. and ohh yea, what pedals did I use for whistler ? the ones off my P.1, never slipped once. they're actually a lot better than most people give them credit for.

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

Premium Member
    you must bash them on stuff. mine grip very well, 3 seasons still going. and ohh yea, what pedals did I use for whistler ? the ones off my P.1, never slipped once. they're actually a lot better than most people give them credit for.
    Ride some real pedals like Tioga MX Pros and then get back to us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast