mtbr member

Specialized p1 or p2?

I got a 12 hardrock disc 29er in the past couple of months but have found myself riding dirt(I rode dirt/street/park up until I was 16. Im 24 now by the way) more. So ive decided to buy a dj bike because I dont want to beat up my 29er. You guys have any positives or negatives on either model? Does the Shock on the p1 make a difference? is it worth a crap?

Thanks,

hank

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Front fork on the P.2 is not the best out there, but certainly not the worst. A fork for dirt jumping is just supposed to take the edge off hard hits, not to smooth out the trail. They feel funny to somebody used to plush trail or downhill forks.

The only other difference I see after a quick inspection is the brake. P.1 has a very reliable mechanical disk while the P.2 has a hydraulic. I like hydros, but not a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    I think I'd like the front suspension. I might just buy a p1 and buy a seperate fork for it. I cant find any info really on DJ forks though.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sowegahippie87 View Post
    I think I'd like the front suspension. I might just buy a p1 and buy a seperate fork for it. I cant find any info really on DJ forks though.
    Thats not a bad idea. Check on front hub compatability. I think the P.1 has a 3/8 axle. Most aftermarket suspension forks have a 9, 15, or 20mm axle,

like these.
    Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1, 2 or 3
    Rockshox Argyle <---My Favorite
    Manitou Circus
    Fox 831

mtbr member
    thanks for the info, now I've just got to make the decision. I wish one of my LBS would have these bikes in stock but you have to special order them supposedly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i Believe the frame is a little different on the p2

Canuck on this Rock
    The P.1 and P.2 are the same frame, it even has the same geometry with the corrected travel on the rigid fork compared to the P.2.

I own the P.1, cannot say enough how much I love that bike.

mtbr member
    Do you ride alot of dirt? Now I've been reading about the airborne wingman. So its between that and the p1 or p2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sowegahippie87 View Post
    Do you ride alot of dirt? Now I've been reading about the airborne wingman. So its between that and the p1 or p2.

I just reviewed the Wingman and it should be given a look for those in the market. Here were my thoughts as well as those of a ton of people I let ride it. WINGMAN REVIEW
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    I cant decide between the p2, airborne wingman, or this used ns traffic...any pros and cons?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Buy the p2, small angle adjustments from the p1 and the "p" models are persistent. They won't break without huge abuse. Good, solid, reliable dirtjumper