Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Specialized P bike 26 pro

so a little background first. i have been cycling pretty obsessively for the past 18 years. i race cyclocross, road and mtn. I got back into riding(after being a grom) on the MTN bike back in like 1995 and ever since it has progressed into being fitter, stronger, faster. so the more i have gotten into it the more FUN i have lost with it. i still love riding but wanted to approach it from a different perspective so i ordered a 2013 p-bike. my thought was a singlespeed bike that i can re-learn how to wheelie, bunny hop and just have a blast on!!! i figure it will also help my technical side of riding that much more?
    dont know if i will be crazy into gravity but i am really looking forward to blasting some very wimpy airs!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow, your story is EXACTLY the same as mine and I'll be the same as many others. I too got really REALLY into racing and training, racing 'cross, xc mtb, road, and even (gasp!) triathlon. After getting into xc racing, I got bored with what at one time was really difficult and technical, and wanted more of a challenge. I'll spare the long and boring story, but now I primarily ride DH and Enduro. I race every once in a while, but it's more about the fun factor and improving my game.

Just like you, I recently bought a P bike (P26 Am) with the hope of expanding my game even more. I know a lot of the skills will translate to the street/dirtjumps/skateparks, but I'm excited to learn more and be creative with what I ride. You're definitely not crazy man, you're just going through a natural progression as a rider!

Enjoy the bike and ride the hell out of it!

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009

I have you guys beat by about 1.5 years...

Pump track and dirt jumping has had a huge impact on my riding. I boost better while riding enduro, rail some corners every now and then and throw some decent air when at the DJ park consistently.
    And that last word is the key. Consistency.
    you must DJ consistently to progress. Jumps tend to look bigger when you have been away from them for a period of time.
    Find your way to (or build) a pump track. It will produce huge increases in your day to day riding abilities faster than any type of riding you can do.

Great choice I made a year and a half ago.
    Great choice you two just made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclemech1 View Post
    Pump track and dirt jumping has had a huge impact on my riding. I boost better while riding enduro, rail some corners every now and then and throw some decent air when at the DJ park consistently.
    And that last word is the key. Consistency.
    you must DJ consistently to progress. Jumps tend to look bigger when you have been away from them for a period of time.
    Find your way to (or build) a pump track. It will produce huge increases in your day to day riding abilities faster than any type of riding you can do.

Great choice I made a year and a half ago.
    Great choice you two just made.
    So stoked to hear that man! Do you have any advice on what it would take to build a pump track? I've got plenty of untouched woods in my area that I would be able to build on, I just need the know how. I'll check in with my local shop as well and see what those guys are riding. I know there are a few dirt jump areas available, I just need to get there and start practicing. I guess I'm a bit hesitant because it will be almost like starting over. I've got no problems hitting jumps with my DH bike on DH tracks, but this is a whole new ballgame.

So far though I'm having an awesome time on mine and can't wait to get in some good, solid riding. Thanks for the encouragement!

mtbr member
    DUDE I just bought a P26 AM(green) and its sick!! I had a 2012 model but for 2013 they made the top tube shorter(22.25vs22.75) and the chain stays shorter (15.1vs15.something) and it makes a world of difference when doing wheelies (esp for a short guy im 5'6)!! Im loving this bike so far! As far as building a pump track, its as easy as finding two shovels(spade and flat) and a wheel barrow. Just watch some youtube videos and look at pics on the interweb to get some ideas.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cool! Thanks! Yeah, I agree, the P26am wheelies and manuals like a dream! Almost too easy as I found out on my test ride in the parking lot-almost ass planted! Nice to see others enjoying it too!

Thanks for the advice re the pump track. I've got some ideas and I'll have to get cracking with them. I'll do some web searches for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just got back from my first true DJ session with the P26am and the thing rocks! Started out small but hit the bigger jumps the more my confidence grew. Getting the feel of the bike and the feel of the jumps took me a few runs, but once I got it my confidence grew and I was feeling more natural in the air. Can't wait to try it again!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your bike PIKE . What color is yours?

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I got the black one. Thinking about taking off the stickers and going with black grips though to completely murder it out.

Have you had any issues with your front hub? Just noticed after my ride today that it was a bit loose.

mtbr member
    Cool man, yea that will be sick. I kinda wish I went with the black now -_- lmao..
    No hub issues yet dude as I got a new construction job and been working like a horse soo I havent had much chance to beat on it yet. hmmm makes me wonder if ill have the same issue, im pretty hard on my bikes lol. I would give take it to a bike shop and have them take a looksee and then maybe call up specialized. These front hubs are pretty tiny and weak looking so maybe its just wanting an upgrade you know?

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    hahah yeah I thought the same about them being tiny when I first looked at it. I'm used to the big ass hubs on my Deemax and Crossmax SK wheels so these look like road hubs compared to those. They're been pretty sturdy up until today. I've been doing a lot of 180s in the streets and bigger drops when cruising around and this was the first issue I've had. Def will take it to the shop though.

I think the green looks pretty sick though man. I like the contrast between the purple and green-it's totally the bike the Joker would ride!

mtbr member
    Yea my Faith has huge hubs too. I never looked at my bike from that perspective. Now I love it even more and named it the Joker. Thanks lol

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nice! no worries man! I took the wheel into my shop and the mechanic said the hub was just a bit loose and that it probably came from the factory that way. Just a couple turns of the wrench and it has been all good since. I've been doing (attempting anyway) a lot of 180s and 360s on it, so with as small as those hubs are I wouldn't be surprised though if it happened again. At least I know how to fix it though!

Everything else with it though is bomb proof. I swapped out for a longer stem and wider bars though (65mm stem and 750mm bars). I've got long arms and I've found going from the stock 720mm bars has helped with getting leverage when street riding and doing the 180s and 360s. Kinda bummed though because the bars and stem are both silver and take away from the all black theme I had going with the bike after taking the frame decals off. Oh well! Glad you're diggin your bike! I really like the green!

mtbr member
    Awesome! So cool to hear stories like this!

I grew up with BMX in my blood so I naturally gravitated toward the DJ bikes.

What I preach is that BMX (which is essentially what you are doing...only on a 26") can be for everyone! I think people get this idea that you need to be doing back flips and tailwhips in order to ride BMX or hit up the dirt jumps. I disagree........whether you are catching 2" of air or 8 feet........it doesn't matter. As long as you are having fun and enjoying the ride.......go for it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah I'm super stoked on my purchase. I only wish that there were more dirt jumps closer to my house. The closest place I can go and ride is about an hour away. So far it's been mostly street stuff and learning little tricks here or there. I'd much prefer riding on dirt as oppossed to concrete, but I'm still having a blast!

mtbr member
    this bike is so sick. needs nothing except tires. I like riding trails with my pbike so these street tires arent doing the job so well. Im thinking small block 8 front/holy roller rear and some bb7s

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMountainTroll View Post
    this bike is so sick. needs nothing except tires. I like riding trails with my pbike so these street tires arent doing the job so well. Im thinking small block 8 front/holy roller rear and some bb7s
    Agreed! I was thinking holy rollers front and rear, but I think the small block 8 is a good idea up front. Loving mine too, just haven't had as much time to ride as I'd like!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Lol, same story here too. Went to Rays Mtb in Cle. With my stumpy but want to go back with a dj style bike. Saw that you guys went with the Spec. 26am but I'm leaning toward the 26pro. Any differences that you know of?

Tanks, Ron

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Im getting ready to pull the trigger on 26pro. Im coming from bmx so its gonna be a little different. Can anyone tell me if the forks on these bikes are any good? Its a mix up between this bike (26pro) and a norco two50.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey Orange, I ended getting the 26 pro in black and I love it. Took it to Rays in Cleveland and the Custom RockShox Argyle fork held up great in the expert jump sections. I'm 5'11" and 220lbs and it never bottomed. Bike handled great in the pump track too. Perfect park bike for me but if I take it dirt jumping I would probably throw my Fox fork on it. Hope this helped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    im 6'4 204lbs, so i assume the forks will be good. you said that dirt jumping you would change the forks, are you saying the forks are to soft? if so, can you change the springs in them like moto forks? i race motocross so i hope thats not a stupid question. thanks.

i wanna hit up rays in cleveland as well, im down in cincinnati so its like a 3 hour drive for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    No the forks don't feel soft but dirt jumps are bigger than what Rays has and the landings would be harder. I'm an ex motocrosser, just sold my Honda crf450 a few years ago, what and awesome bike. I'm in Buffalo so Rays is 3 hours for me also. Lol, you can bring your forks to Pro Circuit and get heavier springs and valving done. Just kidding.

Pro Crastinator
    there is only one fork on the bike...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Technically two fork legs, lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ok, i figured the forks were one piece. im just new to mtb forks and all. dont really know similar they are to moto forks. so im assuming they are above entry level forks?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast