rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

So...an stp it is

ok...so, yeah..reading all over this forum and talking to various ppl...i've decided to not buy the haro zero i intended on due to it's not easily modded to a geared setup. so, looking around...i kept reading about the Giant STP. Well..all i know about giant is the fact i used to own an iguana...like..in 98-99...so, not to damn much. went to the site, found this http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...sp?model=11490

looks to be all that i want...geared, intended for urban/dj, single front with tensionor, geared rear...perfect.

now..i have to decided between sizes..i'm 5'9"ish and fat. not sure if the fat dictates what size to get...but, i wanted to mention it for all the ladies on the forum, how you doin.

other than size, are there any parts that are normally changed/upgraded/tossed out? are there any parts i should watch for premature wear/breakage that MIGHT have to be changed/upgraded soon?

just wondering...cause i keep seeing ppl mention this bike..but it's usually in the SS model...but i'm a wuss and want some gears.

I post too much.
    You're pretty much good to go as it is. Make sure to have the wheels properly tensionned before you leave the shop if you are fat, they will hold true a lot longer.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    well....that, for one, i was thinking of just getting a set of outlaws of the deore/rhynolites....if the stock wheels don't seem to hold me throwing it off a couple 5' or so jump to flats.

I post too much.
    Proper tension costs less, and properly tensionned, any rim can be pretty tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would get a new shifter and derailleur and make it 1x9 but it's a nice bike.

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Raghavan
    I would get a new shifter and derailleur and make it 1x9 but it's a nice bike.

it's allready an 8 speed...why worry about going to 1x9?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd
    it's allready an 8 speed...why worry about going to 1x9?
    Well, the higher end derailluers are 9 speed...

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    do you really NEED a better derailluer though? is the stock one not suffice for some reason?

i mean, i want to stay budget minded...but, if there's a part that really needs to go...i'll swap it

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    its not the deraillur its the shifter, get an x.7 8 speed shifter and keep the deraillur

stitches from ditches
    Sep 2006
    I've had my STP for a few months now the only thing that I had to replace is the crank arm and bottom bracket and that was due to a few bad landings. My opinion is to just replace things as they break, no use in spending the extra money on parts that work fine.Besides everybody rides differently and most will have a different opinion on just about everything on the bike.
    Also you can check out the review section on STPs.