Thread: so clean

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

so clean

i see tons of pics of minty clean dj bikes posted up. do you guys really wash your bikes and if its a steel frame do you need to treat the inside so it doesn't rust out? btw, i got an 09' P1 and need to clean it up but dont want my frame rusting out

dirt rules
    On the rare occasion I do wash my bike, I spray it VERY LIGHTLY (never directly on the BB or headseat or hubs) with a hose, and then towel it off immediately.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    its so muddy down here and my bike sleeps inside. anybody try this pre-ride stuff to keep your bike pretty clean so i dont have to use the hose?
    http://www.muc-off.com/webpage/bike_...ray_500ml.html

mtbr member
    DO NOT use water/a hose to clean your bike... The best way to clean it is with a rag and a dedicated bikewash. At my LBS (where I work), we've used muc-off, superbikewash, and pedros green fizz? And to be honest, they all worked equally. The nice thing about these washes are that you do not have to worry about where you spray and where you dont. We douse the ENTIRE bike in this stuff before going to work on making them clean. Most of them are also meant to evaporate rather quickly as well, so no worries with BBs, HS's, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    just let it dry then knock the mud of/use a stiff bristle brush.

you can then proceed with a a bikewash or just a wet rag.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    That will leave nice big scratches in some peoples paint..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    That will leave nice big scratches in some peoples paint..
    Oh yea, there's the other option - just don't ride it. It might get scratched. God forbid if you have to bail.

mtbr member
    I ride my bikes... get them muddy, scratch them up, all with a 300+ dollar paintjob... It doesnt mean I want to sit there and INTENTIALLY scratch/mess my bike up...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    I ride my bikes... get them muddy, scratch them up, all with a 300+ dollar paintjob... It doesnt mean I want to sit there and INTENTIALLY scratch/mess my bike up...
    in that case, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. best bet is to make sure you have a nice thick clearcoat on that paint job and a good wax as well. definitely makes the dirt harder to stick, and will protect from scratches when you're cleaning it up.

if you're going to spend that much on paint, treat it just as you would on your automobile.

now, to relate this to something else - hot rodding - people spend big bucks on paint and body work - if they dont want it to scratch, they don't drive it. then you have the people that DO drive it, and DO incur scratches - its inevitable. but in those cases, that distinction between trailer queen and driver is there. a lot of the guys that drive their rides don't mind the scratches, as it proves the car gets driven and doesn't just sit on the trailer.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    WOAH! You can wash bikes? Thats awesome! thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have always washed all my bikes with a little simple green and water. I've never had a single issue come up because of it. I try to get it dried quickly each time, most of the time blowing it off with a compressor and then towel dry. Bikes get rained on and full of mud and dirt all the time. Being smart about washing it, not spraying it directly at a car wash, and drying it promptly will only make your bike pretty and shiny. If you don't want to be scratching up your frame, at least get it wet before you start trying to wipe all the funk off.
    If you are smart about it and spray it from no less than 3-4 feet away from a garden hose and dry it quickly, you will be fine. Believe it or not, I've even used a car wash sprayer (without the high pressure by pulling the trigger) and dried it off by hitting the highway on the way home and have yet to get any rust spots in the bolts or any other complications due to water getting in to where it shouldn't be. Just be smart about it.

mtbr member
    jcaino - I myself would never blow that dough on paint.. I have a machineshop/paintbooth within fifty steps from my bedroom door. I do all my own paintwork shooting PPG and sometimes house of kolors. And the beauty does indeed lay in the clear-coat. As I said, I have not a single problem with normal "ride your bike" scratches... I just see no need to intentionally lower the asthetics of my frame.

jgill - just a heads up on the simplegreen, it is known to be very harsh on plastics/rubber/seals etc.. hence why use on much more than metal can be debatable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've had my xc bike since mid 02 and that is exactly what I have cleaned it with ever since I first got it. I never spray it directly on any pivots/bushings/seals. Also I usually do a 10/1 mix diluting it with water in a small spray bottle. I only wash my bikes maybe 5-7 times a year anyway, mostly due to renting (not trying to mess up my apartment and losing deposits). And that's only if they are full of mud or the disgusting creek goo that's pops up out of nowhere on rides sometimes.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by JGill
    I've had my xc bike since mid 02 and that is exactly what I have cleaned it with ever since I first got it. I never spray it directly on any pivots/bushings/seals. Also I usually do a 10/1 mix diluting it with water in a small spray bottle. I only wash my bikes maybe 5-7 times a year anyway, mostly due to renting (not trying to mess up my apartment and losing deposits). And that's only if they are full of mud or the disgusting creek goo that's pops up out of nowhere on rides sometimes.
    omg...you clean your bike AND your apartment? personally I run through both as quickly and savagely as possible, then duck out of town before anything bad happens.

next thing you'll be saying we need to true our wheels...
    Trestle Bike Park