Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lower it!

6 85.71%
  • Don't!

1 14.29%
    resident dumbass

Should I lower my fork or not?

I'm thinking about maybe reducing my DJ2 from 130 to 110, but with my bruiser's geo, will I really notice a difference?

Tell me if I need to post pics . . .
    I'm out of things to say . . .

I post too much.
    Lower it, it should steepend your head angle by about 1 degree.

resident dumbass
    Is it worth the 100 bucks?

I post too much.
    Why not save it and buy a sexy argyle?

mtbr remember
    wait, $100 just to lower your old DJ? no no, that is not worth it at all.... save your cash for the time to get a new fork.

you also have to realize, that a steep head angle won't necessarily make you a better rider, that is until you have some skills going (not saying you don't). But a slacker head angle can be more forgiving for those learning to master their bike. A steeper head angle will make it quicker, but possibly just a bit more squirrelly for those learning, therefore, it's a good idea to master the bike, before it master's you... whoa, I just used the word master quite a bit.

roughly, for every inch of a2c height, is 1 degree in the HA... to a point.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i ride mine at 110 and i love it
    perfect amount of travel
    if you can do it for cheaper i say go for it
    marz told me they'd charge $30 or so to change a 66 from 150 to 170
    so $100 for 130 to 110 seems a little steep

Meh.
    You can do it for free. You do not have to purchase a slam kit or anything from Marzocchi or Nemesis. A couple spacers in the negative travel assembly, and voila, you have a shorter front end. If you insist on diagrams... do a search. It's really a pretty easy process, you just have to get over the initial intimidation and open up the fork. It can probably do with an oil change anyways, so it'd be a good oppurtunity to kill two birds with one stone.

resident dumbass
    XSL_WiLL, wouldn't that just reduce my travel, not my fork length? Besides, working on the internals of a fork is NOT somewhere I'd trust myself yet. As you may or may not know, I've got atleast 4 1/2 more years before I move out of the house, and my dad would never EVER let me do something like that.

BikeSATORI, I've still got a good amount of stuff to learn, but I've got rudimentary skills and some more than rudimentary skills (can almost 180 my stoppie!) for someone who has only been riding about 4 months (only 2 on my bruiser). I think I could handle the change, and would probably enjoy the increased flickability, which my handlebars have already increased.

Product, it's a fifty dollar slam kit (from marzocchi), a forty dollar rebuild by my LBS, + tax (okay, so it's not 100, but 95 is pretty darn close!).

Snaky69, I'm not getting a new DJ fork for a long while, atleast not a new suspended one (I'm thinking of sticking a hardcore rigid DJ fork on the trials bike I'm saving up to buy, for extra strength).

One other thing: THIS IS NOT MY MONEY. My birthday is coming up, followed by X-mas, and this whole lowering thing would be a gift. I've mentioned it to my folks, but haven't told them I really want it done yet. That's why I'm asking.

destructionismyobjective
    Sorry to hijack the thread but what bruiser do you ride, fs? Im looking at the fs frame and wanted some info lemme know.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry
    XSL_WiLL, wouldn't that just reduce my travel, not my fork length? Besides, working on the internals of a fork is NOT somewhere I'd trust myself yet. As you may or may not know, I've got atleast 4 1/2 more years before I move out of the house, and my dad would never EVER let me do something like that.

BikeSATORI, I've still got a good amount of stuff to learn, but I've got rudimentary skills and some more than rudimentary skills (can almost 180 my stoppie!) for someone who has only been riding about 4 months (only 2 on my bruiser). I think I could handle the change, and would probably enjoy the increased flickability, which my handlebars have already increased.

Product, it's a fifty dollar slam kit (from marzocchi), a forty dollar rebuild by my LBS, + tax (okay, so it's not 100, but 95 is pretty darn close!).

Snaky69, I'm not getting a new DJ fork for a long while, atleast not a new suspended one (I'm thinking of sticking a hardcore rigid DJ fork on the trials bike I'm saving up to buy, for extra strength).

One other thing: THIS IS NOT MY MONEY. My birthday is coming up, followed by X-mas, and this whole lowering thing would be a gift. I've mentioned it to my folks, but haven't told them I really want it done yet. That's why I'm asking.
    Seems a bit expensive even to me, I think my lbs would charge me $50 CANADIAN for the whole thing. They usually don't charge for two things. Let me explain: I will need their help to switch out parts from my norco to my nemesis(they have many tools that I don't) they charge me for that, but they won't charge me for pressing in my chris king headset nor for putting in a new fork, because they are going to be rebuilding the bike anyway.

resident dumbass
    I go to the littler LBS, so I don't have to ride through a major intersection or as far on my bike.
    They usually charge a bit more for stuff. Atleast I'd know I'd be getting the job done well!

HOLY CRAP, NO! I ride the hardtail bruiser! Not only is the fs fugly as hell, but I wouldn't want a dually unless I'm riding down really rough trail or stairs. Sadly enough (for my legs) I'll have to settle for rough trails on a hardtail.
    By rough, I mean large LARGE clumps of BIGASS ROCKS. Of course, that is on the side of the trails for the insane huckers (who willingly drop 20 feet off rickity platforms onto a rocky slope) and the serious BMX jumpers.

destructionismyobjective
    Thanks it was worth asking. And yes I do plan on going insane on it. Dh big drop type stuff. I cant get any response in the dh forum except the bike sux. Im just gonna use the frame cause im getting it cheap.

resident dumbass
    DUDE! The frame will be fine, maybe not the best, but it'll do. By insane, do you mean doing drops where if you fall off you'll be hurt so bad you'll never never want to bike again, but still remain concious?

I'd do some of the platform drops if it was soft dirt below, not rocks.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyharry

No, spacing out the negative travel reduces the fork length as well. The Nemesis slam kits pretty much just use a longer negative travel spring (it's not quite as simple as that). And most internal travel adjust forks require the use of spacers.

Trust me on this, I've done quite a few. Do it for free, ask for something else you'd like. Protective gear is nice if you don't have it. It can really save you some pain.

Didn't you want a squish for some time?

Finding a shock that's abuse worthy that will fit in the Trek will not be an easy task. My take is that the frame is more of an entry level do-most squish rather than a hardcore DH/FR rig.

resident dumbass
    It sounds like you think I have the dually bruiser, not the hardtail. The hardtail is actually pretty darn good geo, somewhere around an 05 P. Bike, but not quite as good.

I'd like to do what you're saying, but my fachist dad won't let me (not all the time. He can be pretty cool). Spend the money and get it right. Pbbbbb Maybe next year. He just bailed me out when I broke my handlebars, so he doesn't feel like allowing me or financing anything being done.

sucks for me . . .

Although, Will, it would be good if you could PM me instructions or tell me what to search on google. Nothing I try works.

Never know: I might be able to persuade him!

resident dumbass
    Whippee! I know a guy who knows a guy who is real good at custom lowering your fork with lacross stick pieces (the same way you'd use spacers), so I think I could get it done really, REALLY cheap, or free, and my dad would never be able to tell the difference!