mtbr member

Semi-newb question...riding backwards

Been trying to get this down and I can ride backwards for quite a while, but it's the turning around that's killing me. Can't seem to get it down and it's driving me nuts. I'm trying on a medium size ramp at the local skatepark...every time I try to start turning the wheel while still going backwards (to arc and start going forward), I just immediately lose balance. Even when I don't, it seems impossible to start pedaling forward with all the backwards momentum I have going.

Anyway, thanks for any tips...

I post too much.
    You need to slightly lift the front wheel, tap the brake and pull in the direction you want to rotate in one smooth motion. Also look at where you're going.

mtbr member
    Honestly I would say to not use your brakes, lift your wheel if that feels comfortable to you. You should be using your chain tension instead of your brakes, right now I'm learning tire taps using the chain the same way.

For turning around I don't lift my tire either, I think it looks more flavorish sliding and whipping the front tire instead of lifting.

mtbr member
    Yeah, tapping the rear brake, and lifting, spinning around is a good way to get started, but there are more stylish ways of hooking the front wheel and then turning it the opposite way to slide into the turn.

I post too much.
    Yeah, but it really depends on speed. Going fast I wouldn't slide the tire, it makes me unstable.

mtbr member
    lol, yea I know what you're saying on the speed thing when turning around. I've flopped pretty hard onto my side when I was rolling fast. Felt like I got body slammed. I think though if I keep trying the comfort will grow allowing me to turn going faster. Since I've started I have been speeding it up, not fast enough to turn doing a 180 over a spine but not too far away.

Bout a week ago I got barspins to fakie but I have to do that kinda slow to pull off the turn around.

Crusty cyclist
    learn 'em brakeless. It takes time, but it's worth it. I had finally gotten them dialed myself when I hurt my back and thus lost them again . Just hang in there

mtbr member
    I ride brakeless, doing freestyle tricks I've taco'd my fingers on brake levers too many times. So I ditched em and haven't had any problems since.

Air Junkie
    This should help

mtbr member
    perfect

I post too much.
    Easier done on a bmx hehe :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudden_Judgement
    This should help
    That was awesome, thanks for posting it!

Thanks to everyone else for the comments - is it easier on a 26" to do the brake-tap, lift, and spin, or the method shown in the video above?