mtbr member

Seat Collar for Black Market Riot

I bought a 30mm Surly Constrictor based on the Blk Mkt build spec for the Riot complete and some of the build advise buried in the forum, but it's too small. Pulled out the calipers (yeah I know I should have done this in the first place) and measured the seat tube and its more like 30.7mm. Tube may be 30mm but after paint, it's definitely not 30mm. Next common collar size is 31.8 and that is definitely too big (I trial fit one off my road bike).

Might be able to pound the 30mm on, but I am not keen on that idea. What has worked well for your Riot builds?

Thx,

To "Air" Is Human
    I use a gusset 30.0, it took off the excess PC when I put it on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Agency
    I use a gusset 30.0, it took off the excess PC when I put it on.
    Lance,

Thanks! I feel a little less guilty about defacing my frame. :-)

How big a hammer did you use, or did you file/sand the PC off?

To "Air" Is Human
    I used a dead blow hammer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can you not just pull the pinch bolt and spread it while you slip it over?

mtbr member
    Just a heads-up in case you run into the same problem...

Actually turned out that the seat tube was flared at the top as well. So while there was maybe 0.3mm of paint, there was ~0.6mm of flare at the top of the seat tube vs lower down. Not sure if that's typical, but it's a fair bit more than I have seen on other bike builds.

Trying to spread a Surly Constrictor 0.9mm is a pretty tough while also try to fit it over the seat tube, but in the end I enlisted the help of a buddy and that's what we did to get it started, then had to bang it down with a rubber mallet. It worked, but I don't think that collar is ever coming off again. Fortunately, any paint damage was limited to the area under the collar.

Problem solved...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

removing PC from seat tube

Can you just use a sandpaper to remove some paint so the seat clamp (30 mm) fits? I just got my Riot and it is awesome. I had the same issue that the 30 mm won't fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

problem solved

I don't have to sand the pc to insert the clamp. I used a spreader tool to open up the seat clamp more and then I slide it down with no issue. Same tool can be used when removing the seat clamp.

mtbr member
    Like I said, it wasn't a pc issue for my frame. 0.9mm is a long way to spread a Surly constrictor, but it worked. Glad you got yours to fit as well. Post up some pics when you finish your build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Salsa 30 mm

I've used a Salsa 30 mm clamp. I'm glad I don't have to hammer the clamp and instead was able to use the spreader on my Moots seatpost. I'll definitely post some pics once I'm done. I was also happy that I can use my 34T chainring on my Deus crankset. I've read on some post that the 34T ring might be too big. I just want to use all the spares I have and not buy new crankset. Anyhow I'm amazed at the build quality of the Riot frame.

This is my first DJ bikes and I will use it mainly to learn some basic techniques like manual and wheelies and of course to be more comfortable with jumps.

By the way since you guys are expert DJ bikers. Do I need to get a DJ specific wheelset for my intention? I'm not planning to do high jumps. I have a WTB laserdisc lite wheelset on my other singlespeed that I'm trying to utilize and a Reba fork. Do you guys think that it should be fine for this type of application? I'm fairly light at 157 lbs.

Thanks for the help.