mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Listen! Routing Brake Cables

Ok, so I have seen multiple videos of people doing bar spins and tail whips and what not on their MTB's. I have also noticed that most of them do not have front brakes. I was figured I to be able to do a bar spin I can just route my front brake cable through my head tube but I have not found a hallow stem bolt, But in most of the videos I don't see most of these people with extended back break cables. How are they arranging their cables so that they don't get in the way.

Meh.
    http://www.danscomp.com/309064.php?cat=PARTS
    http://www.danscomp.com/309015.php?cat=PARTS

Took less than a minute to find...

They have long brake cables.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You don't need a stem bolt. If you want, get a headlock or some long all-thread with a big washer and nut on both ends. Pull the headset down, tighten the stem, and then remove your headlocking device. The starnut/topcap is just for initially setting it. Now your steerer tube is clear to run a cable through.

Atomlab makes a gyro for hydraulic rear brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    WIll: That second link "A threaded ahedset cap" can that be used on my Giant stp.

Sixgun: you lost me there with the bolts and washers. I dont understand what to do from what you were typing. can you please explain or point me in the direction of a site or something that I can read up on this more.

Thanks for the help guys. I know others will prob ask the same question about this sooner or later.

mtbr member
    once you adjust your headset and tighten up your stem you can remove the starnut and top cap. its only there to initially adjust the compression.

yes the freestyle a-headset cap will work
    i ride my bi*ch hard

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yeah, the starnut and top cap are only to set the tightness of the headset. Once you tighten down the stem, you can take them out. If your fork already has a starnut inside the steerer, you can just take the top cap off after you've tightened everything. And then run your cable right through the starnut.

If you don't have a starnut or don't want to press one into the fork, you can get an azonic headlock or similar device. Or you can make one with some all-thread (threaded rod)that's long enough to reach beyond the top of your stem and out the bottom of your steerer. Then, using large washers and a nut on both ends, tighten your headset. Then tighten your stem. Then take all the crap out of the steerer tube and put your brake cable through there.