Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr remember

Roots of all creation

check check it y'all

so, where did our current stuff come from, build upon, grow from?
    some don't believe in evolution, say they ain't no monkey, don't swim like a tadpole or climb no trees.
    Say their Nicolai TSR g-boxx was made directly in the image of the bicycle dog backwards himself, not no inferior little wheel rigid nonsense. well, this all jive people!
    check the scriptures themselves... behold!
    amen, all praise the welder!
    [SIZE="1"]I'm in no way attempting to start a debate on any beliefs here other than those about bicycles themselves, so please keep any others to yourself.[/SIZE]

make way for the elders, I wish to hear them speaketh the truth to us! Let it be told before the thousands of us, well, the 12 of us, here on the urban/dj/park board...
    yeah, these were just a tiny sample of some of the sweetness I've found, in no way represents necessarily the best of the best, but you get the idea...

and, well, if you find no interest in the above subject, at least throw up a comment admitting your jealousy for the mad style expressed above...

I just had to add, yes I realize I forgot to add some sweet photos of the pnw OG mtb crew up here, but this is more related to the roots of dj/street/park riding, which in my opinion came from bmx, but I could have included some cool pictures of ritchey, fisher, and those guys as well... maybe further down the line some day. I think evil4bc is building a bike for a movie those guys are doing or something, I could be wrong, but I read something about it somehwere... like the dogtown and z-boys of mtb maybe...
    Schralp it Heavy.

Meh.
    Ohhhhh mannn. Now that's some funky sh1t. I love it.

I post too much.
    Nice post.

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    I remember some of those ad's in BMX plus when I was a teen

Eddie Fiola was my hero in the 80's and the GT performer was my favorite bike though my parents wouldn't/couldn't afford to buy me one.
    I couldn't find a pair of Vans locally to save my life and the chrome laid-back post raised to the minimum insertion mark with the hard plastic seat proudly poised a foot or better from the frame was the way to roll.

...And what about those really cool goggles and protective mask's!!!!

Local Paperboy Hero
    Word. Have you seen Joe Kid on a Stingray??? It's like dogtown but for BMX. It's a documentary on the history of BMX, starting with the Schwinn Stingray, released in 1963, then into racing, starting about '70, and then into freestyle. I still haven't seen the whole thing... stupid DVD is fycked up!!

And, of course, then there's Rad... only the greatest BMX movie ever made!!! Think about this... Bart Taylor would have kicked Cru Jones' azz all over Hell Track if he would have been on a MTB.

Here's one of my old school favorites. Harry Leary. He basically invented the turndown and lookback. Although, what he does is called a "leary."

Yeah, the GT Performer was rad. Check out this bad boy...

Ever done one of these...

mtbr member

Roots....

Mike Savage, Factory Crit Plate, CT rider, fast as sh!t, sick jumper. Word is this dude still kicks ass on a BMX bike. Very clicked turndown on a 24" bike before a lot of you guys were born (1986).

Me, leary on some jumps in my parents backyard. Hutch was one of the bikes that had decent geometry back then.

Me, can-can x out of a jump pit I built. You can see the berm for my practice track in the background goes from one group of birches to the other. I can't begin to estimate how much dirt that wheelbarrow moved.

Cap't Kirk Crisco, euro table tire grab and timeless style.

Mike Buff, roofdrop to flat w/ a 20" BMX bike. Buff, RL, and Haro were the guys that brought freestylin' to level like racing.

Mad Dog Moeller, bringing riding to the next step around 1987.

Michael Crehan, sooo flipping fast with a ton of power. He would have leads measured in straighaways not bike lengths.

Local Paperboy Hero
    YES. Tell it how it was, Old School. I'm going to bring back that can-can x-up as soon as I get my new frame. Done one of those lately??? What about the leary? Still doin that? You should be!!! That opposite (downside) table tire grab is pimp.
    Last edited by Cru Jones; 11-17-2006 at 01:59 PM.

tuck-n-roll master
    Sweet pics and great idea BikeSATORI. OMG I HATE mag wheels. I'm not even sure why. They just make me angry. Here's a clip from RAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

tuck-n-roll master
    YES. Tell it how it was, Old School. I'm going to bring back that can-can x-up as soon as I get my new frame. Done one of those lately??? What about the leary? Still doin that? You should be!!! That opposite (downside) table tire grab is pimp.
    Cru, the reason for your handle just clicked.
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

Local Paperboy Hero
    ^YEAH!! There I go.^ Some bicycle boogie with aunt Becky. Check out the suits on the Reynolds twins... looks like they are in Star Fleet.

mtbr remember
    defconfour, thanks for posting up, most excellent pics and commentary! never heard the "euro" table, but it's stylee.

The little Rad clip is sweet too.
    some of those tricks almost make me want to run a fixed gear.
    did anyone see the clip posted in the dh/fr forum of the Chinese chick doing the bike ballet stuff? pretty similar. just sit back and relax and do about 3dozen barspins, haha....

and speaking of mag wheels... If I were to run a molly, fallguy, or geekhouse, etc. (bmx spacing), I almost thought about putting a set of sealed skyways on there... but yeah, I know how you feel, I held a hatred for them for quite some time as well... although, I was also obsessed with the Tioga disc drive wheel too back in the early mtb days... they are now going for quite the pretty penny today... too bad.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    nah, I haven't done a can can x, in years. I think the last one was in '96 or 97 on my OG Profile cruiser. I might have to try and relearn them - IIRC they just need commitment.

No on the Leary too - although I would love to relearn turndowns. I try them into foam when I go to the skatepark - which is once every 3 months.

I had a pic of me doing a euro tire grab BITD but can't remember where it is. It definitely wasn't as smooth as Capt Kirk.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Check this out. A 1982 26" BMX bike. What the hell??? Why did it take another 20+ years for this to reappear?

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/panda/15

mtbr remember
    Check this out. A 1982 26" BMX bike. What the hell??? Why did it take another 20+ years for this to reappear?

Nice link Cru,
    here we go, Panda action from a good year:

this chick is hot... some fit style:

and what about this! I knew a kid who might still have one of these actually!

I've actually had the mtb version on my list of bikes to get and build up, but haven't found any in decent condition for a price I could afford. and no, I don't want a new one.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Local Paperboy Hero
    That Sling Shot is crazy... never seen one of those.

Here's one of my favorite seens from Rad. The intro...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5riS3DB6k

Kids, if you haven't seen this movie... please check it out!!! DVDs on Ebay.

mtbr member
    ha, you guys is old

mtbr member
    Here's the real 26" bmx original- the SE Racing OM flyer. OM stands for Old Man Scot Breithaupt- he basically invented bmx racing in the 70s and the best frames of the time. http://www.bmxmuseum.com/bikes/se_racing/115
    Consider too that I worked in a shop and we used to take GT 24" and Race Inc 26" bmx cruisers and spread the rear end to fit in a 6 speed cluster to make MTBs in 1983. We sent them to some friends that lived in a little town called Moab.
    I think somehow a bunch of roadies took over the sport and decided to make bikes that were meant for climbing since they didn't know how to jump or descend. Its taken years to reverse that damage.

mtbr remember
    more rarities, oddities, and eccentricities:

Way early stuff, like this antique version of Cliff Huckstable:

Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Cru Jones]
    And, of course, then there's Rad... only the greatest BMX movie ever made!!! Think about this... Bart Taylor would have kicked Cru Jones' azz all over Hell Track if he would have been on a MTB.[QUOTE=Cru Jones]

Bart Taylor would have won if he hadn't waited up Cru under the bridge.
    "Reynolds is hit! Taylor takes his own man out! Goodnight team strategy."

But seriously, I saw that movie when I was six. Nothings been the same since.

mtbr remember
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayndar
    Consider too that I worked in a shop and we used to take GT 24" and Race Inc 26" bmx cruisers and spread the rear end to fit in a 6 speed cluster to make MTBs in 1983. We sent them to some friends that lived in a little town called Moab.
    I think somehow a bunch of roadies took over the sport and decided to make bikes that were meant for climbing since they didn't know how to jump or descend. Its taken years to reverse that damage.
    Ha! I just read this one, somehow missed it earlier... but man, that is great...
    I like the last two lines... quality! very nice Wayndar.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    BikeSATORI - Some very cool pics there! I remember seeing the Panda PRO-AM ad BITD in the magazines. I also remember the Cook Bros, Champion, and CW Z frames well.

Wayndar - I agree entirely. Rides should be about how many jumps you hit not how many miles! Cool to hear about the GT's and Race Inc's. And the OM Flyer is as cool as a bike can get. Factory SE ruled back then.

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    ha, you guys is old
    If you're lucky, maybe someday you can be an OG. But, you best not fake the funk. Remember that bicycles are meant to fly. And spandex causes funk faking. May the force be with you my young apprentice...

mtbr member

Ha hahahahah
    PANDA bikes ... LOL

Funny story I was at a Thai resturant in Berkely and the guy behind the counter herd us talking about bmx bikes and he piped up ... " I used to own PANDA BMX , my cousin can get you complete bikes from Taiwan for $40 complete lol "

For some "REAL " old school flavor I got the ORIGNAL SKYWAY TA weld sample frame ! and the orignal streetbeat front triangle weld sample
    Along with enough tubes to do 5-6 complete TA frames
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Local Paperboy Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    For some "REAL " old school flavor I got the ORIGNAL SKYWAY TA weld sample frame ! and the orignal streetbeat front triangle weld sample
    Along with enough tubes to do 5-6 complete TA frames
    Well, build up one of those suckuz and post some pics!! It's not like you have anything else to do...

mtbr member
    That Sling Shot is crazy... never seen one of those.

Here's one of my favorite seens from Rad. The intro...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5riS3DB6k

Kids, if you haven't seen this movie... please check it out!!! DVDs on Ebay.

The opening is the best part of the movie ... you can see the custom GT Eddie Fiola rode at pipe line ... it had 24"x 1.5's on it he swore it rode tranny better than a 20"

80's trivia ... Hal Neidleham directed RAd and Cannonball run .. I love the 80's
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast