mtbr member
    Nov 2010

rolling resistance...1st post

This is my first post. I have made a progression of BMX bikes in the past 6 months. I am an older guy trying to relive the glory of my youth I guess. Started with an SE Floval Flyer 24 to race with my 5 y/o. Street was my thing as a kid so picked up a Sunday Model C and installed front brakes and a rotor. I just got an Eastern Night Train from JensonUSA last week...love it. I may be hard pressed to get back on my Model C?

The Night Train rolls like it is riding through pea gravel, when it is on the asphalt. It has a Kenda Small Block 8 2.35 on front an I am assuming this is the cause of the sluggish ride? Tires are pumped pretty hard although I haven't put a gauge on them. What would be a better option for a front tire that would see mostly street but still suitable for dirt? Should I go narrower?

Also, I have no experience with the 20mm through axle. Could it be contributing to the slow ride? If so, what should I do to make it better?

pnj
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Head tube angles will play a big role in how slow a bike reacts. I think the Eastern has a slacker HT, but I could be wrong.

If your'e riding street/cement then don't run knobbys and run more then 65 PSI in them.

I like fatter tires myself.

20mm shouldn't effect the feel, if anything it's going to be stiffer. But the squishy fork WILL effect the feel.

as for specific tires, I can't help....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    pnj-thanks for the response.

The HT angle is a touch milder than my BMX bikes...but still feels pretty snappy. I am okay with that.

With regard to the 20mm through axle, I was wondering if there are any hints as to not over/under tighten the axle into the fork? Lube the axle?

Any DJ use the Intense MK2 tire on the front or a similar tire? The BMX riders use this tire quite a bit on hard pack. Reviews suggest they are good for DJ, park and hard pack??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoka Hey
    This is my first post. I have made a progression of BMX bikes in the past 6 months. I am an older guy trying to relive the glory of my youth I guess. Started with an SE Floval Flyer 24 to race with my 5 y/o. Street was my thing as a kid so picked up a Sunday Model C and installed front brakes and a rotor. I just got an Eastern Night Train from JensonUSA last week...love it. I may be hard pressed to get back on my Model C?

The Night Train rolls like it is riding through pea gravel, when it is on the asphalt. It has a Kenda Small Block 8 2.35 on front an I am assuming this is the cause of the sluggish ride? Tires are pumped pretty hard although I haven't put a gauge on them. What would be a better option for a front tire that would see mostly street but still suitable for dirt? Should I go narrower?

Also, I have no experience with the 20mm through axle. Could it be contributing to the slow ride? If so, what should I do to make it better?
    i suppose big dirt tires could be the issue, but i'm also thinking it may be that you're just not used to a suspension fork on street. if you center your weight back over your cranks instead of leaning on your hands (and front wheel) it will help cranking, and the fork won't be sucking away your crank as bad. plus if it's an air fork, make sure the psi is pumped up appropriately.

meh
    its a spring, argyle 318, you can lock it out if thats a problem
    have the nighttrain too, with the sb8 front npj rear and dont notice anything abnormal
    the 20mm maxle isnt going to be affected dragwise by over tightening
    maybe you have a bad hub, or just arent used to the bike

Old school BMXer
    Although the Small Block 8 tires have pretty good rolling resistance, the Intense MKII is much better/faster. I run them on my 20", 24", and 26" bikes at the track.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks a bunch. Yeah, definitely not used to the bike yet. I am comparing it to riding around my Floval Flyer with Maxxis Holy Rollers...which is much easier rolling.

I think I will try a different front tire to see if that makes it roll better. I'll order the Intense MK2 but in a 2.10 or 2.25?

How do you lock the Argyle 318?

Old school BMXer
    On my 26", I'm running the 2.25 in the front and 2.1 in the rear. It's surprising how much larger the 2.25 is. I'd like to swap it for a 2.1, and have 2.1s in the front and rear.

If I recall correctly the MKII is much lighter than the Holy Roller, which helps them accelerate more quickly (needed for the BMX track).
    May the air be filled with tires!

Tree Crasher
    I think I will try a different front tire to see if that makes it roll better.
    In that case it's the rear tire you'll want to change, if not both.
    CRAP... I'm in the wrong gear

meh
    How do you lock the Argyle 318?
    turn the compression damping knob on top all the way clockwise (or counter clockwise, cant recall)
    the rear tire is an Kenda NPJ (unless changed) which should roll pretty well

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The rear is an NPJ 2.10 don't think that is a problem.

My knob on the Argyle doesn't have any mention of a lock and I have turned it all the way both directions with no lock out. Do you have to use a little more force to get to lock mode?

Sorry for the stupid questions...

meh
    should be a 318, as both the 2010 and 11 have that fork, and it locks out even though it doesnt say so
    should be a very noticeable difference if turned all the way one way or the other

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    it's not going to feel like a rigid fork. It will just be a whole lot stiffer and won't be able to use 90ish% of the travel.
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Okay, good info. I have been riding with the compression knob on it's stiffest setting. I already cratered the upper headset bearing yesterday...wasn't to tight either. Jenson is sending a new headset. Eastern specs it as having an internal headset, but there are no cups. So it is an integrated right? Jenson is sending an internal set so am concerned that the bearing won't work. I did take apart the headset and rebuild the bearing so I can ride it.

Last night installed some Avid Elixir 5s front and rear on it. Amazing how much better they work than the Bengal Helix that came with it. I couldn't use the Avid rotor on the rear because it wouldn't fit. Any rotors that are lighter weight that would work with the stock hub configuration?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I JUST went from Small Block 8 to the Intense MK2. It's not even close for rolling resistance and solid feel. The Intense are a great tire. They are tick heavier than the folding SB8's, but I have a set of Maxxis Maxxlite 310s for race day (there's a killer tire).

I use my Black Market as my BMX race bike, and for trails and Ray's. So far, I like the Intense MK2 for an all purpose tire as much as anything I've had. The Maxxis are amazing on race day, but just aren't durable enough for trails/park riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In my humble opinion the small block eights blow horribly, especially for ramps/street.
    I also run the MicroKnoby 2.25 they roll so nice/fast/smooth on ramps and work alright on dirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just put the MK2 2.10 on the front and it is skinny. Appears quite a bit narrower than the NPJ 2.10 on the rear. No report on the performance yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0