mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rockhopper pro to a p.grom?

Last year I picked up a Specialized Rockhopper Pro. I like the bike but I ride more urban than anything. I have been kicking myself in the ass for not buying a P Series instead. Out of the 300ish miles (I know I barely ride) I have only been in the dirt for about 5 miles. My dad is now looking to buy a bike and said he would give me $550 for the Rockhopper Pro. He has already put about 150 miles on it so I know he likes it. The bike store can get a P.Grom in by Friday for an out the door price of $640.

Some things I would like opinions on are:
    -Is $550 a good price for a good condition 07 Rockhopper Pro?
    -Is $640 a decent OTD price for the P.Grom?
    -Any opinions on the P.Grom?
    -I know that the P.Grom is smaller than the rest of the P.Series, but I have never seen or sat on one. I am assuming it would kinda be a cross between a BMX and a mountain bike. I grew up on mostly BMX bikes and think I would feel comfortable on it but any other thoughts on sized would be insightful. I am 5'11" by the way.

From this,

to this.

I have been thinking about finding a place to post my bike for sale or trade. I guess I will have to take a look at the for sale section.

Bikes Rule
    Considering a Rockhopper Pro was about $1,200 new, I think $550 is on the low side if it is in new-ish consition. More like $700.

I say ask him to purchase the p.grom and then swap even.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I paid around a grand for it out the door. His limit for the bike was $400 but he told me he would do $550. The nice thing about possibly selling it to him is that if I did decide to hit a mountain bike trail I could still take it. The bad is I am broke. I was thinking about possibly trying to find a decent trade. I dunno. It's still up in the air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should I really be looking at the P.2 CR-MO because of my size though? Most of the reading I do says that grom bikes are kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should I really be looking at the P.2 CR-MO because of my size though? Most of the reading I do says that grom bikes are kids bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah, look at the cr-mo it's heaps better...

Bikes Rule
    The p.grom is a 24" version of the p.1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So should I toss the idea of a 24" out? I see some people like them for urban type riding.

I post too much.
    Not necessarily toss the 24'' out, but most worthwile 24'' DJ bikes are only available as frames only and have to be built from the ground up.

Your p.grom is a bad idea, it's a kids bike, with kids sizing, it will feel smalleer than a BMX, you risk getting tire rub problems on your feet when you try to x-up or even simply turn, it has not been designed with adult sized feet in mind, nor an adult size person's weight. You're actually much better off with a BMX if you did grow up on those.