mtbr member
    Oct 2006

riding brakeless...

anyone down? it will be sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

dude

meh, i rode bmx brake less for 4 years,and it does give you the oppurtunity to learn greater control of your bike. i may build up a spare chase brakeless. joe prisel has a brakeless union street that is just badass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by afterbangin
    anyone down? it will be sweet.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????

If this is a legit question if any1 rides brakeless I ride a brakeless 20.

mtbr member

point??

what would be the point of riding brakeless?? it seems like it would be kinda dangerous if you ride around vehicles and such...Someone make a case for taking all the brakes off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    depends on the rider and the type of riding...

my current 26" urban/DJ bike has a rear bike, thinking of adding a front brake for trials fun.

my current road bike is a fixed-gear, brakeless. (ok so technically your legs are the brakes... stop peddling, the wheel stops spinning). you learn to pick your lines in advance, and get good at changing your lines while keeping speed.... but can stop rather quickly by just standing on the pedals

rode a BMX for years, with no brakes. foot jams wear shoes down, but no biggie. i will agree with some others that this really did help my riding... kept me from grabbing a handfull of brake; instead i had to ride things out. not sure how i'd feel about riding it in traffic, though.... but never had a problem back then.

eh, i'm sure everything i just said has been said elsewhere on the forums about a million times, so i'll shuddup, now...

h-town hucker
    im riding w/ a 6 inch rotor in the back. a front brake would come in handy sometimes, but im alright with just the rear. never brake-less tho.

MONKEYMAN
    Your cool factor is immediately negated the moment you slam into me because you don't have any brakes. Traffic is full of surprises, and I'm running BB7's.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    So I guess there isnt really much of a point to it, just to be macho or cool??? I can see it would be fun and exciting for a bike that is not going to see any traffic suprises, other bikes, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I notice a lot of BMX'ers go brakeless. They also ride helmetless. Hmmmm. Lets ride around on hard cement, jumping off things, bunnyhopping tall objects, and grinding down rails. Now lets add to the fun by not wearing helmets and getting rid of our brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

brakeless

im talking full out ski-lift assisted or shuttle runs brakeless.

im already macho and all that sweet stuff. i just think that it would be dope.

you can always go really fast and slow down but think about going really fast and never being able to stop. sounds like more fun to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    but seriously...

doesn't it piss you the **** off that manitous brake arch is reversed. ive tried so many times to do foot jams and its sssooooo sketchy.