The Beaver

Riding Backwards? How to 180 out

OK so I have been trying to learn some trials stuff, but I am having trouble getting out of a backward motoin. Lets say I am coming out of a front wheel pivot to a down slope and start rolling backward. I can make it about 6-8 feet everytime, but as I try to spin/rotate/pivot (whatever its called) out of thee backward motion I end up laying on the ground.

I have watched vidoes of ppl doing it but I still can't get it.

Thanks for the imput, The Beaver
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

I post too much.
    I usually lightly tap the brake or resist my pedals, steer in the opposite direction(say I want to go left, I steer to the right) and unweigh the front as much as I can, always looking at where I want to go.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    I usually lightly tap the brake or resist my pedals, steer in the opposite direction(say I want to go left, I steer to the right) and unweigh the front as much as I can, always looking at where I want to go.
    pretty solid advice. I'll add a few things...you can really grab some brake if you want, don't be afraid. Grab and release and you'll see quick improvement. Like Snaky said, steer opposite and unweight the fork. I find a really neutral position to work best. As you roll back, get your can over the rear wheel, then shift the weight to neutral as you grab some rear brake and turn the bars (all one motion really). As the bike begins to turn out, let go of the brake and pedal forward and bingo. Once you get the motion, you'll find it pretty easy and you'll use the brake less and the pedals more (again as Snaky mentioned). I recently began trying them brakeless and was surprised to find that its all the same, just a faster motion. That is the last point, don't try to go really uber slow, speed helps this as momentum actually works in your favor.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!