mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Recommended bike?

What Street/Dirt Jump bike would you recommend to a $700 - $800 budget beginner?
    Last edited by IonicRipper; 11-17-2006 at 11:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    2007 Specialized P.1 $770

I post too much.
    Kona's line of dirt jumping rigs, whichever one suits your needs. Giant STP, find an '06 on closeout if you can, or even a used one. If you can find a norco 125, 250 or 416 used, those are all great bikes too, but bit out of your price range I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ya, sucks to have a budget

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson605
    2007 Specialized P.1 $770
    My friend keeps telling me Specialized isint very good and since i dont know much about bikes yet, i dunno what to think. So is it true that specialized is more like a middle-end company?

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicRipper
    My friend keeps telling me Specialized isint very good and since i dont know much about bikes yet, i dunno what to think. So is it true that specialized is more like a middle-end company?
    So you're saying you want a high end bike...on a budget?

Specialized bikes are fine and no I don't work for Specialized.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well dont quote me but... isint Norco and Kona high enders?

Jesus Freak
    Apr 2004
    I know nothing about Norco.

Kona mass produces complete bikes so my opinion is that they are not that high end. Don't get me wrong, Kona makes awesome bikes but so does Specialized, Giant, Trek, KHS...you get the point.

In a nutshell, my idea of what is high end is buying a frame that cost as much or more than a lot of complete bikes. Frames that cost alot are generally made better, or at least that is the perception.

I don't find I have to ride a certain brand of bike to feel good about it. A good bike shop quality brand is enough for me. Just keep away from Wal Mart bikes and you'll do fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Um, the single speed steel P-Series Specialized. I'm too lazy right now to look up exactly which one it is.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been looking alot at the 2007 Specialized P.1 lately. It has most of what i want on a bike: low geometry, decent fort, single speed, disc brakes. I'll keep looking though, i've got all winter to decide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IonicRipper
    I've been looking alot at the 2007 Specialized P.1 lately. It has most of what i want on a bike: low geometry, decent fort, single speed, disc brakes. I'll keep looking though, i've got all winter to decide.
    Nothing like a bike with a decent fort. I like the two story kind where you can dump stuff on your enemies. I think we could use melted mashmellows make em look like the people at the end of the Ghostbusters movie.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

#1 Ho
    The P series is the best in my opionion and I have ridden a few urban/dj bikes and I feel most at home on the p. This in part might be because I own a 06 p.2 but I love it...what else can I say. Also specialized is a huge company that has been making quality bikes for a while. They have a bike in just about every price range.
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    All the bikes that were mentioned are all good bikes to start on. I have a Kona Stuff myself and love it. Mind you I changed out the forks and wheels so it's not stock anymore but when it was it was a good bike. I'd find one of those bikes at closeout, you'll get a good deal, maybe enough savings to build up maybe a good fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatemybike
    Nothing like a bike with a decent fort. I like the two story kind where you can dump stuff on your enemies. I think we could use melted mashmellows make em look like the people at the end of the Ghostbusters movie.
    What?!?!?

tuck-n-roll master
    Specialized is evil and I'm very biased. Go with the STP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone got an opinion on the DB Assalt. Pretty low price and good components, although the fork or fort I'm not sure about.

tuck-n-roll master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    Anyone got an opinion on the DB Assalt. Pretty low price and good components, although the fork or fort I'm not sure about.
    The Assault is a great bike. Good components for a good price. The fork on the 07 is better than the one on the 06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cru Jones
    Yikes. We need to add about 10 years onto that age. Unless she's a smokin hottie, then maybe 5...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I just came back from the bike dealer and they told me that the Specialized P. series have sort of flexible rear bars (the ones that hold the wheel, i have no idea what they are called). Its not intentional its just supple aluminum. Is that true? They also told me about an other problem but i cant remember what it was... something to do with the crankset i think.
    Last edited by IonicRipper; 11-17-2006 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Does any one know about those problems? Did you guys ever notice some flex in the rear bars or had problems with the crankset?

mtbr remember
    the rear "bars" are called the "stays" or more specifically, the:
    "Seatstays" - goes from the rear axle up to the seat, and the
    "Chainstays" which goes from the rear axle behind the chain, forward to the cranks.

I have no clue what kind of bunk LBS (lbs = local bike shop) that you are going to who would feed you all this propaganda and then not even tell you what it means or try to back it up... What are they trying to make a sale, prevent a sale, or just spread rumors through people looking to get into the sport???

That said, typically aluminum frames are generally stiffer, almost unforgivingly stiff, but this is VERY relative to the tubing used and how it was manufactured. Steel is usually more forgiving and gives a more supple ride, not really flex, or at least not in a negative sense. I Love steel. but I've never ridden a steel Pseries so I can't speak for that bike. I don't think you should have a problem with the flex though, and next time if you do go to this same LBS, ask THEM to explain what kind of crap they are feeding you, not just make you guess about it while they hold their noses high in the air and snort.

as for the crankset... don't know either, but if you do break it, take it back to the LBS and ask them what the hell happened.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the rear "bars" are called the "stays" or more specifically, the:
    "Seatstays" - goes from the rear axle up to the seat, and the
    "Chainstays" which goes from the rear axle behind the chain, forward to the cranks.
    I'll go to bed less stupid tonight .

I have no clue what kind of bunk LBS (lbs = local bike shop) that you are going to who would feed you all this propaganda and then not even tell you what it means or try to back it up... What are they trying to make a sale, prevent a sale, or just spread rumors through people looking to get into the sport???
    They are trying to make a sell. They sell only Norcos and so far i've talked about 2 very good reputated bike brand and they always have something to say against them.

That said, typically aluminum frames are generally stiffer, almost unforgivingly stiff, but this is VERY relative to the tubing used and how it was manufactured. Steel is usually more forgiving and gives a more supple ride, not really flex, or at least not in a negative sense. I Love steel. but I've never ridden a steel Pseries so I can't speak for that bike. I don't think you should have a problem with the flex though, and next time if you do go to this same LBS, ask THEM to explain what kind of crap they are feeding you, not just make you guess about it while they hold their noses high in the air and snort.
    So you would recommende a Specialized P.1?

as for the crankset... don't know either, but if you do break it, take it back to the LBS and ask them what the hell happened.
    Will do.