mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Reclaiming a lost DJ area. I'm looking for tips.

I met up with a Chris Eden who is with the AFS. They are the group who built the DJ trails at Burns Park here in N Little Rock. I helped him do a little digging up in the woods trail and we got to talking about the quarry, which is where all the main dirt jumps are. It's in horrible condition, basically it's not even ridable. From what Chris said it's been about two years since anyone really worked on it. In talking he gave me permission to do what I want with the area to get it back going again.

Here is my problem. I'm really not at all sure where to start. I don't have any friends who DJ or Freeride. I sold my truck and the only thing I have to transport tools and such in is my little two door Subaru Impreza. Furthermore there isn't a hose or water source except for a creek about 1000 feet away. Grass has taken over the entire are and what dirt is there is very rocky. It seams the good dirt the jumps were made from has eroded away.

So, with all that said, how should I go about reclaiming a once awesome, public DJ area?

mtbr member
    It sounds like the main issue is water. Dirt jumps require regular watering and sweeping to stay smooth and packed. In a Texas summer, this means watering them literally every day before riding.

So, either sort out the water source issue, before you do anything else.

Do you have pics?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No pics, I can grab some tomorrow or this weekend probably.

What are some ways I could solve the water issue? And I'm not going to go out and buy a 500gal tank, pump and trailer. Reasonable solutions please.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    If a 500gal. tank, pump & trailer are not reasonable, how about learning to rain dance?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    A shovel, A rake, and A LARGE Watering Can. I dig most of our jumps near swamps to avoid watering. We just started reclaiming two areas near me. (NH) But we just reclaimed a set near a dry area and one near a local pond. The jumps near the pond are always nice and fresh, but the dry area needs constant watering to keep the jumps hard packed.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    just thinking out loud here. If there is a flattish area or depression, see if you can line it with plastic to collect rain water, and then take water from there to fill your watering can. black plastic is more sun-resistant.

as far as weeds, i like roundup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I work construction so I usually use 15 lb felt paper and bury it in the dirt.. Its a cheap way of keeping the weeds down temporarily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Check local classifieds for a water pump, In the past we have used small gas powered pumps to get water to our trails, from ponds or rivers. One of our local "trail bosses" has built a pretty intricate watering system at some trails in the area, he has routed the water from natural spring run off.

I like the idea of trapping rain water, you could get a 55 gallon drum to store the run off in, run tarps from tree to tree direct it into the drum? Dunno just trying to come up with something? haha

Utah is really dry and it isnt easy to find spots with all the right stuff, usually trails are drier than we would like but its just how it goes. That or get creative and put in tons of labor.
    Want a one of a kind bike? Message me for a one of a kind paint job.

The internet is a tough place to ride

Rogue Exterminator
    You can buy a used gasoline powered water pump and hose reel way cheaper than $500.
    If the creek is 1000 feat away and has ample water you wouldn't even need a water tank. You could just run a second hose directly to the creek which will save the issues of refilling a tank.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just sent an email yesterday to mountainbike Arkansas on this very site. I live on little rock area and would love to help out on this!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coty52 View Post
    I just sent an email yesterday to mountainbike Arkansas on this very site. I live on little rock area and would love to help out on this!!
    Cool! What did they say back?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    don't be surprised if they tell you not to work on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    don't be surprised if they tell you not to work on it.
    Why is that?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    It will probably involve something about non-sanctioned trails on potentially private property and not endorsing outlaw trails and maybe throw in something about erosion and sustainability, and if they are in just the right mood, they will tell you that people like you are a danger to the rights of mountainbikers everywhere. Just be ready for it, and don't let it get you down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    These particular trails were sanctioned by the city and funds were originally donated to build it. The problem is the area was never maintained.